Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 04:44 PM

10 posts, read 35,401 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We may be moving from CA to IL and we're wondering what the commute time would be from Elmhurst to Lincolnshire. Does anyone do this? Would it be miserable?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 05:38 PM

677 posts, read 4,198,141 times
Actually I do this exact commute because I work in Lincolnshire and my son's daycare is in Elmhurst. Honestly, right now it's a nightmare because there's a lot of construction on I-294. If I leave work after 4pm it takes me at least an hour and a half to get to Elmhurst. If I leave before 4 it takes around an hour. The traffic is stop-and-go most of the way, crawling along at about 15mph. The morning is not as bad but it still takes an hour. Before the construction started, my commute from Lincolnshire to Western Springs (which is farther than Elmhurst) was 45 minutes, so that should give you an idea of how bad it is. The construction is adding another lane to I-294 though, so hopefully once it's finished things will be even better.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Thank you so much. Do you know when the construction might be finished? I feel like every Chicago expressway is always under construction!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkp View Post
I feel like every Chicago expressway is always under construction!
That's pretty much true , especially in the past 2-3 years while they've been upgrading all the toll plazas, but it's been a while since there was anything of this magnitude on I-294. The entire project is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2009 but given IDOT's ineptitude I'd say spring 2010 is a better estimate.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:50 AM

5 posts, read 23,338 times
Default 2 seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
That's pretty much true , especially in the past 2-3 years while they've been upgrading all the toll plazas, but it's been a while since there was anything of this magnitude on I-294. The entire project is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2009 but given IDOT's ineptitude I'd say spring 2010 is a better estimate.
Actually, I grew up in Lincolnshire and was in Chicago until 7 years ago and am now moving back due to a promotion.

There's a common phrase among Chicagoans: There are two seasons in Chicago- Winter, and Construction.

It never stops. By the time 2012 rolls around they'll be redoing it again. . . It's been that way my whole life and it's actually getting worse. Having lived in the south since leaving chicago I can tell you definitively it's due to the freeze thaw cycle and what it does to the pavement. Can't be helped. The roads in the south are as smooth as a baby's behind. . . and are rarely unders construction relative to the frequency of the north.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xxandnoxy View Post
Actually, I grew up in Lincolnshire and was in Chicago until 7 years ago and am now moving back due to a promotion.

There's a common phrase among Chicagoans: There are two seasons in Chicago- Winter, and Construction.

It never stops. By the time 2012 rolls around they'll be redoing it again. . . It's been that way my whole life and it's actually getting worse. Having lived in the south since leaving chicago I can tell you definitively it's due to the freeze thaw cycle and what it does to the pavement. Can't be helped. The roads in the south are as smooth as a baby's behind. . . and are rarely unders construction relative to the frequency of the north.
Yes that's true but repaving the road or laying new concrete doesn't take as long as adding new lanes, which they won't be doing to that stretch of highway again anytime soon. There's no open land for more lanes beyond what they're building now.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:09 PM

So, this may be a stupid question but will the commute be as awful until 2010?!?! that seems ridiculous. Or will the bulk of it die down sooner?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:09 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,553,931 times
They will be ripping other roads by then.I mentioned on another thread,maybe you could check out Arlington Hts for your nice "downtown",great schools etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs