Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:39 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Hmm I heard the most likely cause was the extreme heat causing the rails to expand out of their proper gauge and alignment.
Extreme heat? I know it's hot, but if anyone designed rails only assuming temps in the low 90s, they should be sued out of business. 100 degrees is not unheard of in Chicagoland. Any engineer worth his salt would assume temps above any extremes seen in the past - maybe 110-120.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM

655 posts, read 1,128,822 times
I know that it sounds crazy but this is exactly why I hate being stuck in traffic under a bridge. I know this kind of thing doesn't happen every day but it still freaks me out to be stuck under there....especially when you have time to see the crumbling infrastructure on some of them. Those poor people.....I feel so bad for them and their families. Hopefully they will find the root cause (s) and put the right preventative actions in place so it never happens again.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
This had nothing to do with Madigan, or the State, or even Glenview. Its all on Union Pacific.
Yes BUT; who is responsible for over sight and inspecting? Federal Government, State, County, Local Municipality or strictly self oversight by UP?? They worked on that bridge last year......

Old 07-06-2012, 02:05 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Extreme heat? I know it's hot, but if anyone designed rails only assuming temps in the low 90s, they should be sued out of business. 100 degrees is not unheard of in Chicagoland. Any engineer worth his salt would assume temps above any extremes seen in the past - maybe 110-120.
Not an expert but yes do know that other derailings have happend due to heat. My guess is that like a road there probably is a system to deal with it(expansion joints in the case of the road)..and it may or may not have worked...i.e. pavement buckling.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Hmm I heard the most likely cause was the extreme heat causing the rails to expand out of their proper gauge and alignment.
Excellent point, never thought about the about the heat.

You would think its a combination of age and the heat.

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 07-06-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Chicago-area couple killed by train derailment - Times Union

Quote:
Burton and Zorine Lindner were driving under the railroad bridge about 1:45 p.m. Wednesday when the train derailed. Twenty-eight of the rail cars piled up on the bridge, causing it to collapse over a road between the suburbs of Glenview and Northbrook — twisted train cars and coal filling the gap where the bridge had been.
Officials initially said that no one was injured, but workers clearing debris discovered a bumper on Thursday morning. Then, as they cleared away yet more debris, they uncovered the crushed black Lexus with the Glenview couple inside.
Very sad.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:06 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
the amount of traffic going under the Shermer viaduct is minuscule compared to the tons of traffic going over the one on Willow a few blocks away. Now that really should send shivers down people's back. if you are heading west on Willow not only during rush hour, but much of the day, there is a darned good chance that you will be stuck during the light under the viaduct.....unless, of course, drivers start treating this spot as if it were a grade level rail crossing and operate on the notion you never stop on the tracks.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
UP , CSX and CN have ticking time bombs like this bridge and others all over the country and unlike the heavily regulated Passenger and Transit systems , Freight can do whatever it pleases. And gets billions in subsides each year from various states for improvements it rarely does....its time the FRA step up and enforce the rules or be disbanded....it is by far the worst agency we have in this country , utterly useless.... Alot of its rules haven't changed since the 1950s and benefit big Freight and not Passenger or small Freight. Then you have accidents and derailments like this once a month and nothing changes...if this were Passenger or transit things would changed within a month.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:16 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Yes BUT; who is responsible for over sight and inspecting? Federal Government, State, County, Local Municipality or strictly self oversight by UP?? They worked on that bridge last year......
Freight does it....actually ever RR does , but unlike Passenger Freight doesn't seem to care all that much. If a Bridge like that existed , it would be flagged and replaced , speed restrictions put into place in the meantime. Since this was expected last year , all eyes point to shortcuts at UP , not surprising given its track record...

Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:

There are rods placed every so often to prevent the rails from spreading (see picture below) and as far as the train being overweight, there was only so much weight on the bridge at any given time as the train moved over it. The weight of the whole train was not on the bridge at one time. I'm not absolving the railroad of blame, I'm sure the bridge was only repaired to the bare minimum last time.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1341253694
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs