Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,104 times

Advertisements

My husband has been working in the Chicago area for some years. We have wanted to move closer to Chicago, but have had a hard time finding housing that met our needs (safe, affordable, accomodates 3 children...) He has recently been offered a sublet on a condo that is owned by a friend. I know nothing about the Warrenville area, we have always looked in Tinley Park/Mokena areas. How do the two areas compare? My husband says the commute time from Warrenville isn't a factor for him, as his working area differs on a regular basis (he isn't office based, but rather "out in the field").

Things that are important to us:

Safe neighborhood - the friend and my husband who has visited the friend often say this neighborhood is very quiet and safe. What about Warrenville on the whole? The information I've found seems to say it is relatively safe.

Variety of churches within easy driving distance - we don't have a church home at this time, but I'm looking for one. I grew up Presbyterian and have gone to a Baptist church as an adult. I was also introduced to the Lutheran church as a child and loved it, I'd like to have access to several different churches to see which one best fits our needs at this time, as well as finding one that we can benefit the church body.

Secular homeschool groups - We homeschool, but not for religious purposes. I've found a lovely secular homeschool group where we are now, and it kind of makes my head hurt to think of starting over in that search. We just want some peer interaction for the kids, the opportunity to go on field trips together, maybe some organized activities or a co-op. I don't necessarily want or need one that offers a lot of classes, and I've found that, as someone who isn't homeschooling due to religious beliefs, I don't always have a lot to talk about in a group that is billed as Christian homeschoolers. We will be moving too far from our home to continue with the group we are in now.

YMCA - we have active children and would like to find a good, clean, safe YMCA within driving distance. Having homeschool opportunities at the Y (swim classes, art classes, PE, etc...) would be a huge bonus!

This one might be harder: Speech Language Pathologists and Occupational Therapists for children. One of our children has been diagnosed with a severe language disorder (MERLD) and sensory issues. He is receiving therapy for his language problems with a SLP who is familiar with MERLD (and this is not therapy about producing clearly articulated speech, it is therapy for a deficit in understanding spoken language and also vocabulary deficits due to his disorder). He has also been diagnosed with SPD, sensory processing disorder, and requires Occupational Therapy for that. Even names of therapists/clinics, located in the area or close by, that I could call would be greatly appreciated. Again, we will be moving too far from our home to continue with the therapists we see now.

Most of the rest of what I wanted to know I've found by "googling", but these are stumping me. Any information you can pass along would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
For SLPs and OTs, try Naperville or Wheaton - both are easy drives. I don't see anyone in Warrenville itself that fits.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Warrenville is very safe and has a sleepy, small town feel to it.
As for churches, they do have a Presbyterian, baptist, and Lutheran churches.

For home schooling groups, you may want to contact the city and ask them about it. I'm sure they have references to help you out.

Also warrenville has a nice park district that offers countless activities for everyone from toddlers to seniors, however does not have a YMCA. Neighboring naperville has one however

Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
As a resident of Wheaton which is about the closest town to Warrenville (its in our school district), I can assure you its very safe. If you are lacking any thing there you can drive to Wheaton which is about a five or ten minute drive away. Naperville too, is very close to Warrenville. Also 1-88 has a on and off ramp in Warrenville so its got a good road to get to many other parts of the Chicago metro area.

Do not know much about home schooling but I think there are probably a good number of folks doing it around here. There is also a nice YMCA in Glen Ellyn which is not too terribly far. Its called the BR Ryall YMCA.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 PM

60 posts, read 187,191 times
I used to work at a few places in Warrenville. Make sure to check the water quality. Both places had sulfur type smelling discolored water.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,104 times
Thank you all for the information! I looked up the YMCA listed and it has homeschool PE! Wonderful!

I will keep that in mind about the water. I did notice the water in Tinley Park having an odd smell/taste to it. We always drink bottled and use a filter on the shower, I just added using bottled water to cook because it really was stinky.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Warrenville use to have that "well water" smell and taste to the water many, many years ago, but does not have that problem any more unless your home uses a private well, but that is the case everywhere that has one.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 AM

9 posts, read 18,134 times
I have lived in Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and St. Charles. My ex has an office in Warrenville. I would agree that it is an area where people generally feel very safe. It's proximity to Naperville and Wheaton should help to meet all your needs. Even though it's known as the bible belt, I don't think you'll have much trouble in finding a home schooling group to meet your needs. The Fox Valley area takes educating their children very seriously, be it private, public, or home schooling. I raised four children there and knew many fine families.
Best wishes to you and your family!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Some quibbles...

The Fox Valley generally includes towns along the Fox River, of those you mention that would only include St. Charles. While St. Charles is a lovely town and has some good schools the data available rate the level of performance higher in other towns in DuPage Co.. Not sure how important any of that is to some one fully committed to home schooling regardless of school quality...

I also find it curious that anyone would consider any part of the broad region overly / overtly religious -- having lived and worked in this area for so long I remember when farmers were a legitimate source of land i have NEVER heard anyone outside this board characterize DuPage Co in such light. Yes Wheaton is home to a college that is run by religious supporters of Billy Graham but the influence that Wheaton College exerts on the broader community is non-existent, even as far as an employer it pales in comparison to secular organizations like Central DuPage Hospital or DuPage Country / Forest Preserve/ College of DuPage...

Other than those points I completely agree that any of the towns mentioned in this thread so far are all excellent places to raise one's family and there are resources for those who wish to home school but if the reason for home schooling is to avoid religious extremists that is highly misplaced. Similarly based on the shear number of schools in the area that appear on the Illinois Honor Roll it may be silly not to take advantage of public schools that all residents are entitled to. I would even go so far as to suggest that an involved/dedicated parent willing to volunteer their time toward anything from a "classroom parent" that drops in to help out with anything from clerical tasks to prepping supplies / experiments to serving on an elected School Board would do more to help their children and those of their neighbors than a home schooler and probably with a less onerous time commitment.

Illinois Honor Roll - Academic Excellence Awards 2011 List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseyheart View Post
I have lived in Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and St. Charles. My ex has an office in Warrenville. I would agree that it is an area where people generally feel very safe. It's proximity to Naperville and Wheaton should help to meet all your needs. Even though it's known as the bible belt, I don't think you'll have much trouble in finding a home schooling group to meet your needs. The Fox Valley area takes educating their children very seriously, be it private, public, or home schooling. I raised four children there and knew many fine families.
Best wishes to you and your family!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 18,134 times
Thank you Chet for correcting my information.
You are absolutely correct, Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are not actually consider to be part of the Fox Valley area. When I lived in those communites many years ago, I recall people often referring to them as being such. But I never thought to question it. That was back in "yuppy" days, perhaps it was just the desire of some who wanted to associate themselves with the FV area? And I'm embarrassed to say, that my reference to being in the bible belt was made for the exact same reason. When I lived in those areas, residents often reffered to them as being such.
I agree with you that the area is not overtly/overly religious and didn't mean to imply that it was. Again, my mistake for using labels when I clearly never really understood how significant they were. Thank you for educating me a little today, I'm truly embarrassed but at least I'm smarter : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs