Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiejenn View Post
We like the Cary/Crystal Lake area too but can't find as much in our price range! .

There are a LOT of REOs in Crystal Lake that are under $200k if you have the right Realtor and a lot of patience.

I have a number of friends snatching up foreclosed 2BR condos in the $40-60k. I have seen a lot of foreclosures SFH for about $150. Of course, some of them may need some work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM

29 posts, read 118,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are a LOT of REOs in Crystal Lake that are under $200k if you have the right Realtor and a lot of patience.

I have a number of friends snatching up foreclosed 2BR condos in the $40-60k. I have seen a lot of foreclosures SFH for about $150. Of course, some of them may need some work.
This is good to hear! We are definitely looking for a SFH with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for our growing family. We don't mind cosmetic projects but major fixers are not in the budget (sadly, we are not very handy). I did a quick check on Realtor.com and found some nice homes for short sale in our price range. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiejenn View Post
This is good to hear! We are definitely looking for a SFH with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for our growing family. We don't mind cosmetic projects but major fixers are not in the budget (sadly, we are not very handy). I did a quick check on Realtor.com and found some nice homes for short sale in our price range. Thanks for the heads up!

A few more comments.

I do not think that the tax rate differential is going to be all that much as the property taxes here seem to grow at a 5% clip each year, even with the declining real estate market. Many of the communities in the area have had major school building projects that will need to be paid in the coming years.

My wife commutes from Woodstock to St. Charles (once a week). When we moved here, it was a 55 minute drive. It is getting to be a 65-70 minute drive as IL-47 and Randall Road are both far more congested. Before you shell out for a house, make a couple of test runs DURING RUSH HOUR.

You should look at bank owned properties over short sales. The latter take forever to get the bank approval. We have had bids on no less than six Woodstock area condos and had to wait 120 days before the bank rejected our bids. Banks are very motivated sellers when the properties are on their balance sheets. You need to find a great REALTOR with significant experience in the communities you are interested in.

I suggest that you drive around a lot of the neighborhoods in this area and see what you like in the various communities. Some like LITH as the homes are a lot newer than the housing stock in Crystal Lake. Also, it is a newer community. In some neighborhoods, you may sense some resentment toward newcomers.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:14 PM

121 posts, read 199,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The schools are better in Crystal Lake too, no?
They're phenomenal. I've lived here most of my life and love it. The OP should check what's available, don't assume you can't afford Crystal Lake, there are some deals out there.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
I keep thinking about the commute from Crystal Lake to Aurora. That is a long commute. How permanent is the job? I would consider renting a home so if job change is anticipated it is easier to move. I would see if there is something close to budget in Batavia, Geneva or St. Charles. Naperville also. Maybe the west side of Aurora (not sure how the schools are) or Sugar Grove.
I know it is reassuring to live close to family, but if you are still within an hour to 1:15 for weekend visits, isn't living close to work a better solution?!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 PM

29 posts, read 118,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I keep thinking about the commute from Crystal Lake to Aurora. That is a long commute. How permanent is the job? I would consider renting a home so if job change is anticipated it is easier to move. I would see if there is something close to budget in Batavia, Geneva or St. Charles. Naperville also. Maybe the west side of Aurora (not sure how the schools are) or Sugar Grove.
I know it is reassuring to live close to family, but if you are still within an hour to 1:15 for weekend visits, isn't living close to work a better solution?!
The job is permanent, however, yesterday my husband learned the lease on their location in Aurora will be up soon and they are re-locating. We have no idea where or when, so I guess our search will be on hold until we know for sure. I can't imagine them going any further south though.
My mom is disabled and can't get out much and her granddaughter is her life, so we need to be relatively close for weekly or bi-weekly visits.

Thanks for your input!

jlawrence - Thanks for your comments! That sounds like a rough commute, and that will definitely weigh into our decision. The plus side is that my husband works an early morning shift - he usually leaves the house around 3-4am and is home in the afternoon, so he misses rush hour traffic.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koriemo View Post
Personally, I think that Fox River Grove schools are best... Some areas of Algonquin/LITH attend Fox River Grove schools. There are also some areas of Algonquin that attend Barrington schools, which are good but Barrington High School is very wealthy.
No part of Algonquin attends Barrington Schools.

The number of kids from wealthy families who attend Barrington schools is about the same as the number who qualify for and participate in the National School Lunch Program.

Fox River Grove feeds into 3 different high schools, Cary-Grove, Barrington and Dundee-Crown.

Some towns feed into as many as 5 different high- schools.

When a particular school is desirable, always verify information and school boundaries.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:37 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No part of Algonquin attends Barrington Schools.
Correct, thanks for clarifying this. I also don't think Algonquin/LITH feeds into any Fox River Grove schools as the poster indicated?

Old 04-07-2012, 03:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Correct, thanks for clarifying this. I also don't think Algonquin/LITH feeds into any Fox River Grove schools as the poster indicated?
LITH feeds into Jacobs, Crystal Lake South and Huntley.

I guess if one wanted to get technical....parts of Algonquin and Fox River Grove feed into Dundee-Crown. Then again, a slice of Barrington Hills does, too.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
LITH feeds into Jacobs, Crystal Lake South and Huntley.

I guess if one wanted to get technical....parts of Algonquin and Fox River Grove feed into Dundee-Crown. Then again, a slice of Barrington Hills does, too.

Since you are more in the know that I am, I have a couple of questions that I am being asked by people moving in the area.

I have heard that Huntley schools lag others in the area as the presence of Del Webb makes it more difficult to pass levies. On the other hand, the Huntley schools that I have been to are all brand new. What is your perception?

I have heard that Dundee-Crown is a rough school (with implication of gang activities). Is this true or a bit of an exaggeration?

Finally, I have heard nothing about Jacobs HS in twelve years? What is its rep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs