U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 AM

5,029 posts, read 5,863,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
There really won't be any place within an hour of the loop that is rural. Sturtevant WI is a little over that by Amtrak. Not good for commuting but for the occasional trip to Chicago.
Sturtevant is a suburbs of Racine, which is practically a suburb of Milwaukee. Its not really rural.

If you want to be an hour from the loop, go south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 AM

4,054 posts, read 4,383,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

You are correct unless you have off peak commuting times, Peotone, would be a hard commute. Monee is a little closer, but I do know that people do that commute.
Metra is in University Park - A few minutes away from Monee.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,954,847 times
South Urza is suggesting Monee...
Peotone is inmo rural and I do believe its over an hour to downtown from there.

Good choice because it has some rural characteristics but it's also on the fringe of suburbia.

If you go to the West of Monee you could look at Manhattan , IL
West of Chicago you would be looking at Montgomery which is really now IMO in fill with neighborhoods and housing developments pre recession.

Sandwich,IL is more than an hour away but it has some rural characteristics that you suggested.

An hour from Chicago and you will pretty much be in suburbs still or exurbs

Old 04-12-2012, 11:35 AM

79 posts, read 95,818 times
If you live on the fringes of the Tri-Cities (Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles), you'll get what you're looking for.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 PM

1,895 posts, read 1,962,087 times
Well over an hour to the Loop, though.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM

178 posts, read 285,555 times
The Northerner: You might want to consider the very southern suburb of Manhattan, IL ... the loop would be right at about an hour's drive for you, but the homes would be in the price range you seek. Manhattan is the most rural village within the Lincoln-Way High School district. It offers a wide variety of home prices, ages, styles, and more. School districts are good, both in public school and parochial. The village is growing, but still maintains a small town feel and finds rural farms to the south. Churches include protestant and Catholic. I know Manhattan well, as both my wife and I grew-up there ... my wife on a farm, me in-town. Should you wish further information or a referral for a real estate agent to help you with rental properties, please don't hesitate to write or shout out. I'll help however I can. Best of luck, no matter your final decision.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 PM

4,054 posts, read 4,383,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfLover2 View Post
Manhattan is the most rural village within the Lincoln-Way High School district.
Understatement.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM

10 posts, read 13,994 times
Manhattan would be a good choice. Not much going on in the town besides your basics(one grocery store, one drugstore, a few bars and restaurants) but it is close enough to New Lenox, Frankfort, Joliet and Orland Park, that you are always10-20 minutes from just about everything you need.

There is a Metra train that runs to and from the town a few times a day. You can always hop on that if you want to head downtown and don't want to drive. The train takes around 1hr and 15 minutes, and I would expect driving to take the same.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 AM

5,962 posts, read 2,014,446 times
What about Huntley? There are two hospitals in Elgin and you wouldn't have to deal with Chicago traffic. I have friends that live in Elgin on the outskirts of town on a couple of acres. It feels like a different town. Pingree Grove is rural and close to Elgin as well.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM

2,750 posts, read 5,796,089 times
I am surprised no one has recommended Kenosha. You could probably find a house in subruban Kenosha, midway between the Freeway to Chicago and the Metra North Line. Two viable options...and driving at off times would be about an hour. The prices for rentals drop dramatically once you get into Wisconsin....so I would look into Kenosha, Pleasant Prairia or other small towns in Kenosha County Wisconsin.

The pro is that Kensoha County puts you smack dab betwen Chicago and MKE, many different attractions, modes of transport, the lake, safe living, decent schools...all for a good price. On the pther hand, semi rural south Chicagoland doesn't have nearly as much going for it as does this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs