Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 12,072 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am moving to Chicago and I am looking for the following in terms of "features" in a neighborhood and in an apartment complex. I require access to highways if possible as I will be traveling quite often. I have been perusing the forum seeking out advice but cities randomly choosing cities can be arduous to say the least. I would like to be NEAR Joliet although I have seen on this forum the city doesn't seem to be thriving. I am seeking the following in terms of a community:

- SAFETY
- Modern/suburban
- Close to recreational locations/ gyms/ parks etc
- Young professional type atmosphere
- Quite free from crime, college students and other unwanted things of that nature

I appreciate all responses and thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
This is my opinion.

First, there no such thing as "quite crime free" in a city with an aggregate population of 10M.
Secondly, where you live depends upon your income and where your customers are located.
Third, traffic is an issue except about 5am and early Sunday morning when you can zip through the city to hop on I-55 or ? with no traffic. By 6 the city is more than awake with traffic.

You will find young, monied, professionals in Oak Park. Oak Park Place is new, green, it is furnished with appliances including washer and dryer and it is anchored by Trader Joe's. You don't even have to leave the building to buy groceries. Covered parking is available.

All the amenities like gym and near public transit is provided. You will pay between $1400 for a studio $2000+. You will find everything you want at your fingertips. It is a lot for the money, but you get what you pay for - and a lot of it.

You other option is to be far from the city. You will find there is very little happy medium for what you want in between.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
OP is looking for something near JOLIET! Oak Park doesn't exactly qualify.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM

I saw that. Did you see his requirements?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Orland Park or Tinley Park will meet your requirements.

You don't have to live all the way in Oak Park for all that. If you asked about museums, that would be another story.

Many local parks, restaurants, gyms and a Trader Joes by Orland Square Mall.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 AM

2 posts, read 12,072 times
I greatly appreciate all the responses, I have included a bit of information here so this may make the picture clearer:

- I have no area preference necessarily, within 45-60 minutes of Joliet would be ideal but not absolute
- I am looking to spend $1000.00 on rent or under
- I mention safety for many reasons, mostly because I am away from home quite a bit and receive large shipments on a regular basis and do not want to be worried about missing packages and such.
- I have looked into places in many suburbs however the reviews for certain places and the communities are harsh to say the least...of course with the understanding that reviews can and should be taken with a grain of salt
- I am choosing a location based on the ease of travel towards the city as most of my business will be traveling in and out Chicago, however I would like to live out of the city and city life if possible
- Naperville has been highly recommended/ Edgewater has many rentals however I have no idea how this area is/ Ravenswood seems solid as well
-

Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-2-Chi View Post
I greatly appreciate all the responses, I have included a bit of information here so this may make the picture clearer:

- I have no area preference necessarily, within 45-60 minutes of Joliet would be ideal but not absolute
- I am looking to spend $1000.00 on rent or under
- I mention safety for many reasons, mostly because I am away from home quite a bit and receive large shipments on a regular basis and do not want to be worried about missing packages and such.
- I have looked into places in many suburbs however the reviews for certain places and the communities are harsh to say the least...of course with the understanding that reviews can and should be taken with a grain of salt
- I am choosing a location based on the ease of travel towards the city as most of my business will be traveling in and out Chicago, however I would like to live out of the city and city life if possible
- Naperville has been highly recommended/ Edgewater has many rentals however I have no idea how this area is/ Ravenswood seems solid as well
-
You are at 2 disparate ends. You want to be close to Joliet AND want to be close to the city. Why the need to be close to Joliet? Where in the city will you be traveling and what time of day. Are you in sales or service and have an assigned territory?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM

You might look in Will County which is little bit farther south and a little more rural. It is an affluent County so I don't know about rentals. Here is a list of every community. You will note that some towns such as Naperville are situated in more than one county. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_C...Municipalities

Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Wheaton is about as safe as you can get. Of course there is not zero crime anywhere. There are not a whole lot of apartment here but some people are renting out condos. Naperville is safe too. Both have pretty easy access to Joliet and if you live in south wheaton or North naperville you will be near I 88 and can get into the city really easy.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 PM

41 posts, read 87,427 times
If you want to stay near Joliet, New Lenox is a great option only about 20 minutes away, but can be pricey. If your looking to stay in the city I would recommend areas on the southwest side like Garfield ridge or clearing. Both cheap and safe neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs