Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 13,806 times

Advertisements

My family may be potentially relocating to Chicago at the end of the year. We're in the process of looking for a place in one of the southern suburbs. I've browsed a lot of the forums on areas sout of the city and it seems like there are a few that stand out: Tinley Park, Orland Park, Homewood, and Flossmoor. I've scoured various sites looking at the data for each. Now I really just want some "on the ground" observations of the pros and cons for all of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are the things we are looking for:

1. Great schools
We have a 2-year old and this is probably a permanent move, so we want a great public school district.

2. Great family activities
A place relatively close to parks and other places for family-friendly fun.

3. Diverse community
This may be hard to find in some suburbs, but we really like the diversity of our current city and would like to experience that after we move to the Chicago-area.

4. Easy commute to Calumet City
I believe I'll be traveling on the 94 for a part of the commute and wasn't sure when traffic headed into Chicago backed up. Hopefully I miss it alltogether.

We'd like to rent a home in the area first and are willing to pay up to $1600 in rent. Otherwise, we may consider purchasing a home if we are comfortable the area suits all our needs. So we're looking at the $200,000-250,000 range on a home.

Any help you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. We look forward to our move and like to get a head start on brainstorming areas to look at for our transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:27 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Cal City borders Indiana so chet is right. I just moved to a condo in Flossmoor. But this is far from your only option. Cal City is very east so your sights seem narrow if you are looking at 2 southwest burbs out of a total of 4 burbs. Highland, IN. Maybe even look into Crete in Will County. Cal City is right up the road on 394. It's not a bad commute at all. The towns you are already looking at are good too. But honestly, I'd suggest taking a look around Lansing and at least giving it a chance. Lansing ain't too bad either. For diversity, Lansing, Homewood and Flossmoor make the most sense..

Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 AM

Okay great. Didn't quite think about Northwest Indiana. Although I heard Munster was a viable option in the Hoosier State. I've seen some red flags on Hammond though. I'll try to post something over in Indiana forum as a follow up. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:05 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Munster is surprisingly pleasant. The obvious care that most folks take maintaining their homes, high participation rate in things like youth sports, school activities and community events are all very good signs for long term stability

Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn11 View Post
Okay great. Didn't quite think about Northwest Indiana. Although I heard Munster was a viable option in the Hoosier State. I've seen some red flags on Hammond though. I'll try to post something over in Indiana forum as a follow up. Thanks for the suggestions.
umm.. Well, no one recommended Hammond. No one has prabobly told you to "just move to Calumet City" either, am I right?

If you're open to living in Hammond, you might as well start looking around in Cal City too..

Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM

I'm not open to living in Hammond. Like I said, a lot of red flags and was never really an option. Indiana wasn't really on the radar because I really didn't want to deal with tax issues (although there is some slight reciprocity between the states). Visited Cal City on a trip up. Wasn't very impressed at all and some in forums don't have great things to say about it. Not sure there are as many parks there as the other locations we've been looking at. Besides, distance isn't really a MAJOR issue since I'm not driving into Chicago and I am assuming that's where I'd hit the most traffic. I don't mind a 30 or so mile commute to Cal City (beats the 1.5 hour commute to West Los Angeles). so living in a nice suburb and commuting to Cal City certainly isn't an issue. Again, thanks for all the advice.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 PM

247 posts, read 688,829 times
If your children are going to attend public schools, then I would look into Homewood, Flossmoor, Orland Park/Orland Hills or Tinley Park, with Tinley Park being the least diverse on the list. Lansing is a decent town, but their schools aren't as good as the previous suburbs. Munster is nice with good schools, but also not as diverse. Cal City is a definite NO.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Orland Park and Tinley Park are nice. Frankfort is also pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs