Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I don't know if what you say is true or not, but that isn't the reason why we pay more for gas in and around Chicago. The reasons pertain mainly to the special blend mandated in the city and TAXES.

[url=http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-06-19/business/ct-biz-0619-bf-gasoline-20110619_1_prices-rocket-gas-prices-crude-oil-prices]Why Chicago gasoline prices are so high - Chicago Tribune[/url]

Wow! Evidence that backs a claim. What a concept!!

Here's another [url]http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/rip-offs/what-gas-stations-wont-tell-you-19750/[/url]
"Stations earn on average between 10 and 15 cents on a gallon of gas. Ironically, they earn the least when prices are highest. When fuel climbs, gas stations must shrink their profit margin to remain competitive, meaning they earn less per gallon than usual."

I can't find anything about states having a "cap" on profits either. Can we argue about if landing on the moon was really a hoax next?

Last edited by jman07; 04-07-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Fools buy lots of gas for cars.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 AM

183 posts, read 338,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Frat boy bars are amazing. It is how you know your city is world class.

Haha
Frat Boy bars? wha? Who even mentioned bars? Venture outside Wrigleyville the next time you come up I 65. Maybe even do something that has nothing to do with booze and you'll see what I mean.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themag62 View Post
Frat Boy bars? wha? Who even mentioned bars? Venture outside Wrigleyville the next time you come up I 65. Maybe even do something that has nothing to do with booze and you'll see what I mean.
I-65? I don't live in Northwest Indiana.. I take I-57 to get to Chicago. Or Metra Electric.

And I have definitely ventured outside Wriglyville. In fact, "venture outside" suggests that Wrigglyville is the starting point which it isn't for me. As a kid, my dad took me to museums, Sox games, his job on the south side and his best friends house on the far southeast side.

Although you seem to know exactly what I'm making fun of!

Who is more enlightened or "world class" - someone whose weekend plans consist of getting drunk in Wrigglyville or someone whose weekend plans consist of eating at Olive Garden and shopping at Orland Square Mall? I say neither.

Last edited by urza216; 04-09-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
In all honesty, I don't know what the big deal is about people other than yourself getting drunk in Wrigglyville, eating at Olive Garden, getting excited over an indoor shopping mall or filling up their gas tank twice a week. Everyone has their own lifestyle choices and everyone is just getting through life the best they can. People like to judge one another. But it's so easy to flip the script on just about anyone who is being all snobby. And it's so easy to criticize just about anyone and tell them how they're harming the earth, harming society or not doing things that are very "world class". We're all filthy humans.

If you are wealthy you should be ashamed of yourself.
If you are poor, you're a failure.
if you're middle class, you're boring.
If you live in a suburb that isn't inner ring, you're a gas guzzler.
If you live in an inner ring suburb, why don't you live in the city?
If you are white and from the north side, you are a sheltered racist.
If you are white and from the south side, you are a pro-segregation racist.
If you are black and live the north side, you are an uncle tom.
If you are black and live on the south side, you are unenlightened and sheltered.
If you live in the suburbs, you are uncultured.
If you live in the city, you are a fool.
If you are a transplant, you aren't a real Chicagoan.
If you are a suburbanite, you aren't a real Chicagoan.
If you are from the city, you aren't from my neighborhood!
If you are from my neighborhood, why do you still live there? I got the hell outta that place!

lmao..

You know you are back in the Chicago area when you are being judged for something more specific than being from the Chicago area!

Last edited by urza216; 04-09-2012 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Everytime i go to chicago i spend about 100 dollars just on tolls and im only their for about a week and a half.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Everytime i go to chicago i spend about 100 dollars just on tolls and im only their for about a week and a half.
They do allow people from outside the area to buy I-Pass. That will save you quite a bit vs. cash tolls!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Default You know you are back in Chicago when:

You deal with whiney babies such as on this post who tend to complain about everything including the price of gas and tolls, even though they live in a beautiful place that is a first class city. I always come back to the Chicago area, especially from So. Cal and Arizona, and marvel how green this place is, from the south, how enlightened and free from extremists and hicks, from the east, how spacious with a lack of cramped neighborhoods and rowhouses, and on trips to downtown, how beautiful the skyline and lake are. I come back to my suburb and am amazed at the relative affluence of the suburbs, compared to the many dumps I have to visit on buisness trips. I am always amazed at how bustling downtown is after a flight from a dead city ( there are tons of them out there), back to a modern and well run airport ( either one). So to the whiners on this particular post, get out there and travel a bit then waste your time on City data complaining.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You deal with whiney babies such as on this post who tend to complain about everything including the price of gas and tolls, even though they live in a beautiful place that is a first class city. I always come back to the Chicago area, especially from So. Cal and Arizona, and marvel how green this place is, from the south, how enlightened and free from extremists and hicks, from the east, how spacious with a lack of cramped neighborhoods and rowhouses, and on trips to downtown, how beautiful the skyline and lake are. I come back to my suburb and am amazed at the relative affluence of the suburbs, compared to the many dumps I have to visit on buisness trips. I am always amazed at how bustling downtown is after a flight from a dead city ( there are tons of them out there), back to a modern and well run airport ( either one). So to the whiners on this particular post, get out there and travel a bit then waste your time on City data complaining.
I have traveled 46 of the 50 states and to 10 foreign countries. My elation of coming home is being increasingly drained by the corruption in Chicago, Cook County and Illinois that we are all funding through higher taxes and fees. And unless enough people get upset enough at election time, too many stupid lemmings will continue to vote the same way with the same results and the same corruption will continue be funded by you and me.
No doubt this area has a lot going for it. But instead of bending over and saying "thank you sir, may I have another" my complaints are designed to stir others into action and is not simply "whining".

Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
I have been to 25 states plus DC and 15 countries. In my experience, most desirable places to live or visit have higher costs associated with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs