Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 AM

20 posts, read 23,544 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Firstly, thank you for reading my post. Recently, I was accepted to a school in Chicago, IL which I'm looking to pursue. My boyfriend of 8 years requires a job to move with me. My program begins in late August.

We're willing to move at any time from now until August. Are there any suggestions? The economy has been terrible since we graduated undergrad in 2009. He's had a steady job as a Physical Therapy Aide for 3 years. He also has volunteered at a non-profit for a few years as well. He has a Sociology B.A. Degree. He also has a lot of construction experience. He's willing to do pretty much anything - as long as it's stable money.

Any suggestions/connections would be amazing. We've been looking in Algonquin to live and I will commute to Chicago. But, we're open to any suburbs. I would love to have a 35,000-50,000 population ish vibe with some trails to run/bike, possibly rock climbing, rivers etc. We're more suburban people than city people.

I've heard how hard it is to get a job in Chicago, and I'm just terrified. He is currently looking in Algonquin for jobs through newspapers and careers.com. We have family in Chicago - which I've suggested using their address as his for now.

Please help!! Any info will be appreciated! or tips! This is my dream and I want my partner with me.
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Congratulations on your possible relocation.
I can only give you my experience from what I have heard from others.

Suggestion for you is to contact the school you would be attending, I am sure others have done this as well and maybe they can help you with a potential employer.

A good positive - your in the medical field which i would imagine is a lot easier than other fields right now.

Please be positive!

The job market is not as bleak as many portray.

I am not sure what type of experience you have but the service industry is always looking for talented people
waiters, servers etc.
The catering business is a good source of part time income for many.
Retail from what I hear also has many opportunities..
Not trying to isolate you into any one field but the usual suspects of part time employment.
The positions are out there.

You seem like a positive guy and I am sure you will not have a hard time finding employment if you carry your enthusiasm as in your message.

Good luck and keep the board updated on your search.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM

935 posts, read 3,446,992 times
Algonquin is beautiful, but I would not want to commute from Algonquin to Chicago. You are looking at $130+/month in metra fees. Metra does NOT have student discounts for college students. I would try to get closer to the city. Places you can live on a budget that include good access to outdoor recreation are:

Elk Grove Village or Schaumburg close to Busse Woods

Northside around Evanston which is not super far from Skokie Lagoons, Chicago Botanic Gardens and the Des Plaines nature preserves that run all along the river and of course Lake Michigan. There are uninterrupted trails along the Des Plaines River and along Lake Michigan.

Elmhurst through Wheaton along the Prarie path. Again, Wheaton is a 50 minute train ride to the city and a monthly pass is over $130/month. Elmhurst will be a bit cheaper and about a 35 minute train ride. But the Prairie Path is a pretty bike trail that you can ride all the way out to the Fox River and then connects to a trail system out there. You can also connect to trails around Blackwell Forest Preserve, Herrick Lake and the trails at Fermi Lab. I lived in Lombard about 1/2 block from the Prarie Path and loved it for running and biking. On Saturday, I'd jog 3 miles up to Glen Ellyn and get breakfast at a little cafe before returning home.

Palos heights area has Waterfall Glen.

Kayaking is popular on the Fox River, there is some kayaking on Des Plains as well and on the Chicago River.

If you are very very serious about cycling, I think the biggest cycling clubs are either towards Evanston, or up by the Barrington/Algonquin area. There are more hills and lots of lovely streets for riding out that way. Several racing teams in the area train up in that neck of the woods.

There is no outdoor rock climbing around Chicago. You have to go up to Devil's Lake in Baraboo WI for that.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM

921 posts, read 1,095,526 times
[quote=TheWayISeeThings;23623313]Algonquin is beautiful, but I would not want to commute from Algonquin to Chicago. You are looking at $130+/month in metra fees.

Just FYI...Algonquin is served by either Crystal Lake, Cary, Fox River Grove Metra or Barrington. That will be either Zone G, H or Zone I and the monthly ticket price will be way more than $130.
Zone G (Barrington) ~ $178, Zone H ~ $192 and Zone I ~ $206.
Plus your travel time will be at least an hour on express trains.

Village of Algonquin, Illinois - Transit

Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Wow! Thank you all for the information. First of all, I'm a female .
Secondly, my boyfriend has a B.A. Degree in Sociology with non-profit experience and has worked as a physical therapy aide for 3 years. He also has a lot of construction work. He's just looking for a stable income around 30k.
Thirdly, my tuition for the graduate school includes metra fees - they pay for it, it's not a discount. In my acceptance letter it even suggests if you are a more suburban type or person - you should take advantage of that environment - as a doctorate program is high stress you will need the comfort of your own home to survive. Hehe!

BTW I love kayaking so that is an amazing suggestion! I sure do appreciate all the info. You all are great!!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM

935 posts, read 3,446,992 times
Hey, paid Metra is a heck of a nice perk!! In that case, you might also want to consider Geneva IL which is right on the Fox River, has bike paths all along the river as well as a nice kayak shop downtown. Evanston may be a bit larger than you are looking for, but it also has good access to waterways and bike paths. Or even further north along Skokie.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the shop, Geneva Kayak, offers rentals, and sponsors a number of weekly paddles. They rent really nice boats at that! I'm talking $2500 fiberglass boats, not an $800 fat bottom plastic model. I used to do the kayak & coffee on Saturday morning, and for $30 you get the boat, good company and plenty of instruction from local veterans. There is a put in directly in front of the shop at the top of the dam.

Last edited by TheWayISeeThings; 03-29-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
I would think that physical therapy would be a good field in Chicago. There are plenty of medical centers and gyms and such where your bf might find work. I agree that Algonguin is pretty far out though if you are going to commute into Chicago. I think you should contact your school and see what kinds of apartments they might help you with. You may want to live somewhere between school and work.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 AM

Thank you everyone. I am loving all of these suggestions! I'm going to check out some of the other suburbs you all have listed. I sure do appreciate everyone taking the time to write this out .

Old 03-31-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Algonquin is beautiful, but I would not want to commute from Algonquin to Chicago. You are looking at $130+/month in metra fees. Metra does NOT have student discounts for college students. I would try to get closer to the city. Places you can live on a budget that include good access to outdoor recreation are:

Elk Grove Village or Schaumburg close to Busse Woods

Northside around Evanston which is not super far from Skokie Lagoons, Chicago Botanic Gardens and the Des Plaines nature preserves that run all along the river and of course Lake Michigan. There are uninterrupted trails along the Des Plaines River and along Lake Michigan.

Elmhurst through Wheaton along the Prarie path. Again, Wheaton is a 50 minute train ride to the city and a monthly pass is over $130/month. Elmhurst will be a bit cheaper and about a 35 minute train ride. But the Prairie Path is a pretty bike trail that you can ride all the way out to the Fox River and then connects to a trail system out there. You can also connect to trails around Blackwell Forest Preserve, Herrick Lake and the trails at Fermi Lab. I lived in Lombard about 1/2 block from the Prarie Path and loved it for running and biking. On Saturday, I'd jog 3 miles up to Glen Ellyn and get breakfast at a little cafe before returning home.

Palos heights area has Waterfall Glen.

Kayaking is popular on the Fox River, there is some kayaking on Des Plains as well and on the Chicago River.

If you are very very serious about cycling, I think the biggest cycling clubs are either towards Evanston, or up by the Barrington/Algonquin area. There are more hills and lots of lovely streets for riding out that way. Several racing teams in the area train up in that neck of the woods.

There is no outdoor rock climbing around Chicago. You have to go up to Devil's Lake in Baraboo WI for that.
This post was very helpful. Thank you so much for all of the information. Just as some more background - currently, I drive about 200 or more miles a day (for my job). So the distances aren't scaring me so much as the idea that the trains may not run all day/everyday. And, my assumption is the one's that will stop running will be the ones to the suburbs. Is this accurate??

Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Metra Home check out the train schedules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs