Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:23 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Well in a lot of ways, it's like the Jewish version of Lake Forest if you will. Deerfield, on the other hand, has more of a mainstream feel that one gets once you get more inland. There seems to be more options for "relatively" affordable homes in Deerfield (vs. HP) as well.
Deerfield is, as you note, way more "mainstream" than Highland Park. Certainly that is true when comparing both high schools in the district. HPHS's range is exceedingly wide, far greater on both ends than is DHS's. I also think you can make an argument that Highland Park is a Jewish version of Mod Cut Lake Forest.

Last edited by linicx; 06-27-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 04:04 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Yep, and I think the New Trier area sorta combines these elements. Winnetka, Kenilworth and parts of East Wilmette certainly have the Mod Cut element well represented whereas the Jewish culture is repped hard in Glencoe, parts of Northfield, west Wilmette, and pockets of Wilmette in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Deerfield is, as you note, way more "mainstream" than Highland Park. Certainly that is true when comparing both high schools in the district. HPHS's range is exceedingly wide, far greater on both ends than is DHS's. I also think you can make an argument that Highland Park is a Jewish version of Mod Cut Lake Forest.

Last edited by linicx; 06-27-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 10:27 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Yep, and I think the New Trier area sorta combines these elements. Winnetka, Kenilworth and parts of East Wilmette certainly have the Mod Cut element well represented whereas the Jewish culture is repped hard in Glencoe, parts of Northfield, west Wilmette, and pockets of Wilmette in general.
there has always been a strong perception of difference between the traditional North Shore communities (all of which, as the name indicates, are on the lakefront) and the inland North Shore (generally includes communities like Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook, Deerfield).

but even within the North Shore towns themselves, there is a difference between the east and west portions of the communities. I would say in one degree or another that extends to each and everyone of them except for Kenilworth which literally has no "west".

Green Bay Road may be the most important dividing point and it certainly goes through the vast majority of NS downtowns, but areas to west to this road can also have a NS feel to them. I'd say, in particular the western portions of Evanston, Wilmette, Highland Park, and Lake Forest have a far less NS feel them and actually show their growth from the era of post-WWII subdivisions, something you won't see to the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs