Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM

117 posts, read 333,057 times

Advertisements

I never met anyone who didn't enjoy living in a property on or near a golf course. It's a huge selling point for a home. And like it or not the country clubs out there add prestige and overall aesthetic charm to olympia fields and flossmoor in particular. So the private country clubs just don't benefit the members. And The last time I was at the flossmoor country club. You can clearly see the racial diversity in the membership. I am sure the flossmoor country club is noteworthy as being one of the only major private country clubs in the entire country that is fully open to black members joining. Not to mention the olympia fields country club. Which is one of the only country clubs in the chicago area that host major PGA tournaments on a regular basis. When the 2003 US open was held at the Olympia Fields Country Club. I remember that being a huge deal for the entire area and really did shine a positive spotlight on the community as a whole.

Last edited by tjake; 07-31-2012 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
The old private clubs are very much an economic indicator of any area because the members are more likely to be CFO, CEO, COO, lawyers, doctors, top management, and community leaders with strong ties to the community. It is one of many things considered by corporate acquisitions before they move into an untested area.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
In my opinion, Homewood is comparible to Oak Park though. Olympia Fields has more in common with Oak Brook than Oak Park.. Seriously.
Seriously? Not even close. There are 72 Olympia Fields homes listed on the MLS right now, the median price is right around $200,000. Foreclosures and short sales account for 25 of those homes, more than a third. Oak Brook has 89 homes listed, median price is around $1,000,000, and there is just one foreclosure.

Olympia Fields kids go to Rich Twp. high schools, which are average at best. Jewel just closed because they can't support a mainstream supermarket, but they are gaining a Family Dollar store. The village doesn't have a library or fire department, they contract with neighboring towns for those services. The closest area for shopping is Matteson, which has numerous vacant big box stores, and a half empty and half demolished mall. On the plus side, Olympia Fields has a Metra station and Oak Brook doesn't. On the other hand, you'll probably have a pretty easy time finding a professional position in Oak Brook, so you won't need to commute downtown.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Seriously? Not even close. There are 72 Olympia Fields homes listed on the MLS right now, the median price is right around $200,000. Foreclosures and short sales account for 25 of those homes, more than a third. Oak Brook has 89 homes listed, median price is around $1,000,000, and there is just one foreclosure.

Olympia Fields kids go to Rich Twp. high schools, which are average at best. Jewel just closed because they can't support a mainstream supermarket, but they are gaining a Family Dollar store. The village doesn't have a library or fire department, they contract with neighboring towns for those services. The closest area for shopping is Matteson, which has numerous vacant big box stores, and a half empty and half demolished mall. On the plus side, Olympia Fields has a Metra station and Oak Brook doesn't. On the other hand, you'll probably have a pretty easy time finding a professional position in Oak Brook, so you won't need to commute downtown.
I think it's nice to compare different areas. But honestly it's not relevant to the topic to bash olympia fields by comparing it to oak brook which happens to be the ritziest neighborhood in the western suburbs. The CEO of McDonald's lives there after all. And McDonald's corporate headquarter is located in Oak Brook. The bottom line is olympia fields and flossmoor are very nice communities located in the southern suburbs. How it compares to the nicest neighborhood in the western suburbs is totally irrelevant. I can name at least a dozen very nice western suburbs that don't compare favorably to oak brook. And what it cost to currently buy a home in oak brook versus what it cost to currently buy a home in olympia fields has to get factored in there also. Olympia Fields compares very favorably to most neighborhoods with a similar price point.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 PM

Urza is young. We are not out of the longest recession since the 1930's and the housing market has not recovered. If the citizens of H-F want their communities to do more than just pretend to survive in the next decade or two they need to think differently today, develop a vision and plan, and begin to implement it.

My reference to Oak Park was is this. It offers residents a diversity: in Arts, award winning public library, parks, annual events and more -- all of which enriches lives and attracts new business. H-F can be vibrant and welcoming, have regional foods, and great restaurants, too, while it develops and promotes a strong identity. If the two communities would happen to do it together it would be even more awesome.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Urza is young. We are not out of the longest recession since the 1930's and the housing market has not recovered. If the citizens of H-F want their communities to do more than just pretend to survive in the next decade or two they need to think differently today, develop a vision and plan, and begin to implement it.

My reference to Oak Park was is this. It offers residents a diversity: in Arts, award winning public library, parks, annual events and more -- all of which enriches lives and attracts new business. H-F can be vibrant and welcoming, have regional foods, and great restaurants, too, while it develops and promotes a strong identity. If the two communities would happen to do it together it would be even more awesome.
I doubt that you will ever see homewood or flossmoor as lively as oak park. And I doubt too many flossmoor residents would prefer living in oak park. Oak Park borders the westside of chicago afterall. There is far more economic diversity in oak park. As in rich and poor. The houses in oak park are expensive, but most oak park residents do not live in single family residences. Oak park has a lot of condos and apartments. And they are a better value than living in more trendy westside chicago neighborhoods like wicker park and logan square. And definitely more family friendly. There are green line and blue line el stops in oak park. Again having cta el stops in flossmoor would be unimaginable and totally undesirable. To me oak park has always been a more upscale residential retreat to the westside of chicago. A good alternative if you want to live in a more family friendly neighborhood as opposed to wicker park or Ukrainian village. I remember when I used to visit a girlfriends apartment a few years ago who had moved from wicker park to oak park. And it's definitely a city neighborhood to the core. I even remember I used to have to drive around her block several times just to find a parking space. It's a bit more family friendly than iving in chicago. Kind of like living in beverly or hyde parke on the southside. But definitely not tranquility of a neighborhood like flossmoor where you can just let the kids ride there bikes to the park by themselves.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 PM

I understand these things. I am not suggesting H-F become an Oak Park. I am suggesting they do things to not stagnate, and to offer more for children and families, to keep the dollar local, invite business that is not another big box store and enrich their lives. There are many communities that do these things. I can think of one 40,000 pop community that started a Lacrosse club for kids 6-18 that is very popular and spawned another club some 50 miles away.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I understand these things. I am not suggesting H-F become an Oak Park. I am suggesting they do things to not stagnate, and to offer more for children and families, to keep the dollar local, invite business that is not another big box store and enrich their lives. There are many communities that do these things. I can think of one 40,000 pop community that started a Lacrosse club for kids 6-18 that is very popular and spawned another club some 50 miles away.

Flossmoor is multiple times more family friendly than living in oak park. You have to understand that oak park is very family friendly when comparing it to living in the city of chicago. Flossmoor is on an entirely different level of family friendliness. Although there is some very misinforming information out there about flossmoor that may lead someone to falsely believe otherwise. I know Homewood-Flossmoor to have one of the best park districts Homewood Flossmoor Park District - Illinois . Which includes a public golf course Coyote Run Golf Course, swimming pool with water slides, a dog park, all kinds of year round sports activities. Irons oaks environmental learning center in olympia fields. Which has outdoor activities for kids and a summer camp. Irons Oaks Environmental Learning Center . Olympia fields park district just built a new park which includes a splash pad. The matteson park district built a very impressive 24 million dollar community center a couple of years ago http://www.mattesoncommunitycenter.com/.

Last edited by tjake; 08-01-2012 at 12:33 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:

Yes, I am oh so young and stupid. That is, until I'm dating your 19 year old daighter.

Why are we even talking about the western suburbs? These areas have a conplety different dynamic than the southern suburbs.

Last edited by urza216; 08-01-2012 at 12:51 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 AM

I did not say you are stupid; those are your words. As I said, you are young; my grandchildren are older than you, so it is very unlikely you will date their mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs