U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,421 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest and doctor or practice that doesn't push vaccines or respects those who don't want to in the Marseilles/Ottawa area? Thank you.

 
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 AM
 
21,727 posts, read 37,184,337 times
Reputation: 10719
Educate yourself:

TLC’s vaccine misinformation piece vanishes into the ether. Do they owe readers an explanation? (Also: Chicago Sun-Times endorsement of anti-vaccine conference remains online.) UPDATED | The Panic Virus

A black hole of antivaccine misinformation – Respectful Insolence
 
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM
 
8,018 posts, read 5,860,214 times
Reputation: 3542
Im with Chet.
 
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM
 
108 posts, read 179,395 times
Reputation: 59
Merck Accused of Lying About Mumps Vaccine

Check out the last paragraph: "Find a Doctor Who Will Listen to your Concerns".

Keep reading, you are far from alone!
 
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM
 
10,261 posts, read 7,741,087 times
Reputation: 8341
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
Merck Accused of Lying About Mumps Vaccine

Check out the last paragraph: "Find a Doctor Who Will Listen to your Concerns".

Keep reading, you are far from alone!
Mercola is a quack..

FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

Quote:
In 2005, the FDA ordered Mercola and his Optimal Wellness Center to stop making illegal claims for products sold through his Web site
Quote:
In 2006, the FDA sent Mercola and his center a second warning that was based on product labels collected during an inspection at his facility and on claims made on the Optimum Wellness Center Web site
Quote:
In 2011, the FDA ordered Mercola to stop making claims for thermography that go beyond what the equipment he uses (Medtherm2000 infrared camera) was cleared for. The warning letter said that statements on Mercola's site improperly imply that the Meditherm camera can be used alone to diagnose or screen for various diseases or conditions associated with the breast, they also represent that the sensitivity of the Meditherm Med2000 Telethermographic camera is greater than that of machines used in mammography.
Dr. Mercola: Visionary or Quack? - Chicago magazine - February 2012 - Chicago
 
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 PM
 
108 posts, read 179,395 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Mercola is a quack..
I agree, credibility is everything.

Here's from the Wall Street Journal, referencing the same lawsuit as above referenced by Mercola:

Lawsuit Claims Merck Overstated Mumps Vaccine Effectiveness - WSJ.com

And of course you remember Vioxx:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/23/bu...ioxx-case.html
 
Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 AM
 
8,018 posts, read 5,860,214 times
Reputation: 3542
It's extremely scary that there are people who don't want to vaccinate there kids.
 
Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 AM
 
10,261 posts, read 7,741,087 times
Reputation: 8341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's extremely scary that there are people who don't want to vaccinate there kids.
Yes, especially given the new pertussis outbreaks. People need to make sure their children get their boosters for this. Often the disease is spread to infants who are not vaccinated from older people whose vaccinations have worn off who have a mild case.

Whooping Cough (Pertussis)

Whooping Cough is Back - International Science Times
 
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
 
108 posts, read 179,395 times
Reputation: 59
From the New England Journal of Medicine:
Who Refuses Vaccines And Why

Under paragraph "Who Refuses Vaccines And Why", you will see that it is the most affluent and educated families who are voluntarily refusing vaccines for their children, at an ever increasing rate:

"As compared with the undervaccinated children, the unvaccinated children were more likely to be male, to be white, to belong to households with higher income, to have a married mother with a college education, and to live with four or more children. 47 Other studies have shown that children who are unvaccinated are likely to belong to families that intentionally refuse vaccines, whereas children who are undervaccinated are likely to have missed some vaccinations because of factors related to the health care system or sociodemographic characteristics.48-51 "
 
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Chicago
1,997 posts, read 1,757,264 times
Reputation: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
From the New England Journal of Medicine:
Who Refuses Vaccines And Why

Under paragraph "Who Refuses Vaccines And Why", you will see that it is the most affluent and educated families who are voluntarily refusing vaccines for their children, at an ever increasing rate:

"As compared with the undervaccinated children, the unvaccinated children were more likely to be male, to be white, to belong to households with higher income, to have a married mother with a college education, and to live with four or more children. 47 Other studies have shown that children who are unvaccinated are likely to belong to families that intentionally refuse vaccines, whereas children who are undervaccinated are likely to have missed some vaccinations because of factors related to the health care system or sociodemographic characteristics.48-51 "
So what is your point? I'm not surprised that people who are more well-off think that they are immune (pun intended) to coming into contact with diseases that most people get immunized against. That doesn't make them intelligent or correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top