U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,196 times
Default Schaumburg Schools/kids activities

Hi! Possibly relocating to Schaumburg from Ohio for husband's work. I have questions about how schools are assigned: do the kids just go to the nearest school in the neighborhood? (In my neck of the woods this is not always the case.) What are the best elementary schools? I've been interested in the Hoover school in particular. Also I wonder if anyone has cubscout information: where we live now every elementary school has its own pack. We would probably move this summer and want to get the boys involved right away. Any other information is greatly appreciated! (Please no info about other suburbs---husband's work is in Schaumburg and he has zero interest in a long commute, thanks!)
Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 PM

5,384 posts, read 5,717,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermergentroidgal View Post
Hi! Possibly relocating to Schaumburg from Ohio for husband's work. I have questions about how schools are assigned: do the kids just go to the nearest school in the neighborhood? (In my neck of the woods this is not always the case.) What are the best elementary schools? I've been interested in the Hoover school in particular. Also I wonder if anyone has cubscout information: where we live now every elementary school has its own pack. We would probably move this summer and want to get the boys involved right away. Any other information is greatly appreciated! (Please no info about other suburbs---husband's work is in Schaumburg and he has zero interest in a long commute, thanks!)
Shannon
Attendance boundaries are by address and are not always going to send you to closest school: Versatrans e-Link - Login (http://elink.sd54.k12.il.us/elinkrp2/Students/BasicTransBoundarySearch.aspx - broken link)
High School district: D211 Home
Your comment about no info regarding other suburbs is a little narrow minded. If your husband worked at Motorola for example, some sections of Rolling Meadows and palatine would be much closer than many sections of Schaumburg. So it really depends on WHERE in Schaumburg he works.
Schaumburg is not a bad place, at all. Some find it a bit too cookie cutter with too much traffic and others like it quite a bit.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:58 PM

He will be working about one mile west of Woodfield Mall. Not trying to be "narrow minded" but we would prefer to live somewhere where he does not have to get on a freeway or toll road to get to work. Please be kind! I've never even been to Illinois and I haven't a clue of what this town is like!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 PM

OK, plenty of neighborhoods in Schaumburg and even parts of Hoffman Estates. Schaumburg has some newer neighborhoods, but many built in the 60's and 70's. Palatine is more mixed IMO. You can consider southern Palatine and be at work in 15-20 minutes via surface streets especially if you stay south of Palatine and close to Meacham or Roselle. Fremd HS is highly regarded.

I would start by researching schools and then do a pre-move visit to see which town has the vibe you like better. Housing budget and requirements will also play into this.

I can kind of relate; about 8 years ago I had an offer to take a job in Lebanon, OH. I looked at housing and surroundings there and also looked in Mason. They had different vibes. Decided to take another job that kept me close to family and friends here in IL.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the input! This is kind of out of the blue. We will definitely visit before we decide!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 806 times
How long is train ride if living in Schaumburg going to North Chicago, California St.?
We might be relocating?

Can you tell me realistic expectations for driving vs. train for time frames?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1234 View Post
How long is train ride if living in Schaumburg going to North Chicago, California St.?
We might be relocating?

Can you tell me realistic expectations for driving vs. train for time frames?
North Chicago is a SUBURB. The location you provided is Chicago.
Here is a link to Metra's schedule. I believe Western Av. is closest station. This also depends where on California Av. your location is.
Milwaukee District / West (MD-W) Schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs