Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times

Advertisements

Batavia to Naperville isn't so bad with 88, I've made the commute many a time. And while they're a little on the sleepy side, they're all great, beautiful towns. Maybe it would be better for the OP to move there if/when he starts a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 AM

15 posts, read 20,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I think most people would get VERY tired of that very quickly. You'd have to commute from your apartment/condo/house in Chicago to Ogilvie station, then reverse-commute all the way out to Geneva on the train, then take a taxi to your job in St. Charles, unless by some chance there's a Pace bus that goes that way.

What was wrong with the St. Charles/Batavia/Geneva recommendations that were made repeatedly in the other thread?

I am actually looking into the Geneva area. My budget is $850. So far the only places in my price range for a 1bedroom is naperville and wheaton..I have not found anything around the Geneva area yet.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I imagine OP is looking for something more lively and upbeat. Sounds like he's trying to find a place where ha can reasonably get to work in St Charles, while still having a decent social life. I don't know if any of these 3 town (St Charles, Batavia, Geneva) would be a place where a single guy not from the area would be happy. Those towns all seem pretty family-oriented, but I really don't know them very well.

Naperville is pretty darn far from St Charles, with no interstate connecting them - the drive will be all state roads. Google says 30 minutes, but in reality, door to door?

Do you think that door to door would take a lot longer than 30 mins? Im not familiar with the state roads down their. I really dont want to drive more than 25-30 mins. I am looking into the Geneva area.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
To St. Charles, yes, to Batavia, not as bad, especially depending on the traffic. Since Batavia, Geneva and St. Charles are more family-oriented, I don't think there are lots of apartments in the towns, but still keep on looking, I'm sure there's bound to be something there.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Hey does anyone know if Lombard is a good place to live?- decent rent, things to do, etc?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
I do not know what is wrong with either st. charles or geneva. both are great towns. I suggest you look there. I do not know why everyone thinks all the young people go in droves to the city. I will say it once again. about half the young people hate the city and would prefer to live in the burbs. the other half can not leave here fast enough. I know this as a mother of a twenty something and his friends. even back in the day it was not true. None of my cousins ever moved to chicago. they all stayed in the burbs I was the only one that went there.

Go to lifetime fitness in warrenville or buffalo wings near there or the movie theatres there and you will see young people in droves. they are out there just got to find them.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 AM

54 posts, read 148,514 times
Park Shore Apartments in Saint Charles has a 1br 1bath for $905-930 a month. I know it's a little over your $850 budget, but you will probably save at least $100 a month in travel expenses compared to living in Wheaton or Naperville.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I do not know what is wrong with either st. charles or geneva. both are great towns. I suggest you look there. I do not know why everyone thinks all the young people go in droves to the city.
Thinking back to my twenties, if I wanted to drink/party I would go to Forest Park, and also to JP Duggan's in Bensenville and Maxfield's in Palatine. None of those places were anywhere near close to me. I went there because my friends liked those places. In other words, living in, say, St. Charles, Geneva, Lombard, or wherever doesn't necessarily lock one into a social life entirely in that town.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
depending on where in naperville you live, the drive time will vary. I grew up in st. charles and was working there after college when I was living in naperville. there are good roads to drive, just not a direct route. Depending on what the poster is looking for, St. Charles does have quite a bit of night life with bars and restaurants. I have a college grad living at home since graduation and their group has hit the bars etc in st. charles quite often. With the price of gas going up at such a fast pace, I would think people would want to have no more than a 45 minute drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs