Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 AM

87 posts, read 415,259 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!

A while back I posted that my family was looking to move from the south suburbs into the city because of hubby's commute and kids' activities. Was tired of doing the I-57/Dan Ryan shuffle. My main concern was schools because my children would not test into the selective high schools so we needed to look in an area with good public schools. Again, thank you to everyone that responded and gave me really good input.

Fast forward. After doing research, talking with some parents, exploring areas of the city and going to an open house for a new charter school (which still had room for my kids without having to go the lottery route), I've discovered I'm not a city girl. The areas I'd want to live are either areas we can't afford or just too congested for my taste. So, instead of heading into the city, we're headed west. Which brings me to my question (sorry so long winded getting there!!)

We're looking at Lisle and Westmont because of there small high schools. I know a smaller school is best for my son (developmental delays) and my daughter (a good kid who "just wants to learn without all the drama", her words, not mine). The areas and schools look about the same on paper (Lisle has the edge on current test scores). I've gone through minutes from the school board and village board meetings, check what's going on in their local papers, what's offered through the park districts, what residents seems to be complaining about, etc. We drove around Lisle, walked the 2-block downtown, etc. Haven't had a chance to check out Westmont yet (beyond Pappadeux )

So for those of you who are familiar with the 2 towns, are there any big differences you'd notice? Does one have more of a community feel over the other? Better government, trustees? How about available home rentals (looked on realtor sites but I know from our area that several "for rent" signs are in yards where the houses aren't listed). Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Anyone? Pretty much looking for the school environments (strength of Principals, updated facilities, etc.). Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
There are some similarities -- both are Unit Districts, modest sized, adjacent to larger, more highly rated school districts, better affordability...

The low end of Westmont is probably a bit lower than Lisle, and Lisle's high end is probably a little higher, but otherwise they are very close in housing costs...

School wise the things I would look at VERY closely with a need for special services is how accommodating AND what is the total outlay that the districts have willing to do for special ed. My gut says that Lisle probably has the edge, but I would definitely try to meet with administration in both district before I start planning a move...

Old 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks Chet for your input. My gut is also leaning towards Lisle, but right now it's based on paper (website and board minutes from the past year). I've driven around the area, but have yet to tour both the jr. and sr. high schools. I still need to check out Westmont before the end of the school year.

Wouldn't mind being in the Naperville or Hinsdale area simply because there are more rentals available (like 80 compared to 30 or so, which falls off to about 8 within the 202 attendance area) but I know those schools are just too large for my son to handle/navigate. And of course I say that not knowing what the environment is for special ed students (how inclusive classes are, specific programs, etc.), but my momma-spidey sense is telling me to stick with the small schools. Will definitely follow up on your suggestion to meet, or at least set up a time for an indepth phone conversation. Again, thanks for responding.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
IL schools must educate all school age children who are able to attend school. This is not to say that counties, communities and schools do not pool services, because the do when necessary. I suggest you talk to the school Superintendent for the correct school to fit your children's needs. School districts are just not a one-size-fits-all of the past.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Not sure how things are handled downstate / in other counties but in DuPage Co the "county" really has almost no role in education. The various districts do form "cooperatives" for some special ed services. Westmont (D201) is in SASED, as in Lisle (D202) -- SASED
http://www.dupage.k12.il.us/pdf/Spec...Facilities.pdf

My experience is that the "building level" personnel tend to be a little more helpful than the "district level" personnel like Superintendent or Director of Special Ed. The building level staff (principals, dept heads, teachers) seem to have less of the "political filtering" and give an honest summary of how classrooms are organized...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs