Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving there and was wondering what parts of the city or apartment complexes are good for young professionals. I don't want to be around families and baby strollers all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,297 times
Chicago.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:36 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
The majority of apartments are clustered in a relative few spots for a town of nearly 150K. The north edge of Naperville, near the old AT&T campus along Warrenville Rd and Washington St provides for decent access to the north part of downtown Naperville as well as good routes to get to employment centers in towns to the west like Aurora or those to the east like Oak Brook. Similarly there are apartment near Ogden from basically the eastern border with Lisle all the way past Rt 59 where western extension becomes North Aurora Rd. These include some apartments that are ideally situated to hop right on the Metra. The stretch of Naperville's core, centered around Washington St from Gartner Rd north to about Bauer Rd has a mix of rental condo and apartments, mostly in smaller complexes.

I would not overlook the large number of apartments in nearby Lisle. From basically Rt 53 all the way to the North Central College Campus in the historic district of Naperville centered along Maple Ave as well the Warrenville Rd corridor there are both large complexes (like Four Lakes) and quieter private landlord situations.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,869 times
four lakes in lisle has a lot of young people. naperville doens't really have a specific area with alot of young people. maybe around north central college you get some young people renting houses and apartments instead of dorms but i still wouldn't say a huge population of young people. railway apartments on 59 adn north aurora road has a lot of young professionals but its also a lot of families and a ton of indians the whole place smells like curry which kinda bothered me when living there not being stereotyping its true teh hallways reeked.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM

382 posts, read 824,836 times
Most of Naperville is young professionals, but many have young children as well. For single professionals, I'd stick near downtown Naperville. There are a bunch of apts. right next to the train which seems to have more young, single people. Plus you have the added advantage of being near the North Central college campus and the night life in downtown Naperville. As an earlier poster suggested, Four Lakes Village is nearby and has a ton of young, single professionals as well. They also have a pub, skihill and a ton of pools.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,252 times
Quote:
Most of Naperville is young professionals,
This is not true. Nor is there any sort of neighborhood/ apartment complex that caters to young professionals. Naperville is not Evanston, and younger professionals seem to be fairly scattered about in random locations-where ever is a good fit for them.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:41 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I've always thought of Naperville as a majority white family town with good schools and cookie cutter houses. It does not strike me as having much a reality for a single professional as does some of the neighborhoods in Chicago or inner ring suburbs.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I've always thought of Naperville as a majority white family town with good schools and cookie cutter houses. It does not strike me as having much a reality for a single professional as does some of the neighborhoods in Chicago or inner ring suburbs.
It does though. A lot of young professionals work in those huge office buildings in and near Naperville.. And since these are far out suburbs, they move to the area instead of dealing with a long commute from the city.

So yeah, it would make sense for Naperville to have a lot more young professionals than the average Chicago suburb. Even if it's definitely a family town more than a place that young professionals gather.

If I had a good paying job in Dupage County, I'd prabobly move to western Cook County and deal with the commute. But that's just me. It's not what everyone does.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Very true...

The appeal of Naperville to "young professionals" is pretty much the same as to other spots like desirable neighborhoods on Chicago's north side -- well paying jobs at good employers, nice mix of similar employees, pleasant surroundings / good dining options, varied range of night spots, large pool of people to socialize with.

The fact is the core of Naperville is not at all cookie cutter, with a lovely mix of homes of varied sizes and styles with even the smaller ones offering a much better value than many other towns. It would difficult / impossible to find any town that offers a more visually appealing mix of housing at so attractive a range of price points,

The ease of commuting to downtown Chicago for either employment or leisure adds to the desirability as well. Frankly the superior speed of the BNSF gives Naperville a huge edge over other suburbs that are not as well served even though they may be physically nearer Chicago.

Folks that see things in only "black and white" and use pejoratives to denigrate places that do not fit their own biases perhaps should attempt to broaden their perspective. It is understandable that some people, like Urza, may prefer to live in an area where they might have more connections, but it is also commendable that urza can contribute in a positive way to assisting the OP in understanding the young professionals are in fact very well represented in Naperville for easy to ascertain reasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
It does though. A lot of young professionals work in those huge office buildings in and near Naperville.. And since these are far out suburbs, they move to the area instead of dealing with a long commute from the city.

So yeah, it would make sense for Naperville to have a lot more young professionals than the average Chicago suburb. Even if it's definitely a family town more than a place that young professionals gather.

If I had a good paying job in Dupage County, I'd prabobly move to western Cook County and deal with the commute. But that's just me. It's not what everyone does.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
I have friends in Naperville although it's mostly White it's not racist. (from what I've heard).

IMO. Naperville seems to be a good option for people who are attracted to the area of employment or lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs