Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM

24 posts, read 42,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I think the reason Highwood became a restaurant center was the surrounding towns were dry. Most diners want a drink with their meal. I think Chicago Executive airport (formerly Palwaukee) had something to do with Wheeling's Restaurant Row. I have heard Bob Chinn gets fish flown in that way, and no doubt pilots from around the midwest fly in for lunch.
The real estate taxes are lower in Highwood compared to Highland Park. There are some real gems in the area but the prices are akin to what you would expect to find in HP, Lake Forest or Glencoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
OK we all agree that the North Shore is not conducive for restaurants for a number of reasons: No through East-West traffic (except for amphibious vehicles, LOL), Few major North-South routes, Exclusively residential, Dry or formerly so. Yet plenty of customers. But that still doesn't explain why Wheeling and Highwood became restaurant suburbs.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 33,776 times
I am surprised that La Grange has not been mentioned. There is certainly a wide variety of establishments to choose from in their downtown. Back in late April, their downtown hosted a restaurant week.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Golf Road

Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Agreed, and I will put in plug for the general BNSF corridor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
LaGrange, IL?

La Grange does have a nice mix of "white table cloth" as well as casual dining options near its core, and has for any years.

Neighboring Western Springs has few options, but the success of Vie seems to continue to draw folks from a wide area. Brookfield has few interesting spots too.

Hinsdale is home to a little "empire" of nicer spots that sharre a common investor pool (ilPoglio , Nabuki and the up comng "small plates"spot in the former theatre space).

Tiny Clarendon Hills has a surprising range of dining spots, including Scapa, the upcoming Aquamiel with a more authentic sophisticated Mexican, Lindy's , Nami and Zazas.

Westmont has long had a big variety of well run ethnic spots, with 20+ years of sushi just steps from the train, Korean just a little farther, Italian in between and Indian a little farther north & south, along with an incredible number of pizza and similar offerings like bbq.

Downers has a nice mix spots too, but given its larger population base you'd think there would be more. Years ago there were, but maybe the pull of placces around Yorktown Mall and the FInely corridor makes stuff tougher to run in the core.

Naperville has already been mentioned, and with light traffic (which does happen...) one can make pretty good time getting from one end the BNSF corridor to the other so there is a fair bit of mixing.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,557 times
Batavia has a surprising number of Thai restaurants, and I think the Tri-Cities in general have a lot of great options for dining.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:50 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
OK we all agree that the North Shore is not conducive for restaurants for a number of reasons: No through East-West traffic (except for amphibious vehicles, LOL), Few major North-South routes, Exclusively residential, Dry or formerly so. Yet plenty of customers. But that still doesn't explain why Wheeling and Highwood became restaurant suburbs.
Highwood is easy; it can be answered in one word: Italians. Once mostly Italian (today mostly Mexican), Highwood became a mecca for Italian food. Add to that the fact that the North Shore was dry for, well, an eternity, the taverns definitely served a need.

Wheeling? I suspect it was the Milwaukee Avenue location, the long time link between Chicago and Milwaukee in the era before cars.

Half Day (basically Lincolnshire's core today) was named for being a half day out of Chicago, located on Milw Ave, too. Wheeling, a bit south, always had those road houses on Milw, places were travelers stopped by for meals.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:37 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
I always considered Hinsdale as a sPecial place, separated from all the others. There was a time when just the "name" ment for a lot, and for good reason, if for nothing else it's age and stature.Looking further into this , I always found it interesting that Hinsdale could stand alone , being so close to Oakbrook I remember with fond memories it's quaint little downtown area at winter holiday times.Hinsdale was my stomping grounds for many years. Strange that in all those years, I don't remember eating there,except for breakfast at the " Clock" on my way to work with my now ex wife.She was always a Hinsdale kinda person. I often wondered if she remained there over the years, as i moved on to the far western burbs. Hinsdale was a name drop, that brought comfort ,considering all that grew up around it's borders

Last edited by darstar; 06-10-2012 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: Wrong word, I some how left out Oakbrook, when dundant with Hinsdale. to say Oakbrook

Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
May not be the level people are thinking of, but I think this is pretty good news for a near South Suburb:

Panera Bread breaks ground in South Holland

Old 06-30-2012, 09:59 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I'm curious Edge. How are Oak Park restaurants cross-wise to any other suburb with restaurants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

Oak Park is transversed;

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs