Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times

Advertisements

I agree 100%. I agree the mandatory daily work like the pH water tests and skimming can become annoying after a while, but, it is part of the maintenance required for every pool. In the end there is nothing as inviting or quite as satisfying as the shimmering water in your own in ground pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
I have lived in two houses with in ground pools and I loved it. In fact I can't wait to buy my next house because I will get a pool again (my current house does not have one).

Having said that, there is a fair amount of work to keep a pool in good shape all season. You need to test it every day and add chemicals based on those results. While auto pool vacuums work on a lot of things they don't take care of all the floating things or even worse the creatures that get in there and need to get out. So you will have to manually vacuum about once a month and use the net daily to take care of the floaters. Lastly, when it stays hot for long periods of time you always run the risk of algae no matter how vigilant you are with the chemicals. If your pool is heated then that is an additional cost. At least you can do all the cleaning and stuff while you are outside!

I still think that it is worth all of the maintenance if you really love a pool. It gives your yard a resort feel and there are no crowds and no times that you are told you can't swim. I can't wait to have one again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Talking Nah!

... floating in some other sucker's pool is way better. Heck just 'cuase I worn folks about "freeloading neighbors" does not mean I'm not one ...

Don't worry, I always bring PLENTY of beer / wine / hors 'd ourves and I never MOD CUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I agree 100%. I agree the mandatory daily work like the pH water tests and skimming can become annoying after a while, but, it is part of the maintenance required for every pool. In the end there is nothing as inviting or quite as satisfying as the shimmering water in your own in ground pool.

Last edited by linicx; 06-21-2012 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Not an appropriate comment for thread of forum.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
The last pool I had was in NJ. All in, it ran about $1200/season. That was almost 10 years ago. We had the pool opened and closed by a professional pool maintenance company and handled the day to day on our own. It took us awhile to figure out the right chemical balance and we had the water professionally tested at a pool supply store weekly during the first year until we got the hang of it. Once we had it figured out, it took just minutes a day. (( We had an automatic pool cheaner machine whoich for unknown reasons, pool owners name like a family member. The worst part was checking the filter each morning for frogs, field mice and so on.

Electricity and gas were the greatest incremental expenses.

Homeowner insurance in NJ is off the charts expensive, with or without a pool, due to fraud.

That pool with attached hot tub, paved decking and fencing cost us about $55K in 1998. Pools are common in NJ because the season is longer and almost expected at certain price points. In Chicagoland, it's rare for anyone to recover the cost of pool installation, especially in this market. It often becomes a gift to the buyers. The trick is to find a home you want that has a pool that has been well maintained.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
I have lived in two houses with in ground pools and I loved it. In fact I can't wait to buy my next house because I will get a pool again (my current house does not have one).

Having said that, there is a fair amount of work to keep a pool in good shape all season. You need to test it every day and add chemicals based on those results. While auto pool vacuums work on a lot of things they don't take care of all the floating things or even worse the creatures that get in there and need to get out. So you will have to manually vacuum about once a month and use the net daily to take care of the floaters. Lastly, when it stays hot for long periods of time you always run the risk of algae no matter how vigilant you are with the chemicals. If your pool is heated then that is an additional cost. At least you can do all the cleaning and stuff while you are outside!

I still think that it is worth all of the maintenance if you really love a pool. It gives your yard a resort feel and there are no crowds and no times that you are told you can't swim. I can't wait to have one again!
I soooo agree. We have 6 months on/6 months off and I am married to my pool boy ,so no problemo.
I can not tell you how often I float around on a hot Sunday with a margareta and thank the heavans.
Its little time to check the chemical balance. Our neighbors with brand new pools opted for salt water.
Say its easier. We are very popular with friends/relatives around july 4th but thru the years have tapered down being "suckers" to free loaders (talking to the likes of you chet) A pool, hot sun, music, cocktails and NO free loaders is summer to me. Well worth every penny.

And YES to Middle age mom,, those frogs/salamanders in the baskets (early morn job) are the WORST.YUUUCK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: