Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:00 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

Meh. Other than expansive it is one of a dozen shopping centers in Peoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They're not "outdoor malls" any more, they're "lifestyle centers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I like it. I have no idea where you like to hang out. But the crowd looks similar to what I see when going to trendy places that I like to hang out at in the city. It's a classy looking place. One of the few spots in the southern suburbs where black women actually hang out in large numbers. Great place to take your date or meet someone if you are single. And I think it's great to finally have at least one decent establishment like that out here that caters to that particular crowd. Other than having to drive to the city all of the time for that. Although as I said the far southern suburbs has very little in the line of quality entertainment establishments. So that is much welcomed in my opinion.
Bar Louie is great. If you live in the area and haven't checked it out yet, what are you waiting for? And if you are ever in the area, you should check out the Bar Louie. And yeah, I can tell the owner spent a lot of money on setting up everything. Especially those 9 TV's that all come together and make one screen.. That was pretty cool. I knew it could be done but I had never seen it done before. Maybe they even had the Geek Squad in Matteson help them out with that. It's too bad the local Best Buy closed down.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 AM

829 posts, read 2,087,102 times
For one, it's really a bar louie only in name. The concept of the bar louie in matteson is way more classy and encompasses more than any other bar louie I have ever been to in the chicagoland area. The upstairs level which will be housing an upscale club is huge but still under construction. Once the upstairs is finished and opens I am sure this will be without question a concept that has not been done yet south of chicago. Actually, has not been done yet at all outside of the city catering to this particular demographic. And is sure to be much more of an attraction than it already is. The location in the lobby of what is soon to be a newly refinished Holiday Inn hotel right off of I-57 adds to it also.

Last edited by allen2323; 05-16-2012 at 04:51 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 AM

Yeah, it's ballin'.

Although there's nothing on the menu or in the setup at this sports bar and grill that is really catering to any particular demographic. It's just located in Matteson. The bartenders and waitresses will be happy to serve you. I've seen check in's on Facebook from different people. And the security guards will let you in if you are dressed nicely (no hoodies, no t-shirts and no gym shoes). They're just wannabe tough guys who are compensating for something.

I've never heard of Bar Louie before. However, the Bar Louie that opened up in Matteson serves a similar purpose as the Tender Trap in Chicago Heights. It's a place you can get lunch too. Although Bar Louie is obviously nicer than the Tender Trap.. It is in Mattteson, after all.

BTW: It's not called Holiday Inn anymore. I'm not sure why but it's Matteson Hotel now.

Last edited by urza216; 05-16-2012 at 05:03 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 05:03 AM

The entire hotel is also currently being refinished and will be re-opening as the holiday inn within the next month or two.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 AM

How about all those illegals Holiday Inn in Matteson fired about a year and half ago??

Old 05-16-2012, 05:21 AM

Allen, there are people who give a flip and there are people who don't give a flip. I don't give a flip and have no problem walking into the Bar Louie and flirting with the cute light skinned waitress. You just give way too many flips about crap that doesn't flippin' matter. And you would never be caught dead in Tinley Park for any reason.

Even censorship can be fun.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Allen, there are people who give a flip and there are people who don't give a flip. I don't give a flip and have no problem walking into the Bar Louie and flirting with the cute light skinned waitress. You just give way too many flips about crap that doesn't flippin' matter. And you would never be caught dead in Tinley Park for any reason.

Even censorship can be fun.
For one, I hang out just about anywhere that I find to be cool. Including lincoln park, wicker park, gold coast, etc. I have hung out in most of the bars in tinley park at different times. And I frequently travel internationally to countries that have almost no black people. Why is it that so many people see something nice that happens to cater to a mostly black demographic, they immediately get all defensive about it and attempt to belittle whatever it is? Whether it be nice new establishment in an area that caters to mostly black patrons. Or a nice neighborhood that attracts a mostly black demographic. As if that is somehow excluding or depriving whites from enjoying something. And of course everything nice must cater specifically to white people. Particularly in the suburbs according to some views. If you are not white, you must enjoy being in the company and living in a neighborhood with 99 percent whites at all times for some reason if you want to enjoy a nice suburban experience.

Last edited by allen2323; 05-16-2012 at 05:48 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
For one, I hang out just about anywhere that I find to be cool. Including lincoln park, wicker park, etc. I have hung out in most of the bars in tinley park before. And I frequently travel internationally to countries that have almost no black people. Why is it that so many people see something nice that happens to cater to a mostly black demographic, they get all defensive about it and attempt to belittle whatever it is? Whether it be nice new establishment in an area that caters to mostly black patrons. Or a nice neighborhood that attracts a mostly black demographic.
I agree with you. I think my posting history on this forum speaks for itself.

The only thing I have belittled about the Bar Louie is the security guards. Man, are they compensating for something. I don't like the management at the hotel either. But I have no problem with illegal immigrants, pot smokers, guys with custom rims on their car or waitresses with their boobs hanging out. All of those people are a-okay in my book! What do you think I am, innocent?

The Bottom line: Bar Louie in Matteson is a nice place with good drinks, good food in a well made setting. People should check it out - and not be afraid to check it out. Don't let Allen's talk of "catering to a particular demographic" think you won't be welcomed or something. Hope you don't mind R&B though!

Last edited by urza216; 05-16-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Default Interesting...

Quote:
I can tell you there has been a huge shift in the far southern suburbs toward the sentiment of shopping in orland park, tinley park, and frankfort. I know very few people who live in Flossmoor, Matteson, Olympia Fields, Homewood, etc. these days. Who prefer to shop in orland park, tinley park, and frankfort. There might be a handful of people that still do that. Some of the old timer residents maybe. But, as the demographics have changed, the quality of retail and restaurants has slowly began to improve in the far southern suburbs. And will most likely continue to do so. Mainly because more and more of the current residents do not like shopping in orland park, tinley park, and frankfort. I happen to be one of those residents. Aside from quite frankly not feeling as welcomed, comfortable, and able to enjoy shopping or eating out in tinley park, frankfort, and orland park. Location wise it doesn't make much sense to drive all the way out there just to shop, or go to a nice restaurant. What retailers and restaurants are starting to find out is as the demographics have changed in the far southern suburbs. If a retailer or restaurant doesn't have a physical presences in the far southern suburbs than more than likely those residents won't be as open as the previous demographic of far south suburban residents to drive to orland park, tinley park, and frankfort.
Your post reworded from the perspective of someone who is from the southwest suburbs (which is not me obviously):

I can tell you there has been a huge shift in the southwest suburbs toward the sentiment of shopping in Matteson, Homewood, and Calumet City. I know very few people who live in Orland Park, Tinley Park, Frankfort, Mokena, etc. these days who prefer to shop in Matteson, Homewood, and Calumet City. There might be a handful of people that still do that. Some of the old timer residents maybe. But, as the demographics have changed, the quality of retail and restaurants has continued to improve in the southwest suburbs. And will most likely continue to do so. Mainly because more and more of the current residents do not like shopping in Matteson, Homewood, and Calumet City. I happen to be one of those residents. Aside from quite frankly not feeling as welcomed, comfortable, and able to enjoy shopping or eating out in Matteson, Homewood, and Calumet City. Location wise it doesn't make much sense to drive all the way out there just to shop, or go to a nice restaurant. What retailers and restaurants are starting to find out is as the demographics haven't changed in the southwest suburbs. If a retailer or restaurant doesn't have physical presences in the southwest suburbs than more than likely those residents won't be as open as the previous demographic of the southwest suburbs residents to drive to Matteson, Homewood, and Calumet City

Now answer this honestly: How would you respond if someone told you this? And based on your experiences, would you say the rewording is accurate? Because personally, I think the rewording is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs