Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM

169 posts, read 550,268 times

Advertisements

So it sounds like you are planning on having kids? I would definitely keep that in mind when buying since we now have two kids and thought we'd be out of our "starter" home by now. We are basically looking in the same price range as you and while Oak Park is great, make sure to pay attention to property taxes there. We currently live near Naperville and while we do like it, I do find it a tad conservative. Although that could be b/c I'm an atheist and moved from a very liberal neighborhood in Brooklyn and then Chicago. But comparing this area to where I grew up outside of Milwaukee, I would say it's much more accepting of gays. I have my personal reservations on a couple areas, but I have a feeling I'm stereotyping since I've only lived in IL for 6 years and only know some of these areas based on what I've read or heard from people and not b/c I've lived there. Overall I think you will be fine in almost any town, but there are jerks everywhere.

And *gasp* my husband and I very rarely hold hands or kiss in public, it's just not our thing! The shame!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,298,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
partner that wears a sequined dress and size 13 stiletto heels
The 80s called, they want their stereotypes back.

Just kidding, I know you wrote that in jest, but anyway, I imagine the OP was more concerned about differentiating himself from this part:

Quote:
, and spends way too much time in Boystown trying to score.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:22 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
I don't want to be offensive. I have many gay friends who do outrageous things because they do not know any better, or for shock value. I kid you not about 6'2", eyes of blue, stiletto heels and sequined dress. He also looks like a greek god; I hate him.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,298,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I don't want to be offensive. I have many gay friends who do outrageous things because they do not know any better, or for shock value. I kid you not about 6'2", eyes of blue, stiletto heels and sequined dress. He also looks like a greek god; I hate him.
No one on here has really been offensive just yet. Knock on wood.

And I know there's still a drag scene. Probably always will be.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 11,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
DIsagree completely! I think what most of us have been saying is that there are gay couples ALL OVER the Chicago area. I know of several here in Elgin and it's certainly not a trendy or Boystown type of place, maybe it appeals to the urban pioneering type who can get a great house for less than 1/2 what you'd pay somewhere more upscale.

At any rate, I would repeat my advice that I gave on page 1 to look at suburbs that have the other things on your list and you'll be fine. I am REALLY curious - where are you moving from?
DC metro, Alexandria

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Some people make their entire lives about being gay (most gay friends, frequenting gay activities, gay sports groups, gay book clubs, gay dance clubs, gay political involvement, etc).

Some people just live like people and just have a same sex person in their bed at night. It's nothing to do with self-loathing. It has to do with sexuality not being any kind of defining characteristic outside of when you're naked.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,985,566 times
I REALLY think you won't have any more problems in the Chicago suburbs than you do in the D.C. suburbs.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,180,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Seriously though, in the suburban midwest in 2012, a gay couple especially one considering children, will be in a rough go of it outside a handful of the often mentioned progressive suburbs. Regardless of whether they are the in your face type of gay or not.
Oh please. Go to meetup.com and look at the gay social groups that exist all over Chicagoland, including the south suburbs. Gay people in Orland Park, Lombard or Vernon Hills are hardly living in fear that angry villagers are about to burn down their homes.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,554,888 times
I see Berwyn was mentioned. It is a nice area with a lot of cute older bungalows which you could buy at a fraction of the price of the homes in neighboring Oak Park. A lesbian couple I know, who have two daughters, owned a house in the northwest section of Berwyn, and had no problems whatsoever. The only reason they moved was because the commute to work in Hyde Park got to be a bit much. (Well, for the one who works in Hyde Park!). The only drawback to Berwyn is that the schools, especially the high school, are not as good as Oak Park's.

BTW, I totally get being a "not-so gay gay". I consider myself one of those, too!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM

59 posts, read 308,301 times
::shrugs:: I'm a "low key" gay guy... 25, single, I live in Lisle, in a professional field working in Naperville. I dress nice, I'm 'coiffed', if you will... But nobody in DuPage county bats an eye at me, is offensive, or anything. If anything, they respect me MORE than the said queens because they look at me and perhaps see a "gay guy who can be a guy without wearing size 13 heels and hold a 9-5 job".

I know I just threw a lot of stereotypes out there, and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, but I think you'd be fine in the western suburbs.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
I think the OP couple will do just fine where ever they chose to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs