U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 12,091 times

Advertisements

I am going to start working in the west suburbs area of Chicago- Glendale Heights area. The company is planning on moving to St Charles in 2-3 months. I was looking at some apartments around Naperville and Wheaton area. A couple people were also telling me that living downtown chicago and taking the metro to work would be cheaper. Any ideas? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM

816 posts, read 1,249,754 times
If your company is moving to Saint Charles, I would not live downtown, that is a long way from downtown Chicago. Isn't St. Charles and Geneva chaper than Naperville? You'll eventually have a short commute.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM

21,616 posts, read 36,683,059 times
I sincerely doubt that there is any savings at all in either time or money when shopping for similar quality apartments in Naperville or Wheaton vs Chicago when work is located in EITHER St. Charles or Glendale Heights neither of which is served by Metra. You would need to work out a pretty complicated commute that involves suburban buses and/or overnight parking as well as the Metra leg, which is neither particularly timely NOR particularly inexpensive.

If you want to some place a little hipper than the suburbs where work it located and you are ok with a really long drive I am sure some folks would recommend a suburb that borders Chicago, but again due to very high travel times and relatively high rents that does not seem prudent.

If you just want to save on rent and be reasonably close to both the current work site Glendale Heights and the move to St. Charles you might be OK in some place like West Chicago, though I would caution that if the complex is noiser / rougher due to neighbors that do not respect the law whatever you save in rent may be lost to insurance claims / sleepnessnes...

Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM

5,460 posts, read 6,309,325 times
So why did you need a 2nd post within a week to ask the same question?
Moving to suburbs area of Chicago

Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
So why did you need a 2nd post within a week to ask the same question?
Moving to suburbs area of Chicago

I posted another, because I want to get some more insight. I am unfamilar with the whole state and the more insight and opinions the better. Plus a couple people were telling me that taking the Metra from downtown to st charles area would be a good idea. Thought Id include that in the question.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM

5,460 posts, read 6,309,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsigny View Post
I posted another, because I want to get some more insight. I am unfamilar with the whole state and the more insight and opinions the better. Plus a couple people were telling me that taking the Metra from downtown to st charles area would be a good idea. Thought Id include that in the question.
Perhaps better "etiquette" to bump your previous post with you newer criteria

Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM

73 posts, read 93,404 times
What's your budget? Batavia and Geneva are both beautiful towns that are close, and Elburn/the other unincorporated communities are on the rise as well.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
What's your budget? Batavia and Geneva are both beautiful towns that are close, and Elburn/the other unincorporated communities are on the rise as well.
Are they pretty lively cities? Are they good cities to meet people? I prefer the city over the country.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 PM

1,808 posts, read 1,123,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsigny View Post
Plus a couple people were telling me that taking the Metra from downtown to st charles area would be a good idea.
I think most people would get VERY tired of that very quickly. You'd have to commute from your apartment/condo/house in Chicago to Ogilvie station, then reverse-commute all the way out to Geneva on the train, then take a taxi to your job in St. Charles, unless by some chance there's a Pace bus that goes that way.

What was wrong with the St. Charles/Batavia/Geneva recommendations that were made repeatedly in the other thread?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,332,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
What was wrong with the St. Charles/Batavia/Geneva recommendations that were made repeatedly in the other thread?
I imagine OP is looking for something more lively and upbeat. Sounds like he's trying to find a place where ha can reasonably get to work in St Charles, while still having a decent social life. I don't know if any of these 3 town (St Charles, Batavia, Geneva) would be a place where a single guy not from the area would be happy. Those towns all seem pretty family-oriented, but I really don't know them very well.

Naperville is pretty darn far from St Charles, with no interstate connecting them - the drive will be all state roads. Google says 30 minutes, but in reality, door to door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs