Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 AM

493 posts, read 980,261 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are starting to look at homes. Our apartment lease is up in May, and we will most likely be looking for a house either for May 2013 or May 2014. The main problem is that we don't even have a suburb picked yet, so actually looking at houses is but a pipe dream. Some of the crucial points:

My husband works in Palatine, usually night shift, but his schedule changes. The commute to Palatine cannot be horrible, preferably under 20-30 minutes. We are not really into "night life", so that is not important.

We do not have kids and won't be having kids, so school zones are not an issue for us. Still, a good school zone would be useful for resale, but since that can very well change before we move, it is not too important.

Safety/crime rate is very important. I do not want to pay for a house just to not feel safe living there.

Budget and property tax is very important. Under 200K would be ideal, over 300K is starting to get unrealistic. I know that in the Chicago suburbs this is a hard number to reach, and if necessary we will wait a few years to get a better budget, but we would prefer to find something in this range.

Preference is a 3-4 bedroom, single family home with 2-2.5 bathrooms, 1500 sq ft or more. Our current apartment is a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1400 sqft. and we don't want to downgrade.

I work in Northwest Indiana, but most of my time is spent working from home. Commute is no issue for me since I rarely make it.

We lived in Crystal Lake before, and now live in Glendale Heights.

So, city-data peeps, any suburb suggestions? Any information regarding property tax rates for different suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 PM

382 posts, read 824,628 times
I would look into some of the towns in McHenry County. Less expensive homes in areas like Crystal Lake for example, and your hubby's commute would likely be 30 minutes to Palatine.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
A smaller home in Arlington Heights. The Arlington Vista neighborhood perhaps. It is off Palatine Rd., between I-294 and Rte 53 giving you good access to getting into. it is also very convenient to husbands job. Maybe Mt. Prospect or Rolling Meadows. Although if you get too far from palatine Rd, your next entrance to I-294 south is off of Rand just south of Dempster. Staying about 30 minutes or less for husbands job and close to I-294 for your trip to NW Indiana should be priorities. Maybe Des Plaines. Housing is less because the schools aren't as highly rated as other nearby NW suburbs. McHenry County is not a good choice. Waay too much extra time commuting for you to NW Indiana and also unnecessarily far from husbands job in Palatine. If you want a more country feel, look into Lake Zurich or Wauconda. Closer to palatine, but again you are adding an extra 30 minutes to your occasional commute to NW Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs