Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 AM

7 posts, read 11,195 times

Advertisements

Got a new job in the area and would be starting in a month. The hiring process happened so fast. Got two kids in elementary that are performing above average in their current school. We'd like them to move to a school that has a good performance. Haven't found a house yet as well. Can you give me ideas as to which school to enroll them. Possibly within 50 miles from Wheeling. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 AM

Also, we'd like it to be anywhere north of Wheeling, if possible...

Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,219,425 times
OK, you DO NOT need to expand your search to 50 miles!! That is asking for a super awful commute.
You did not provide budget, size of house and other details to help us advise you. In the vicinity of Wheeling I recommend (Elementary School District/High School listed-realtor should be able to tell you which homes are within the boundaries):
1) Arlington Heights D23 or D25/Hersey or Prospect
2) Prospect heights D23/Hersey
3) Mt. Prospect D57/Prospect
4) Buffalo Grove-Lake Co. section that is in Stevenson HS District.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM

thanks for the input... well, see partner is leaning towards Fox Lake, coz it's halfway from where MIL lives, kind of closer to relatives. But I have no idea at all. I've looked at Antioch from Trulia coz there's not much 4BD that's w/in $200K in Fox Lake. What do you think?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 AM

166 posts, read 356,352 times
Sounds like a good recommendation.

Depending on budget, you can also look at Northbrook and Deerfield. Home prices and school rankings will be higher but you can still get a quality public school education with the recommendations above.

Wheeling HS, part of District 214 does not have a good reputation, mostly becuase of the large latino/hispanic population that makes up the student body. Becuase of this, home values are lower than other areas with differnt HS attendance areas.

But overall, all these options are fine. Any of the schools including Wheeling HS has the resources to support your child if he/she is an overachiever, underachiever or average.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
OK, you DO NOT need to expand your search to 50 miles!! That is asking for a super awful commute.
You did not provide budget, size of house and other details to help us advise you. In the vicinity of Wheeling I recommend (Elementary School District/High School listed-realtor should be able to tell you which homes are within the boundaries):
1) Arlington Heights D23 or D25/Hersey or Prospect
2) Prospect heights D23/Hersey
3) Mt. Prospect D57/Prospect
4) Buffalo Grove-Lake Co. section that is in Stevenson HS District.
I looked at the map, & these are all down south of Wheeling. How about school districts north of Wheeling? Any good ones?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 AM

IMO, school with good performance and many of the towns north don't fit my definition. Then add in trying to find a home for 200K and it becomes tremendous challenge. Where does MIL live? How often do you plan on visiting?
Fox Lake and Antioch are not towns that enter the discussion when top schools are desired. Neither are Round Lake or Wauconda. Is partner working? If so, where? Being close to work and having good schools is more important than being 30 minutes closer north to visit MIL on weekends. If you have 200K budget, you will be looking at smaller house in the better districts.

Buffalo Grove is north. Libertyville and Vernon Hills re too. But I question if you will find SFH close to $200K and remember that often, Lake Co. taxes are much higher than Cook Co. taxes so what appears to be a savings on a home $50-$75K less turns out to be a wash.

3 Sereies, many school districts have sacrificed gifted programs in order to balance budgets. I am not a big fan of Wheeling D21, especially Homes and London-the kids did not have the same programs in elementary school as my kids do in D23. What you say about Wheeling is true; it is a better high school than the scores indicate. It has many honors and AP classes and excellent vocational education programs as well. Buying a home in Wheeling that is in D23 and Wheeling HS may be the best compromise.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 AM

cubssoxfan, that's enlightening to know that taxes are higher in Lake than Cook County. He is about to accept a job offer in Wheeling.

Last edited by mamu0815; 07-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: wrong sp

Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,102,750 times
The rationale that cubsoxfan laid out is pretty solid. It would not make a whole lot of sense to live further from work and likely be paying more in taxes for schools that are not performing as well as those in towns that are closer. The affordability factor with a budget of ony $200k is going to be very hard to find in any of the towns. It probably makes sense to rent for now...

Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamu0815 View Post
cubssoxfan, that's enlightening to know that taxes are higher in Lake than Cook County. He is about to accept a job offer in Wheeling.
Are you staying at home or will you be working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs