Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperH View Post
I was in a line of traffic on 294 one Saturday morning doing 94mph in my car - which is a Synergy Green Metallic Camaro SS. Except... that was with the flow of traffic. It was insane that morning. We were also practically bumper to bumper.
Just because the "flow" was going 94MPH doesn't mean you're forced to go along. That speed is (to use your own word) INSANE for the majority of drivers out there who cannot really handle that speed. 94MPH at near bumper-to-bumper? Not cool.

You do realize that one mistake by someone ahead of you, and many of you guys who were "going along with the flow" would have been maimed or killed? Why not get in the right lane and go 80MPH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:25 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,641 times
Quote:

I was in a line of traffic on 294 one Saturday morning doing 94mph in my car - which is a Synergy Green Metallic Camaro SS. Except... that was with the flow of traffic. It was insane that morning. We were also practically bumper to bumper.

I have always called the Tri State the "survival of the fittest" tollway. It is amazing to me how different the attitudes are from one tollway to another. I personally love the Tri state because most people keep it moving and act like they actually have somewhere to be that day. But you look at I355 and it is like the "lazy Sunday" tollway. It is the most irritating ride because they all space themselves out going barely the limit so it is impossible to pass. And, they brake incessantly for no apparent reason.

I agree with the previous poster regarding the bumper to bumper 94mph though....that is just plain crazy!

I disagree with the idea that if you are in the flow of traffic that they won't stop you. I have been with a group moving the same speed and seen one car culled out for speeding. Basically if you are going excessive in a group or alone you are probably going to get tagged.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-28-2012 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: fixed html tag

Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Parts of 355 is light ..south of bolingbrook

294 is the king of flow.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 PM

217 posts, read 581,334 times
355 during the morning rush is fine, most people doing 80mph knowing where they are going and what exit they get off at / what lane the need to be in and when they need to be in it. It's when you get on at 10am to 3pm that I call amateur hour(s) seems some people are on a Sunday drive. The weekends on 355 are about the same amateur day(s). Now I'm not knocking those "amateurs" but the people who drive the 355 every day know the route/where the police hide and the speeds everyone goes. I find that top speed is about 85 but 80 is normal.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Geeeez Oh Pete...

I know that State Police is well below its peak manpower, but if 80 is normal, some 25 MPH above posted limits, things have been deteriorated to the point that lives are at risk. This past weekend I had to drive to the Niles MI area and posted speed limits for CARS were 70, and TRUCKS have to keep things to 65. Exits are VERY much further apart on 80 than 355, there is FAR less curving of the roadway, the while thing is MUCH safer than 355. Rarely did I see any cars go much above 75, and the trucks generally stayed under 70.

Can you tell me the color of your car so I can STEAR CLEAR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
... I find that top speed is about 85 but 80 is normal.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 PM

217 posts, read 581,334 times
Chet, I don't know what to tell you except drive the 355 from the 80 north from 5:30AM to 6:45AM when its still clear sailing and you will see what I'm saying. It starts to back up a bit north of the Boughton toll booth at around 7AM. Consider yourself lucky if you don't have to drive the tollways everyday during the rush and experience 80mph (Warp speed) traffic. I will say I have never seen a wreck or rarely hear of a wreck on the 355. (knocking on wood)

Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T. View Post
Hi everyone. I recently relocated to Chicagoland from Minneapolis for a job opportunity. I'm all set with my I-Pass and IL plates, etc. Today, I noticed a nifty little sign at all of the I-Pass lanes that I haven't seen before - It says something to the effect of: "Motor Vehicles Only - Speed Radar Enforced".

What in the heck does that mean? That has to be about the most vague verbage I've ever heard. I know that there are other states that clock your time between paying tolls to send out violations... But do they REALLY expect me to drive 55 between Lisle and Naperville? Anyone would be squished like a bug if that was the case.

SO, if anyone could shed some light on this interesting little tidbit, that'd be awesome! I want to be sure I don't have a stack of speeding tickets being mailed my way.

Thanks!
-Andrew

"Speed Radar Enforced" means I always drive with a radar detector.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:14 PM

15 posts, read 45,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Just because the "flow" was going 94MPH doesn't mean you're forced to go along. That speed is (to use your own word) INSANE for the majority of drivers out there who cannot really handle that speed. 94MPH at near bumper-to-bumper? Not cool.

You do realize that one mistake by someone ahead of you, and many of you guys who were "going along with the flow" would have been maimed or killed? Why not get in the right lane and go 80MPH?
The right lanes were congested - relatively so, the spacing was even tighter; the right most lane was going about 65.

I agree it's insane to go to that speed with that type of spacing. If you look in Google Maps arial view right in front of O'Hare Airport (I90/Jane Addams) - as an example - use the scale and see that those people are 40 to 80 feet apart. There is no congestion. History with that road tells me they were doing at least 75mph. Stopping distance at that speed for most vehicles would be about 300'. Considering a midpoint - 60' - as a buffer, that's only allowing for 20% error assuming no accidents in front.

My point is not to state whether this driving method is safe or not. Without argument, it's not. My point is to state that this is what can, and does happen on a regular basis on the tollway system around the metro. With four lanes in each direction, you're safer in either left or right with the wide shoulders available, so that you have a place to dive in the event someone hits either the brakes or the vehicle in front of them. Everyone should be well aware of the risks they take daily (but they probably aren't).

That said, I generally do take the fastest lane. I do NOT weave in and out of traffic. If my lane slows for a bit - so be it - it doesn't mean I have to zip into a lane going 2MPH faster... without using my turn signals... two lanes over. My commute to/from work has ranged anywhere from 20mph to 90mph. The left lane is faster toward work (people aren't in a hurry to get into work, so they try to save fuel), and the right lane is faster from work (people are in a hurry to get home, but they perceive the left lane to be faster - so it gets more congested).

The problem with Illinois driving tactics is this: during busy times, if you leave space between you and the car in front of you, someone will pull into it - and this effect will continue until the spaces are full. Either you have to slow down to 20mph and be subjected to endless honking and "finger pointing", or avoid expressways altogether. The "bumper to bumper" scenario in busy conditions is difficult to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
I disagree with the idea that if you are in the flow of traffic that they won't stop you. I have been with a group moving the same speed and seen one car culled out for speeding. Basically if you are going excessive in a group or alone you are probably going to get tagged.
Knowing enough State police in a few states - usually those who get tagged are:
* Weavers, non-signalers, or bumper riders.

Sometimes an Officer will follow the "flow" for several miles before they identify the "a-hole", figuratively speaking. I could be wrong, but that was probably the scenario.

They could have even had a signal or marker light out.

----

The observances I've seen are basically this, when NOT congested:
Chicago (free) expressways (Ryan, Ike, etc.): 70mph (15-25 over).
Jane Addams in-metro: 80mph (25 over). Toward Wisconsin border: 85mph (20 over).
Tri-State: 85mph (30 over).
Veterans: 80mph (25 over).
Reagan in-metro: 85mph (30 over). Continuing Toward Iowa, I-88 tollway: 85mph (20 over). Continuing Toward Iowa, I-88 freeway: 70mph (5 over).

Last edited by SuperH; 05-25-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:

Knowing enough State police in a few states - usually those who get tagged are:
* Weavers, non-signalers, or bumper riders.

Sometimes an Officer will follow the "flow" for several miles before they identify the "a-hole", figuratively speaking. I could be wrong, but that was probably the scenario.

They could have even had a signal or marker light out.

----
All the cops I see in the midwest sit on the side of the road with a radar or laser gun. You can be weaving in and out of traffic all day long and won't be noticed if you are driving at the posted speed limit.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
If you are ticketed at 25mi over the speed limit you'll get hammered. Learn Scott's Law and avoid it like the plague. Go with the flow and NEVER ever go the minimum speed on the tollways. I've driven 55mph in the biggest cities in America (except NYC) and lived to tall the story. It isn't really a bad idea if you want to see your grandkids grow up. Drivingthisclosetothecaraheadofyou is not smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs