Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 10,422 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
We are currently looking at the Bryn Mawr Community in Northwest Crystal Lake (2402 Bryn Mawr Ln) to build a new house. We are a young family with a 2 year old/ planning on adding a few more to the brood in the next few years. I work from home, husband works in northwest Arlington Heights. We love nature and are looking for a lot of land/privacy and somewhere to settle for an extended period of time. I can find very little on this corner of CL and was wondering if anyone has any insight into any negatives on the area? I am aware that the school districts are not superior (we would most likely go with private school). Does anyone have any information on this community, surrounding communities, types of people living there (families, retirees etc.), crime etc . Appreciate it!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:48 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
It is a nice, quasi rural area, BUT commuting to Arlington Heights will be a PITA and with what you will pay in property tax, to compromise on public schools and feel "obligated" to private increases expenses even more! And if your work from home changes and you need to find another job, being closer to the I-90 job corridor is also beneficial. I would say live closer to Arlington Heights.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
solid 1 hr + commute.

area sounds perfect for everything else you desire.

tough call

Old 04-16-2012, 02:07 PM

214 posts, read 546,167 times
Depending where he works in AH, Metra might be a good option.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM

^^^There are "quasi-rural" areas closer in.
^^If there is convenient transit from train station to work.
What about the Barrington area? Decent schools, some quiet areas, lots of trees and close to paths, forest preserves and parks.
I do like Crystal Lake, I just don't like the thought of commuting all that way. Bryn Mawr also seems to be cut off from the rest of CL. I don't remember paths or sidewalks going east on 176 connecting with the large park. Busy roads that are currently not bike or pedestrian friendly make you land locked and reliant on the car to go anywhere outside of the neighborhood for parks, walking and biking.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 10,422 times
Thanks all for the thoughts thus far....being land-locked is definitely a concern of mine and I couldn't really find any parks to walk to - currently we are in Arlington Heights and I have 4 parks within a 15 min walk. We are stuck in a very underwater Townhouse in Arlington right now and looking at a program with Marketplace Homes where they guarantee you rent for 6 years if you build with partner builders. As you can imagine, the builder sites are not in the ideal areas we would want to live (Lincolnshire, Buffalo Grove, Barrington) and we like the idea of getting a property manager for 6 years built into this effort vs. managing it all on our own (ponying up 65K to sell our house isn't our preferred option at this point). So, we are exploring all the areas these builders are developing in - Oswego, Huntley, West Elgin, Volo, Wauconda....Crystal Lake seemed like the best option, but maybe you all have some better info for me?
Thanks

Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove007 View Post
Thanks all for the thoughts thus far....being land-locked is definitely a concern of mine and I couldn't really find any parks to walk to - currently we are in Arlington Heights and I have 4 parks within a 15 min walk. We are stuck in a very underwater Townhouse in Arlington right now and looking at a program with Marketplace Homes where they guarantee you rent for 6 years if you build with partner builders. As you can imagine, the builder sites are not in the ideal areas we would want to live (Lincolnshire, Buffalo Grove, Barrington) and we like the idea of getting a property manager for 6 years built into this effort vs. managing it all on our own (ponying up 65K to sell our house isn't our preferred option at this point). So, we are exploring all the areas these builders are developing in - Oswego, Huntley, West Elgin, Volo, Wauconda....Crystal Lake seemed like the best option, but maybe you all have some better info for me?
Thanks
I have been looking at Marketplace Homes for over a year. I love the concept and especially if you own a place that can be rented at a reasonable rate, it seems like it could be a great way to go. The problem is, as you've noticed, the locations of their new communities really aren't great. After looking at the offerings for a really long time, I am just left with the feeling that builders are using Marketplace as a way to fill up developments that they are having trouble selling (because they're in car-dependent areas that are pretty far out).

I spoke with some people at Marketplace and they told me that one of the builders that they are partnered with in the Chicago area does custom built homes. I don't know what your budget is, but maybe that is really the way to go... use that particular builder to build a house on a lot in a location you actually want to be in for the long haul.

Personally, I had to give up the Marketplace idea because I just knew I would not be happy if I settled on a location that I don't love. I don't want to be moving every few years for the rest of my life, I want to find the right place and stay there. I would think about purchasing in a location I wasn't super happy with for a long time before I did it.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM

382 posts, read 825,065 times
My in-laws have a house there and so my husband grew up in Crystal Lake. If way out far away from everything is what you want, it certainly is that. I wouldn't choose the area simply because there is nothing to do there. It is not walkable at all, and you need a car to get everywhere. Plus, the commute to Arlington Heights would be an hour in rush hour. The schools are decent, but not excellent. However, it sounds like you want a very rural feel. I would check out Geneva or St. Charles. Prettier area imho with better schools and a nicer downtown area with tons of parks around. You still get a rural feel with lots of house for the money, too, especially in St. Charles.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
My in-laws have a house there and so my husband grew up in Crystal Lake. If way out far away from everything is what you want, it certainly is that. I wouldn't choose the area simply because there is nothing to do there. It is not walkable at all, and you need a car to get everywhere. Plus, the commute to Arlington Heights would be an hour in rush hour. The schools are decent, but not excellent. However, it sounds like you want a very rural feel. I would check out Geneva or St. Charles. Prettier area imho with better schools and a nicer downtown area with tons of parks around. You still get a rural feel with lots of house for the money, too, especially in St. Charles.
Many neighborhoods in Crystal Lake are walkable and have sidewalks. If you mean walking to stores and doing groceries, well most suburbs fit into the category of not being convenient for that.
And you comment on Crystal Lake to Arlington Heights being an hour commute and recommend Geneva or St. Charles?! Yes pretty areas, but an equally long, if not longer, commute to Arlington Heights

Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove007 View Post
Thanks
Why not stay where you're at longer? Build more of a down payment for a house and then renting your current townhouse to cover the mortgage on it until the market recovers and allows selling without a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs