U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:01 AM

27 posts, read 28,778 times
Default Flossmoor, Homewood, Frankfort or Oak Forest?

Hello! We may be relocating and are looking at a few areas south of Chicago. If we do move, it would be for employment at Governor's State University. We are a large family (three girls under age 5) and a dog! Any suggestions? We are looking for a family-friendly area with availability of running trails? We were scoping out Flossmoor, Homewood, Frankfort and Oak Forest, since they all have Metra stations. Thanks!!!

Last edited by amm240; 04-13-2012 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: change title and added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM

947 posts, read 1,252,400 times
I have lived in Oak Forest and Mokena. There is a great trail in Mokena called the Hickory Creek Trail. Will County renovated it a couple of years back and it is really well-maintained. Oak Forest trails were not so well maintained, esp. the dog waste on the trails.
Mokena has two metra stations and quite a bit of shopping and restaurants on LaGrange and on Hwy 30. Lincolnway schools are very good, and there are many neighborhood parks for the kids, along with a skate park.
Taxes in Will County are higher than Cook, though, so that is a drawback. Frankfort is the next town over and it also is very nice, boasting a quaint downtown area. They are also part of the Lincolnway school district.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 PM

3,967 posts, read 3,850,064 times
Why so north? There are so beautiful homes on the outskirts of Monee. Although in all honesty, I don't know how much I'd recommend living in central Monee. I go to sleep to the sound of coyotes howling. A truly wooded area (nothing like anything you'll ever find in Olympia Fields in spite of Allen's talk of "wooded lots"). It feels like your pretty far out in the immediate sense but you're only ten minutes away from Governor's State.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:42 AM

829 posts, read 1,041,740 times
Those are all good areas. I would think crete would also have to be considered. Many of the homes in Crete have some fantastic wooded lots sitting on several acres. Crete is a very nice neighborhood in a rural suburban setting. You will find that much of the top GSU faculty lives in crete.

If you want to live further in but still be in an area with lots of trees look at Flossmoor, Homewood, and Olympia Fields. There are also several expansive nature trails in and around these three towns. Olympia fields was just recognized this week for it's efforts in maintaining it's heavily wooded natural surroundings throughout the village. Olympia Fields receives Tree City USA status - Southtown Star

Old 04-15-2012, 04:57 PM

AM240,

Please consider Monee - particularly a house in the woods.. We've been trying to advertise the house to incoming employees at GSU. The fliers around campus haven't been put up yet. Check your private messages.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Thanks. Anyone have more insight on family friendliness?
We are looking more north, because all extended family is in Milwaukee, so that gets as a bit closer. We also want a Metra station nearby. I ahve zero desie to live near woods/forest. My husband likes these areas for running, but not to live. I am a city girl...

Old 04-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amm240 View Post
Thanks. Anyone have more insight on family friendliness?
We are looking more north, because all extended family is in Milwaukee, so that gets as a bit closer. We also want a Metra station nearby. I ahve zero desie to live near woods/forest. My husband likes these areas for running, but not to live. I am a city girl...
Milwakee? Really? If you said Chicago that would be one thing but Milwakee? There's no difference between driving all the way up to Milwakee from Homeood or Oak Forest than from Monee or Crete. You will notice a difference in your commute but not on a drive to Milwakee. Monee, University Park, Homewood, Olympia Fields, and Flossmoor are all the exact same area as far as Milwakee is concerned. I bet I can get there at least 15 minutes quicker than many Homewood residents the way I drive on the expressway.

Monee is very close to Sauk Trail and Lincoln Highway. It's the suburbs not the city but you can have the same desired filled here - it will just be a little more driving.

Last edited by urza216; 04-15-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 AM

We will check it out if the job comes through. We'll need minimum 4 BR with additional space (rec room ,office, etc).
urza216---thanks for you input. i realize the distance from the area to milwaukee is about 15 more minutes depending on where we live, but from what i have seen, i prefer the areas i listed (i think, anyways, without having visited yet). i know, for example there is almost NO real estate available in University Park itself...and no metra station.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amm240 View Post
We will check it out if the job comes through. We'll need minimum 4 BR with additional space (rec room ,office, etc).
urza216---thanks for you input. i realize the distance from the area to milwaukee is about 15 more minutes depending on where we live, but from what i have seen, i prefer the areas i listed (i think, anyways, without having visited yet). i know, for example there is almost NO real estate available in University Park itself...and no metra station.
Where did you hear that? There is a Metra station in University Park. It's on Exchange down the street from GSU..

That's why the Metra Electric is often referred to as "Chicago to University Park". If you're going to Homewood, you tell em in Chicago that you're catching the train to University Park. If you live in Flossmoor and get a train schedule, you will see the words "Chicago" and "Univesity Park" in big old letters on the front cover. Because University Park is the last stop. I'm really curious where you heard that there wasn't a Metra station there.

University Park has a Metra station. How could you miss it? And no, people in Crete and Monee aren't driving to Richon Park for Metra. It's nearby in University Park.

Last edited by urza216; 04-16-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM

It's actually kinda nice to be headed to the last stop on the Metra line. You can fall asleep and they'll wake your ass up at the last stop. If you're getting off at University Park then it's all good. If you gotta get off at Matteson or Homewood or Flossmoor then it pretty much sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs