Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 PM

20 posts, read 63,746 times

Advertisements

thanks alot for sending that

Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
If the objective of Sec 8 is to scatter the poor, then yes, Kenilworth, Winnetka, whatever, should have to do their share as well. What sense does it make to move Sec 8 poor into towns like Glendale Heights that are already struggling?

I hear lots of complaints about what the poor are getting. Someone asked this question already - Are you jealous of the poor? They stay up all night blasting their music and then sleep all day, while you have to go to work - so indeed you're jealous?

Old 07-20-2012, 01:20 PM

i'm all for helping needy people who are struggling but when a young healthy 30 year old is getting free money it just doesn't seem fair.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:23 PM

the very wealthy who have multiple homes, boats, extravagant things, spend a million dollars on parties, those people should be taxed higher to help the low income folks. but it's the rich people who run this world and it will never change unless somebody rich has some compassion.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:24 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
If the objective of Sec 8 is to scatter the poor, then yes, Kenilworth, Winnetka, whatever, should have to do their share as well. What sense does it make to move Sec 8 poor into towns like Glendale Heights that are already struggling?

I hear lots of complaints about what the poor are getting. Someone asked this question already - Are you jealous of the poor? They stay up all night blasting their music and then sleep all day, while you have to go to work - so indeed you're jealous?
Because Sec. 8 only pays a percetage of the rent. If the rent is high enough they simply can't afford. A struggling town equals low rent.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:32 PM

i don't consider 1200 low rent

Old 07-20-2012, 01:45 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

I don't think it's a jealousy thing. There are people who are legitimately in need of Section 8 vouchers and who rely on the program - and those people should be able to get Section 8. But there is also a sentiment that other people are scamming the system, either by not being honest about their qualifications for S. 8 or by moving in illegally with someone who is qualified. So it's not so much "I'm jealous because I have to work while you sleep all day and blast music all night." It's more of "I'm angry because tax dollars from my job that I have to wake up for are paying for you to sleep in and blast music all night."

Regardless, as someone else says, it's a failure of the government to enforce Section 8 regulations.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:06 PM

389 posts, read 920,657 times
Yikes,

I used to go to AnyTime Fitness in Glendale Heights because I had membership I transferred out of town. One night I found trash scattered around my car and on my mask. I did not see any serious damage or scratch to my car though. I notified owner via email and they did nothing, they just emailed me back to call them back. Yeah right, like they were hiding something to avoid documentation that could be used by my attorney or court if something serious happened. Next day, I left for vacation, but as soon as I came back, I transferred to Lifetime Fitness in Bloomingdale. I may pay more, but it is at least nicer and safer. It also has more amenities. And no one will trash my car because someone thinks I am "rich" because I have 2011 Toyota Corolla :/

Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Because Sec. 8 only pays a percetage of the rent. If the rent is high enough they simply can't afford. A struggling town equals low rent.
Yes, you are right. I'm all for helping the less fortunate but there has to be a way to gentrifiy Chicago without slumming another suburb. The only equalizer and the one that would wake up the rich towns such as the north shore in addressing this issue and getting involve to help out the rest of the suburbs is the Mount Laurel decision that was enacted in NJ. I think very strict rules and regulation will be adopted once the rich towns are affected. ANJEC

Although, I don't like the decision and interferes with the free market system, I can't think of any other way that would make a dramatic impact to help out towns like GH, unless the county and towns enforce strict rules with section 8. I'm afraid it may have a domino affect, and who knows this may spread to nearby towns such as Glen Ellyn and Wheaton. I guess for now, if there are no strict rules to enforce section 8, GH may have to take one for the team and be the sacrificial lamb for Mayor Daly's gentrification of Chicago.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgusting View Post
i don't consider 1200 low rent
Ah rent on a house on the west side of Chicago could go for $1000. Rent for an apartment about $600-$800. Your rent is low enough that a person on section 8 could afford to move there.

Also are you counting the $1200 check you mentioned as her rent? Sec 8 pays directly to the landlord, the tenant has to come up with their share to pay to the landlord as well. The $1,200 would have to come from somewhere else(disablility, widow's pension, maybe socal securuty).

Last edited by chirack; 07-20-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs