Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:18 PM

108 posts, read 399,560 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We live in California. And by next year we are looking to move to a different state. We are doing our search and we found out that Naperville is the number 1 kid friendly in America. We have two kids, ages 5 and 3, and we are looking for a nice place with big houses/lots, in a nice (not too old) neighborhood with friendly people. Where we do not need to drive too far for our everyday errands such as groceries, shops, etc. Also, very very important is to have a very good school system.
Do you think that Naperville has all those?
We really do appreciate your help....THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Yes! It seems to meet all your criteria!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:04 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Please do a "search" on this forum for Naperville.You will find a wealth of info from the locals as well as new transplants that will answer every question I am sure.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 AM

198 posts, read 822,242 times
My husband and I were looking in Naperville for houses this weekend for both ourselves and one of my clients. There are homes in many price ranges. All the homes we looked at were within 2 miles from everything we would need on a daily basis. My kids who hate to look at houses because they have seen way too many due to my job never really complain about going to Naperville because they know they will get to do something fun when we are finished like go to the Riverwalk, eat downtown, visit friends, have a picnic in a park, or go to the Children's Museum which I highly recommend for young kids. Many of the subdivisions have elementary schools right on sight. Check out the test scores posted on the district websites or in Chicago papers and websites like GreatSchools. They have 2 districts - 203 & 204. The 3 high schools in Naperville proper all have ACT scores that rank them in the top 25 in the state. When Money magazine ranks areas they do extensive research. It is not a fluke that you find Naperville in the top of that list or that it has been in the top for many years.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,802 times
Ya, Naperville is very elegant, but don't just limit yourself to Naperville.
Here is what da hood looks like
YouTube - Tear Down McMansions in Naperville, Illinois

You may want to also consider Orland Park which was rated as number 2 best place to live in IL. Village of Orland Park

Old 09-17-2007, 11:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momandwifefromcali View Post
Hello all,

We live in California. And by next year we are looking to move to a different state. We are doing our search and we found out that Naperville is the number 1 kid friendly in America. We have two kids, ages 5 and 3, and we are looking for a nice place with big houses/lots, in a nice (not too old) neighborhood with friendly people. Where we do not need to drive too far for our everyday errands such as groceries, shops, etc. Also, very very important is to have a very good school system.
Do you think that Naperville has all those?
We really do appreciate your help....THANKS!

Sounds exactly what youre looking for.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 PM

22 posts, read 131,322 times
I grew up in Naperville and my whole family still lives there so I"m speaking first hand. Naperville is not a bad place and it does have a lot to offer, however I don't feel its all its cracked up to be. School...yes they are good and they are even better if your kids excell in sports or are gifted or even if they have learning issues. Anything and everything you want is there for you. But if you have a normal child then they may get lost in the masses. The homes are beautiful and you can't deny that fact but I do believe them to way over priced just because of the Naperville addy. The downtown area is nice with lots to do for both singles and families but it can be pricey and overcrowed. The taxes are also quite high. I personally perfer to be close to Naperville and all it has to offer but far enough to get a better deal on a home with less taxes. Again for a lot of people Naperville is the end all and be all of Chicago suburbs. Just don't limit yourself and check out other areas. Good luck on your search and wish you the best.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,424 times
I agree, I would not limit yourself to just Naperville. I lived there for a bit and you can find everything Naperville has to offer without the high prices, huge taxes and the over crowding! It is sooooo congested! Wheaton, Lombard, Glen Ellyn all great areas!! I personally live in Lombard and love it!!!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 06:30 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,867 times
Naperville is very nice, but definately look in the surrounding area. There are great schools in Wheaton where I grew up. I now live in Geneva and love it here (I have elementary kids). I personally don't like the traffic situation in Naperville. Everything is close but the traffic is awful!! It is a crowded area! Wheaton has gotten busy, too, but not as bad as Naperville. As I said before, I love Geneva which is in Kane County, next door.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:02 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Naperville is nice but can be very congested. The town is very nice but kind of a madhouse now. Naperville is so big it has its own suburbs so to speak.
And some of the subdivisions have a "just plowed a cornfield look". I prefer south wheaton. Very pretty and only a ten minute drive to downtown Naperville if you want to go there. No real need to as it has lots of shops and restaurants itself.

Beware of the long drives and waiting list for parking spots at the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs