Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,001 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just confirmed a relo to Chicago and really excited. My kids are currently in a small Catholic school and I would like to keep them in small classrooms. In my past experience, this is usually a private or parochial school.

Because my job will be in the Loop, I wound like to keep the commute to a minimum (20 minutes) but still be in the burbs. I have heard good things about Oak Park, Hinsdale, and Evanston among others.

When I try to figure out the schools from internet searches, I feel incredibly overwhelmed. Any advice? If possible, please provide the name of the elementary school and the suburb.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by lostinm1; 04-29-2012 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Evanston does have St. Athanasius which is a small private catholic k-8 school.

Home

If you can afford it and want a secular school, there is also Roycemore School
Roycemore Private School in Evanston Illinois Serving the North Shore |

and Baker Demonstration School is not far - it's technically in Wilmette, but it is on the Evanston border. My dd went there for K, but it is quite expensive.
Baker Demonstration School

Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I found four catholic churches and two catholic schools in Oak Park. The Bishop and Diaconate have offices next door in River Forest. The Village of Oak Park is near 60,000 +/- population. It has a excellent library program as your child grows, parks, shops, restaurants, etc.. You will also find a hospital and full range of medical services, as well as fire and police .

OP is 8-9 miles from the Loop. At a minimum it is probably a bit longer than 20 minutes due to the number of stops for riders. Parking is not easy in OP unless you have secure parking in advance of your move. .OP shares a border with Chicago so it as close as any suburb. It is very diverse, upscale, young professional, and family friendly community . Several of our members live in OP. The village has a wide range of transportation including train, bus, taxi, limo and zip car.

Oak Park Place is a new green complex, with amenities such as covered Parking and train stop nearby. It is anchored by Trader Joe's, therefore you need not go out in inclement weather for groceries. I've never seen paper products or pharmacy type products in any Trader Joe's stores. .This complex offers units from studio + bath to 2 bedroom + 2 bath. It is very convent for your needs today. Short lease of 3 -10 months also available.

Oak Park Regional Housing Center
Oak Park Place Apartments in Oak Park, IL | Apartments.com

Welcome to Chicago!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Hinsdale has a well regarded Catholic parish with an elementary school: ACADEMICS - ACADEMICS

Neighboring Clarendon Hills also has a parish with a similar school, its enrollment is lower:
Welcome to Notre Dame Parish

Frankly, from an academic standpoint, the public schools that serve Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills are among the most well regarded in any town, with all having been recognized by for Academic Excellence -- Illinois Honor Roll - Academic Excellence Awards 2011 List so the choice is really one of social desires / tradition.

Metra service is outstanding, with the quickest trains taking just 22 minutes from Hinsdale to Union Station: Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Schedule The layout of the village is such that many homes are within walking distance of the commuter stations.

There is extreme variability among the public schools in some towns, and it makes sense to decide what is most important to your personal situation. Many of the most desirable towns along the BNSF and in DuPage Co are well liked precisely because they offer small classrooms, extremely committed teachers, and superior academic acheivement.

If you desire to be engaged in political thinking of past decades there are towns that place those ideals higher...

Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 AM

214 posts, read 546,124 times
Before you get all excited about a specific parish, call and make sure that they would have availability for your kids. I know that at our's, some grades have room and others do not.

Another thing, the number one reason people don't live in the city is due to the public schools. If you are sending your kids to a Catholic school, the city might be a good option. There are lots of nice quiet areas.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Arlington Heights has St. James and Our Lady of the Wayside Catholic Elementary schools. St. Peter Lutheran elementary school and St. Viator Catholic high school. Many of the public schools also have classrooms below 25 kids per class.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,556 times
Catholic schools in Oak Park and River Forest have bigger classes than the public schools in Oak Park. If you want really small classes and Oak Park, take a look at Alcuin, a Montessori school in Oak Park.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
BTW, a 20 minute commute is almost impossible unless you live next door to work. Even with the fastest express trains you'll have to drive or walk to the train station, wait for the train, travel on the train, exit the train station in Chicago, and walk to your office. Simply exiting the train station in downtown Chicago and walking to your office two blocks away will take 5-10 minutes.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 PM

21 posts, read 44,156 times
Mount Prospect/Arlington Heights. St Viator Cath school. 20minute commute to downtown

Old 05-18-2012, 02:14 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop77 View Post
Mount Prospect/Arlington Heights. St Viator Cath school. 20minute commute to downtown
Maybe once you're ON the train. As stated above you have to include driving to the station, parking, waiting for the train, walking to your office. No WAY will that be 20 minutes anywhere in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs