Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,266 times

Advertisements

Kinda wierd I'm asking bc I've lived in CHicagolaand area my whole life oak forest, oak lawn, naperville and most recently aurora. I'm mid/late twenties bought my first place in Aurora a couple years back.

Not really happy with my purchase at the time wanted to be on Aurora/Naper border bc I couldn't afford Naperville but all my family and friends were in that area.

Since most buddies have moved to the city or other burbs and my parents still live in the area but not realy tied down to this area as much as before though I do still work in the area but not really planning on staying at this job that much longer either.

A small aprt of me is considering moving to the city south or west loop but probably more leaning towards a burb but one closer to the city than Naperville maybe anywhere from Downers Grove, Oak Brook, Lagrange, etc.

Id like to be very close to expressways Naperville/Aurora really isn't that far oput but sucks when it takes 30 min just to get to an expressway. Close to expressways would be good, along the metra lines would be nice but not a must and would like someplace with nightlife and a bar scene more than just a chilis or tgi fridays. Naperville has a pretty decent bar scene for a burb.

I'm not really decided on whether I'd like a condo, townhouse or a sfh. Currently I'm in a duplex but no association so basically a house as far as maintenance nad things.

budget could be anything from 80k-200k current place is about 90k looking to keep my current place as a rental and buy something else. I've seen some condos in oakbrook for under 100k but at the same time wouldn't mind buying a sfh that i could see myself in for 10 years either.

Any suggestion? I know I'm kinda all over the place but really not that familiar with other burbs than naper, aurora, lise, plainfield, etc. Looking at villa park, oakbrook, downers, lagrange, or whatever else u may suggest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,933,808 times
Forget Oakbrook. Very few things in your price range mostly mega expensive homes. Downers is good. Check out Lisle, what about parts of Naperville further east. Other places to check might be south Wheaton, Westmont. I would skip Villa Park personally. All of the suburbs mentioned have easier access to I-88 and not far from 355.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,767 times
Have you looked at Willowbrook? There are several condo associations right around 63rd and Clarendon Hills Road. You are right between I-88 and I-55 (vie rt 83) so getting to the city is quick or you can take the train from CH or Westmont.

It is close to shopping and only about 20 minutes straight down 63rd or 75th to Naperville for your family.

We lived in a condo there right after getting married and it was nice. There are many in your price range...check Americana, the Knolls, and others along CH road on both sides of 63rd.

Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:01 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,869,578 times
All I can say about Villa Park is that the Poles/Italians are fleeing. My cousin's family (Polish/Italian) had lived there for almost 20 years and finally packed up and moved to Elgin, of all places (to escape the urban life, in all its forms). The "word" was that all the Italians and Poles who settled there after fleeing places like Berkely, Melrose Park, Maywood, etc. in the 70's is that they were tired of the way the city was heading and wanted to flee.

Now just because my family memebers typify Chicagoland White Flight doesn't mean you have to, but I thought it'd be worth noting that people are leaving and disinvesting.....if that means anything to you. I personally liked Villa Park and it felt like a less urban version of Chicago. If the schools were better I'd consider living there.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM

thanks for the advice so far guys. any thoughts on westchester? i notice thats right on the way to the city between naperville and chicago. seems to be located near several expressways. i dont believe ive been through the town or really know much of anything about it?

Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Forget Oakbrook. Very few things in your price range mostly mega expensive homes. Downers is good. Check out Lisle, what about parts of Naperville further east. Other places to check might be south Wheaton, Westmont. I would skip Villa Park personally. All of the suburbs mentioned have easier access to I-88 and not far from 355.
i noticed some cheap condos in oakbrook but i imagnie association fees are outrageous as thats what i often find with cheaper condos in nicer areas and in older buildings.

i have sort of thought about staying in naperville area but getting closer to an expressway. i do like naperville, cant really beat the downtown naperville are for nightlife and bar scene outside of the city. its something im considering if i can find any deals either right near downtown naperville or near i88. i also however wouldn't mnd getting a little closer into the city and maybe being halfway between naperville and chciago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs