Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 PM

13 posts, read 38,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
There's also a daily pay lot in Geneva off of Rt. 31. It is a little farther from the station than the parking garage; it's probably a 3 minute walk.

The nice thing about getting the train in Geneva is that it is near the end of the line, so you have your choice of seats in the morning. The commute home, the trains will be crowded. If you want to sit in one of the single seats, then you'll want to get there 10 minutes or so before the train is scheduled to leave, at least. That is true for every Metra line I've used (UP North, UP West, BNSF). Of course, a crowded Metra train simply means no single person gets a two person seat. It's nothing like a crowded CTA train where people are smashed up together and it is very awkward and uncomfortable.

I grew up in St. Charles. It is a great town (my parents still live there, as do many of my friends). If I were commuting to Chicago daily, I would personally try to live as close to the Geneva metra station as I could because the whole drive, walk, train, walk commute gets old. If you can minimize the driving, that's an improvement, IMO.
Thank you so much for the info! Having commuted on quite a few Metra lines over the years, I know exactly what you mean. After reading what you wrote about the parking options, I looked up and found the commuter parking map. Here it is in case someone else needs it --> http://www.geneva.il.us/pd/PDFFiles/...parkingmap.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,957,785 times
Also, if buy something on the east side of St. Charles and find that parking in Geneva is too tough, it was MUCH easier to get a spot in the paid lot in West Chicago when I used to do that commute. It took me way too long to try going that way. Knowing that if the Geneva lots are full there's an alternative put my mind at ease when I lived out that way.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,197,736 times
Look into sections of Wheeling that are zoned for elementary district 23 and Wheeling HS. Wheeling HS test scores are mediocre due to being very diverse, but they are very academically and vocationally focused. They are a STEM school and offer quite a few honors and AP courses like all HS D214 schools do. Is it on par with Stevenson? No. Is it still a good HS-yes. The section on the NE corner of Hintz and Schoenbeck has "Newer" homes. In this area, newer is anything built after 1980-85 and is probably built before 1990-95. I believe this subdivision was built mid- 80's, early 90's. There is also a section on the SW corner of Hintz and Rte 83. Older homes, but very solidly built. Can you do a 3 bedroom with a finished basement containing bedroom 4?
Palatine may be another area to consider as well. Palatine HS is similar to Wheeling in that the test scores are mediocre, but the academics are actually higher and a college bound student will receive a good education and get into a good university.
Both areas have Metra service to Downtown and are not a bad drive to Schaumburg, Lake Forest or Waukegan.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 AM

13 posts, read 38,601 times
Thanks Nikita and cubssoxfan!

Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 AM

28 posts, read 96,331 times
I agree with cubssoxfan, I graduated from Wheeling (last century ) and it is a good school.

If you are already looking in this area, look at homes north of Lake Cook road. You get some decently priced homes and Stevenson High school. It's rated as one of the better schools in the state for as long as I can remember.

Look at Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills and maybe unincorporated Deerfield.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Default Needle in a haystack vs unicorn...

A single family home in Stevenson attendance area under $250K?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,197,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoLiki View Post
I agree with cubssoxfan, I graduated from Wheeling (last century ) and it is a good school.

If you are already looking in this area, look at homes north of Lake Cook road. You get some decently priced homes and Stevenson High school. It's rated as one of the better schools in the state for as long as I can remember.

Look at Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills and maybe unincorporated Deerfield.
As Chet mentioned, "Ain't gonna happen!" Taxes in Stevenson attendance area are very high, but you are paying for the schools.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM

28 posts, read 96,331 times
There are many homes north of Lake Cook in BG under $250,000

Taxes are relative... One of my co-workers lives in Waukeegan and her house is valued lower than mine and she pays more in taxes. When we were shopping around for the last house we bought (within last 2 years) taxes in Grayslake, Mundelein Buggalo Grove (North), Vernon Hills and Lincolnshire were all about the same.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Default Um no...

Currently there are only a handful of SF detached, they're shortsales, some of which seem to suspiciously long on the market as though the "sellers" are really try to wait out the lender -- not really appropriate for relocation situation if someone wants a home for their family...

1416 Margate, BUFFALO GROVE, IL 60089 | MLS# 08055020 | Redfin

303 Gardenia Ln, BUFFALO GROVE, IL 60089 | MLS# 07822237 | Redfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoLiki View Post
There are many homes north of Lake Cook in BG under $250,000 ...

Old 08-25-2012, 10:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,677,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonigro View Post
Try Lake Zurich or Volo or Wauconda. These are all lovely areas with what you are looking for. I maybe able to help. I am a REALTOR.

MOD CUT: TOS Violation. Read the rules, and then JOIN our REALTORS FORUM where you can advertise and network. You may NOT advertise in the forums.
Which forum is it that you can advertise in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs