Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 02:59 PM

10 posts, read 13,117 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are looking to move to Chicago in the next 6 months. I am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas for Chicago suburbs where we can get a condo with a lake view, somewhere close to shopping a restaurants and pet friendly parks. We are early 30's and would like to be in a community with people our age. I have done some research but wondering what everyone else thought. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 PM

133 posts, read 289,152 times
I would vote for Evanston, as it has all of the amenities that you requested.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 AM

2,755 posts, read 4,386,959 times
Any particular reason why you want a suburb, rather then to be in a neighborhood in the city? Are you planning to have kids soon, so schools are an issues?

It is also really important to know where you are working, as Chicago is a huge city, and commutes are usually one of the most important variables when choosing where to lives.

As well as your budget.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM

A neighborhood is fine too. I guess a lakeview would be one of the most important as far as choosing a condo. Budget is under 300k. Kids in the future yes but not soon. I hopefully will be working downtown. Thanks for your response and your help!

Old 06-10-2012, 02:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,005,564 times
If you don't currently have school age kids I would recommend Chicago, though with a budget of only $300k I would probably also recommend renting if you want to be anywhere near Lake Michicagn and not have major concerns about safety...

Old 06-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you don't currently have school age kids I would recommend Chicago, though with a budget of only $300k I would probably also recommend renting if you want to be anywhere near Lake Michicagn and not have major concerns about safety...
I have seen some properties online on N. Lake Shore Drive that are in my budget. Is this a nice area?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:14 PM

Lake Shore Dr. Ranges from REALLY nice in 2000 blocks of the Gold Coast to not so great in the areas closer to Uptown to pretty awful south of Hyde Park where it pretty much ends....

You need to specific addresses so that we can help with the neighborhood.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Lake Shore Dr. Ranges from REALLY nice in 2000 blocks of the Gold Coast to not so great in the areas closer to Uptown to pretty awful south of Hyde Park where it pretty much ends....

You need to specific addresses so that we can help with the neighborhood.
So for example, here are some Lake Shore Drive address I found:
3660 LAKE SHORE DR 4413, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60613
1000 Lake Shore DR 405, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60611
860 LAKE SHORE DR 8L

And here are some other address of properties I found with a lakeview.
655 IRVING PARK RD 3502, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60613
5701 Sheridan RD 21T, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60660
400 Randolph ST 2611

I want to be in a nice area as well. I am not familiar with Chicago other than the Mag Mile area. Thanks again everyone for your help!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:08 PM

I would rent! Seriously. That 400 Randolph building is sadly lacking in updates. I thinks there are Motel 6 bathrooms that look more modern! And they want $300k?!?

I actualy knew someone that lived in the 860 N LSD building,and it does have great view with a location that is hard to beat -- views are never to be obstructed. Price seems fair for a 3 bd/ 2 ba though tas I recall the assessments are quite high and ceiling heights are pretty cramped. Window technolgy frommthat era is not as good at filtering sounds or weather, you'll be in fish box and awfully closer to tradfic and "summer sounds" like firework, yet not high enough to fell like you are innthe clouds... As the photo shows,updates from the 90s hardly look stylish. You are going to be hard pressed to renovate in a building like that in a cost effective way too -- contractors charge extra becuase the older buildings don't make things easy on them. If you have your heart set on views and nice area the low price is hard to just dismiss.

Personally I would not be eager to like Uptown / Edgewater area, but assessments are probably less.

There is a glut of rentals and I suspect you could rent for a fraction of what buying would cost...

Last edited by chet everett; 06-10-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I would rent! Seriously. That 400 Randolph building is sadly lacking in updates. I thinks there are Motel 6 bathrooms that look more modern! And they want $300k?!?

I actualy knew someone that lived in the 860 N LSD building,and it does have great view with a location that is hard to beat -- views are never to be obstructed. Price seems fair for a 3 bd/ 2 ba though tas I recall the assessments are quite high and ceiling heights are pretty cramped. Window technolgy frommthat era is not as good at filtering sounds or weather, you'll be in fish box and awfully closer to tradfic and "summer sounds" like firework, yet not high enough to fell like you are innthe clouds... As the photo shows,updates from the 90s hardly look stylish. You are going to be hard pressed to renovate in a building like that in a cost effective way too -- contractors charge extra becuase the older buildings don't make things easy on them. If you have your heart set on views and nice area the low price is hard to just dismiss.

Personally I would not be eager to like Uptown / Edgewater area, but assessments are probably less.

There is a glut of rentals and I suspect you could rent for a fraction of what buying would cost...
Thanks for all the great info! Looks like I might look into renting instead. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs