Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 39,849 times

Advertisements

well... other than Chinatown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
I'd give the nod to a lot of the north & northwest suburbs, followed by parts of the western suburbs.

Examples:

* Skokie
* Glenview
* Niles
* Morton Grove
* Northbrook
* Des Plaines
* Arlington Heights
* Schaumburg
* Mount Prospect
* Evanston (boosted by the presence of Northwestern University. Large % of the student pop is Asian.)

The west burbs have more SE Asians (Indians/Pakistanis) than East Asians, but if you include this group, you have to include

* Oak Brook
* Burr Ridge
* Naperville
* Lombard
* Downers Grove

There are others for sure, but these are some of the ones that do come to mind right away IMO.

Asian population percentages will be a lot higher than the US average in these towns, but not quite as high as some of the towns in places like California, Hawaii, and even New Jersey.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I really dislike the guessing that some folks do. Since the way that census statistics are collect lumps all folks into "alone" categories it likely really distorts percentages of folks of mixed parentage. Take a look at the data from Evanston:

White alone - 45,551 (61.2%)
Black alone - 13,139 (17.6%)
Hispanic - 6,739 (9.0%)
Asian alone - 6,355 (8.5%)
Two or more races - 2,313 (3.1%)
Other race alone - 280 (0.4%)
American Indian alone - 96 (0.1%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 13 (0.02%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Evanst...#ixzz21XjPlqMt

The other thing that happens is that folks from traditional Asian countries of the Pacific are lumped in with those who come from countries like India or perhaps even parts of the Middle East, as there is no other category for them to select...

Keep in mind too that a town like Evanston has some 77,000 residents. Even if undergrads are optimistically estimated at around 16,000 how many really show up in the census data there vs where their parents probably got census forms...

Percentage wise Wilmette is higher:
White alone - 22,471 (83.0%)
Asian alone - 2,909 (10.7%)
Hispanic - 902 (3.3%)
Two or more races - 518 (1.9%)
Black alone - 208 (0.8%)
Other race alone - 62 (0.2%)
American Indian alone - 10 (0.04%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 7 (0.03%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Wilmet...#ixzz21XkfkEP9

Westmont is way up there too:

White alone - 16,274 (65.9%)
Asian alone - 3,068 (12.4%)
Hispanic - 2,757 (11.2%)
Black alone - 2,107 (8.5%)
Two or more races - 405 (1.6%)
American Indian alone - 37 (0.1%)
Other race alone - 31 (0.1%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 6 (0.02%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Westmo...#ixzz21XkvHRnm

So is Oak Brook:
White alone - 5,395 (68.4%)
Asian alone - 1,830 (23.2%)
Hispanic - 339 (4.3%)
Black alone - 154 (2.0%)
Two or more races - 160 (2.0%)
Other race alone - 3 (0.04%)
American Indian alone - 2 (0.03%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Oak-Br...#ixzz21XlGLtEP

Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I'd give the nod to a lot of the north & northwest suburbs, followed by parts of the western suburbs.

Examples:

* Skokie
* Glenview
* Niles
* Morton Grove
* Northbrook
* Des Plaines
* Arlington Heights
* Schaumburg
* Mount Prospect
* Evanston (boosted by the presence of Northwestern University. Large % of the student pop is Asian.)

The west burbs have more SE Asians (Indians/Pakistanis) than East Asians, but if you include this group, you have to include

* Oak Brook
* Burr Ridge
* Naperville
* Lombard
* Downers Grove

There are others for sure, but these are some of the ones that do come to mind right away IMO.

Asian population percentages will be a lot higher than the US average in these towns, but not quite as high as some of the towns in places like California, Hawaii, and even New Jersey.
Bolingbrook has a pretty decent population. I would say its one of the most diverse middle to outer suburb in the metro area. If I were to move back to Chicagoland to raise a family, I could actually see Bolingbrook. Its solidly affordable middle class.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
Well assuming that by Asian you mean Eastern Asia then I add Naperville. The above poster mentioned SE Asians for Naperville and there are many here, but there is also a large Eastern Asian culture here...many churches in Korean, Chinese, etc and schools too. My daughters have several Asian children in their classes.

Having said that....I find that Naperville is also pretty diverse, especially with interacial couples. One of my daughter's best friends is Mexican and the other is Sri Lankan and Indian. We have Indian neighbors on two sides of us and friends that are white but have Chinese children. Our school is one that has a dual language program (Spanish) so there are many Hispanic children there. There is also a fair amount of Russian/Polish/Ukrainian families around too. I like it that way because my children grow up learning about many different cultures.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 39,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Well assuming that by Asian you mean Eastern Asia then I add Naperville. The above poster mentioned SE Asians for Naperville and there are many here, but there is also a large Eastern Asian culture here...many churches in Korean, Chinese, etc and schools too. My daughters have several Asian children in their classes.

Having said that....I find that Naperville is also pretty diverse, especially with interacial couples. One of my daughter's best friends is Mexican and the other is Sri Lankan and Indian. We have Indian neighbors on two sides of us and friends that are white but have Chinese children. Our school is one that has a dual language program (Spanish) so there are many Hispanic children there. There is also a fair amount of Russian/Polish/Ukrainian families around too. I like it that way because my children grow up learning about many different cultures.
yes I meant East Asians, funny how you mentioned Russian too since they can be Asian too haha

Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM

35 posts, read 95,940 times
South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis) are mainly concentrated in the West Suburbs (Oak Brook, Burr Ridge, Darien, Woodridge, Bolingbrook, Naperville, Downers) and the Northwest Suburbs (Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, etc.)

Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,682 times
Naperville has over 21,000 Asians, so if one is looking for Asian communities, it's worth exploring. It should be noted that such communities in Naperville are mostly self segregating, but that's what some people look for so...

Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Arlington Heights and Prospect Heights about 7%. Wheeling about 12% and Buffalo Grove 16%.
Why did I mention these cities? Because the schools I have been in have a lot of Asian children from many parts of Asia.
India, Pakistan, China, Korea, Japan, Middle East. The only non-white population that I still don't see enough of or a lot of are African Amercians-although they are slowly becoming a larger % as well. I like the diversity around here.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire has a huge Asian enrollment, mostly Chinese, I believe. Problem is that this is a multi-community high school drawing from Lincolnshire, Buffalo Grove, Long Grove, among other (and parts of other) communities so breakdown by municipality would be hard to determine. Suffice it to say this area in the northwest suburbs has a strong Asian component.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs