U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,479 times
Post Farther-out suburbs?

My fiance and I are looking to buy our first home in the Chicago suburbs because I'm pregnant. Right now we live with my parents in Elmhurst, so we want to go out soon. My husband's job allows him to live almost anywhere (truck driver), so he has given me the steering wheel. I'm looking for a certain feel that I had when I spent my summer with my cousins in Wisconsin. Our budget is around $160,000 and we're looking for a 3+ Bedroom home.
I really want a small town feel, family oriented and good schools.
I'm looking for farther out suburbs because I want it to be quiet also because I think prices might be a little lower because it's farther from Chicago (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Any ideas? I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,479 times
Did some research but still don't know much. What about Yorkville or Oswego?

Unread 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 3,507,597 times
Are you only looking north?

Monee, Crete, Beecher or Peotone can work.. Maybe even further our closer to Kankakee.

Unread 02-29-2012, 11:31 PM

34,856 posts, read 50,261,754 times
If you want to be far out and have that sort of "Wisconsin" feel then the best place to get it is the lake communities right on the Wisconsin line in Lake County -- places like Antioch, Round Lake Beach, Lake Villa, Fox Lake, Richmond, et cetera, or maybe even across the border in places like Twin Lakes or Silver Lake WI. Your budget won't buy you a house on prime lakefront real estate or anything, but it can easily get you a cozy starter home.

Unread 03-01-2012, 07:07 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,384,093 times
Dont forget that some of the far out suburbs have very high property taxes.
Less industry and retail dollars to support the school system.

I believe the property taxes in WI are pretty high.

Give and take.

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:40 AM

3,132 posts, read 6,827,422 times
There are a number of areas that may work for you. I would suggest my hometown of Sugar Grove. It is just under 10,000 population, we have a nice mix of older and newer homes, both single family and townhomes. There are some really great housing prices currently. We are in the Kaneland School District.

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:41 PM

18,537 posts, read 46,803,585 times
How far out are you willing to go? You shouldnt have a problem finding something in that range in Sycamore, but thats a good 70 miles west of the city or so. Its quiet, safe, schools are decent, and its a cute little town.

Unread 03-04-2012, 04:59 PM

5,263 posts, read 3,532,871 times
If you are looking for a country feel, mchenry county would be more that way than Lake county if you are looking north...

Unread 03-04-2012, 07:32 PM

18 posts, read 38,120 times
Antioch, IL might have what you are looking for. Otherwise, why not go over the border into wisconsin? I would recommend Trevor, WI. It is just over the border and has pretty great schools for a small town. They just consolidated their schools with Wilmot, so there is a nice mostly new K-8 school in Trevor that is well rated and very nice. I know some parents there who are very happy with the school system. Might be worth checking out. Also, you're budget will go further in Trevor than most IL suburbs.

The downside of Trevor is that there isn't much shopping - you'll probably go to Antioch for groceries, or travel to Kenosha for more shopping. But when trying to find a good place to call home on a budget, it's all about trade-offs and compromises.

Congrats on the coming baby!

Unread 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM

31 posts, read 23,053 times
Sugar Grove and Elburn both have a nice country feel. There are a lot of foreclosures in Elburn--There are some newer neighborhoods there where people got in over their head. If you don't mind living in more of a cookie cutter neighborhood, you can probably get a short sale or foreclosure home that was built within the last 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs