Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 98,477 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are attracted to everything about Plainfield. The newer homes, the schools, etc. but we both work in the city. It seems like we're looking at an hour long drive or a 30+ minute drive to the nearest train station along with another 20 minute train ride. Right now we're in Downers Grove and the commute to the city really isn't bad at all. But tacking another 20+ minutes onto our route just to live in a house/neighborhood we really like is making me wonder if it's worth it.

Does anybody do this commute? How crazy are we for considering this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM

35 posts, read 109,380 times
You're not crazy because I can understand the allure of a nice, big, newer home. It can make you forget about the practicality of location.

Been there, done that. Don't do it.

We bought a large, newer home pretty far west at the height of the bubble, then sold it last year at a very substantial lost because we were so unsatisfied with the location. For us it was both the commute (to downtown) and also proximity to just about anything. Maybe if you like that more rural atmosphere you could put up with that commute, but I couldn't do it. You may love your new house, but you'll be spending less time at home than you do now. You better like your car and the inside of a Metra train a whole lot too.

We were doing alright living out of the way until we had kids. I started to really hate my commute once it started eating away at family time. Just something to think about as you look towards the future.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 AM

That makes complete sense. But I guess I just figured that it's a lot more likely I could find a job closer to home than it is for me to pass up an area that seems to be a great place to raise kids, affordable living with a newer house, etc.

We were also looking in the nicer areas of Bolingbrook which actually cuts a decent chunk out of the commute and isn't all that different from what it is now. We liked the area but my concern is the schools, primarily the high school. Seeing as how we wouldn't need to worry about that for at least 14 years it seems like that might be another decent option although the selection of homes isn't as plentiful as Plainfield.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
If you like that area the best, then I would find the job first. As to high schools, 99% of the public high schools In Illinois are the state Watch List - due in part to the "No Child Left Behind Law." They only way to judge a schools is with boots on the ground.

Last edited by linicx; 05-19-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
Yes you are crazy (perhaps shortsighted is a kinder term) for considering this. Move closer and use your time for something more enjoyable than slogging through rush hour traffic. If you have kids the long commute will be even more aggravating as after school activities become limited or impossible because Mom & Dad wanted the BIG house instead of wanting to be there for the kids.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkandBeans View Post
Does anybody do this commute? How crazy are we for considering this?
The commute is bad.

And yes, you are crazy.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:51 PM

70 posts, read 210,082 times
My husband and I just purchased a home in N. Plainfield and he works downtown. He will continue to take the metra downtown everyday. We narrowed our search down to a home in south Naperville that was is terrible shape and on well water (like so many we toured there) and the home we purchased in N. Plainfield that was built in the 90's and recently remodeled. For us, the commute difference of two minutes was nothing to not have to fully remodeled home.

It's tough if you are trying to buy your first home in this general area and are trying to keep things under 300k. We had terrible luck with inspections and tours of homes in Naperville/Warrenville/Lisle. I

Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 20,883 times
I can say from personal experience... DO NOT DO THIS! Plainfield right now is very unstable, there is a humoungous amount of backlogged foreclosures. I really feel that exurbs are on shaking ground as energy costs are sure to rise. Plainfield is ok for schools but there are far better choices.

I currently live in Plainfield and work downtown right across the street from Union Station. My commute is 90 - 105 minutes each way/every day.

Back in 2005 my wife and I were lured out here by the nice new homes. We have just recently sold and have will soon be freed from this commuting nightmare as we are moving to the inner burbs. We built the brand new big house and a lot of hidden costs come with that type of purchase so be prepared, do your research, you probably don't need near the amount of space you think you do.

Which train do you plan on taking? Route 59 is a traffic nightbare, the drive there in the morning for me is 30 minutes but can range from 50-60 on the way home and is only getting worse as more people are taking the train. The Rock Island out of Joliet is a 1:10 minute train ride.

I even drive to Downers Grove sometimes but that really adds up as you are paying gas, 355 tolls each way, and $3 to park there. Plus the drive can range anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on traffic in the morning as both 55 and 355 can be backed up.

Watch what house infatuation will do to how you are rationalizing the commute and other red flags, it happens to all of us. I can guarantee you already it it not going to be 20+ minutes, it's going to be 40+ minutes --> plus more in Gas and Metra Fare.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChacoGirl View Post
My husband and I just purchased a home in N. Plainfield and he works downtown. He will continue to take the metra downtown everyday. We narrowed our search down to a home in south Naperville that was is terrible shape and on well water (like so many we toured there) and the home we purchased in N. Plainfield that was built in the 90's and recently remodeled. For us, the commute difference of two minutes was nothing to not have to fully remodeled home.

It's tough if you are trying to buy your first home in this general area and are trying to keep things under 300k. We had terrible luck with inspections and tours of homes in Naperville/Warrenville/Lisle. I
What metra train does he plan to take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macteago View Post
I can say from personal experience... DO NOT DO THIS! Plainfield right now is very unstable, there is a humoungous amount of backlogged foreclosures. I really feel that exurbs are on shaking ground as energy costs are sure to rise. Plainfield is ok for schools but there are far better choices.

I currently live in Plainfield and work downtown right across the street from Union Station. My commute is 90 - 105 minutes each way/every day.

Back in 2005 my wife and I were lured out here by the nice new homes. We have just recently sold and have will soon be freed from this commuting nightmare as we are moving to the inner burbs. We built the brand new big house and a lot of hidden costs come with that type of purchase so be prepared, do your research, you probably don't need near the amount of space you think you do.

Which train do you plan on taking? Route 59 is a traffic nightbare, the drive there in the morning for me is 30 minutes but can range from 50-60 on the way home and is only getting worse as more people are taking the train. The Rock Island out of Joliet is a 1:10 minute train ride.

I even drive to Downers Grove sometimes but that really adds up as you are paying gas, 355 tolls each way, and $3 to park there. Plus the drive can range anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on traffic in the morning as both 55 and 355 can be backed up.

Watch what house infatuation will do to how you are rationalizing the commute and other red flags, it happens to all of us. I can guarantee you already it it not going to be 20+ minutes, it's going to be 40+ minutes --> plus more in Gas and Metra Fare.
Honestly I'm not sure where else to look. We're buying our first house and don't want to go over $200k and with that price range you're basically looking at a home that is ancient and needs a lot of work if you want to live closer to the city.

Bolingbrook seems like the better option right now since we won't have to worry about kids or sending them to school for a while and who knows where we'll work or be living by then. But we liked the Bolingbrook area and the housing was affordable with great homes available. Right now the commute from Downers is nothing and I've made the commute from Bolingbrook before and it's not bad at all.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:13 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macteago View Post

Very good advice. OP may want to rent for a while if price is forcing Plainfield on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs