U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 AM

24 posts, read 90,581 times

Advertisements

Sorry for posting multiple threads but we're in a bind with agreeing.

I want Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park area. I work downtown but a lot of possibilites for jobs are up North.

He has his own business and has always lived/felt comfortable SW side. We both agree Palos/Orland is getting old. He loves LaGrange area (Hinsdale, Western Springs, Indian Head Park).

Budget $420k w/ negotiations. Need to be near Metra for me and expressways for both.

We are looking for an open-type floor plan, he's starting to come down on his 1/2 acre or nothing dreams (got him to go to 1/4th acre and above). I want a sense of community, good schools (Lyons Township or Northbrookish).

Here's the thing. We drove through SW/West burbs (Hinsdale/Indian Head Park, etc) and while I did like Indian and love LaGrange, Hinsdale quite honestly got me nervous. I just feel that a true SW-sider who likes to have summer parties, have a diversity of friends, and yes, would have an Obama poster outside would no fit in to the million dollar home Hinsdale. I don't want my son to get influenced by "this is never good enough" which we can bring (I'll never make/afford a million. Heck, I drive a Forrester). I want our son to remain down to earth but to take advantage of great schools and be social. I don't want him to be social where parents and kids will look at us like we're the Honey Boo Boos of Hinsdale.

Husband hates it up North. He says too far for his clients (most are near South burbs). I just don't want to make a mistake with living surrounded beyond our means or not a good resale. Most of our friends are South West. Both of our best friends are up North.

I'm sure either places North or S/W are fine for our needs but is Western Springs/Hinsdale really just about status, money, and keeping up? I mean both me and my husband have tattoos, listen to rock/metal, are liberal and when I drove through the million dollar neighborhood of Hinsdale I felt like we wouldn't fit in.

How's Indian Head Park for community/raising a kid? We were even looking west of LaGrange Road into Countryside/LaGrange Highlands.

I'm so confued. I just want to make the right decision. Lot of money on the table for us and we look at this as our stay until our son graduates high school home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:32 AM

28,384 posts, read 67,971,595 times
Default You need to get some perspective...

Really? "the honey boo-boo" factor? You take make-up tips from the spirit of Tammy Faye Baker???

There are probably MORE folks in the north suburbs that are into the whole "visible displays of feigned afluence" than west burbs. Plenty of Suburu owners in LaGrange and all along the BNSF.

I have a more than a little experience having summer parties (and fall / winter / spring ones too...) with a diversity of my friends over and my neighbors love my SW side sausage cooking skills, choice of beverages and entertainment / soundtrack. You got nothing to worry about in that regard. There are no abundance of folks in Deerfield, Glenview or Northbrook rooting for "four more years" of messy politics but I know for a fact that a whole lot of the dough that flowed into the "hope & change war chest" of 2008 came directly from Hinsdale and was motivated by comments from Hinsdale's own VERY traditional Republican State Senator (and one time Governors's candidate...) Kirk Dillard.

I have some experince with real estate in Indian Head Park and it tends to be a little isolated, which can be appealing to folks that do not need to take Metra daily but still not so far that a drive to Western Springs is out of the question. Some of the older homes are TERRIFIC values, updating a big ranch can be an opportunity to go full-on mid-century modern retro OR be an easy path to go for a update more along the lines of Flipping Out California sleek but warm look. You won't get a traditional town center like spots along the BNSF but access to things like Fitness Centers and golf courses is top notch.

If look to LaGrange Highlands you get very highly rated schools and developments that are a little more walkable, though still not like the traditional grid / city blocks of LaGrange. Parts of Countryside have similar attractive features, schools with larger numbers of apartments tend to have sharper break in performance.

$420k won't land you a tricked out place in any these desirable areas so it really comes down to how much you are willing to compromise on and how likely your updates will put you money ahead. I would certainly feel comfortable having clients stretch for a place that needs a little work in a real "top of the heap" location.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Ha. No. Makeup application grounded. Tattoos though are another. I can just picture being the short sale house in Hinsdale at $425k surrounded by the million (we saw 2 of them) dollar homes and here we are with husband shirtless showing off his rocker and shark tattoos and my "Jersey Plates" (as he calls them) with my newly done shoulder tat. Kid laughing at every burp and fart all while shoving his feet in his friend's face telling them to "smelllllll it". I can picture the rich getting the vapors and fainting.

Yesterday we took a gander all through the Indian Head/Hinsdale/Western Springs from Joliet Road to County Line Road to 294ish. Found some we could afford. One in Indian we loved but it's taken now.

And I kid (to a degree) we're not white trash by any means but sometimes you can't take a good fart joke laugh out of the SW-sider even if they live in Hinsdale/LaGrange or Highland Park.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM

Default Things are probably A LOT MORE uptight in other places...

Hinsdale has pretty much no HOAs and the few developments in town that do have 'em generally just do it so that "common elements" like lobby / parking lots of town houses are maintained. You are not going to get flack for hanging laundry out to dry or other silly stuff. If you are showing off your ink while sunbathing in the all-together you might get some irate neighbor lady who's worried you might be after her hubby, imagine that would be the same in even the most unrarified of places...

If you are happy with what you money will buy and feel good about the long term price trends you really should have no reservations about spending $400K in Hinsdale; if the neighbors massively over paid that is their problem, not yours.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,060,877 times
The W/SW burbs you are looking at are quite nice. Have you taken your hubbie on a tour of Arlington Heights and Prospect Heights? Typically there are yard signs from both parties during all the elections. It feels moderate here, not extreme.
I can suggest some nice neighborhoods that put you within 15 minutes of 294 and offer COUNTER rush hour commuting. Have you considered staying put until you have a job up north? A smart husband will quickly realize the benefits of his wife being home within 20 minutes instead of arriving frazzled after a 45+ minute slog home and it may require living this for him to decide you being closer to home is more important than his affinity for the w/SW burbs.
And you don't need to go Northbrook-y for excellent schools. Look into D23 and D25 and Hersey and Prospect High Schools and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Good news is it seems like you have chosen some very nice areas to reside in.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:42 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,222,457 times
^I would think a smart wife would feel the same about her husband though, too.

It seems to me that you want north, OP, and your husband wants south, so west really seems like the fairest compromise and the thing that makes the most sense all around. I only lived in the area for a short time, but we did a lot of exploring and driving around as is our style, and I think you're overstating the "hoity toity" factor a bit. I definitely think you and your family could be happy there.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM

375 posts, read 847,743 times
LaGrange would be perfect for you. It is definitely mixed politically, tons of young families and good schools. It also has a cute downtown with a nice combo of stores/restaurants. Great Metra and highway access.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 AM

Kindrakindra, honestly, I agree with you. If it's North, then I would want Northbrook. (although I LOVE Highland Park's architecture).

We just saw 2 LaGrange homes that were just listed. Called our agent--under contract. I don't get this "just listed" yet taken as soon as we call.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 AM

Default It is pretty simple...

Agents are the first to admit that they live on "fast sales" this time of the year -- if someone wisely prices their home where the value is fully suppoorted by comps and in the most attractive range (currently in LaGrange that is about $275 to $475k) it will either "go under contract before processing" or as soon as it hits the MLS.

The buyers agents have lists of folks that are interested in homes in this price category and the best prepared buyers already have financing in place and a pre-reviewed sales offer sheet / contract ready to fax over.

If you are serious about desirable town / target rice it makes sense to get your ducks in a row...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccupiccu9 View Post
Kindrakindra, honestly, I agree with you. If it's North, then I would want Northbrook. (although I LOVE Highland Park's architecture).

We just saw 2 LaGrange homes that were just listed. Called our agent--under contract. I don't get this "just listed" yet taken as soon as we call.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,060,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^I would think a smart wife would feel the same about her husband though, too.

It seems to me that you want north, OP, and your husband wants south, so west really seems like the fairest compromise and the thing that makes the most sense all around. I only lived in the area for a short time, but we did a lot of exploring and driving around as is our style, and I think you're overstating the "hoity toity" factor a bit. I definitely think you and your family could be happy there.
True, but in homes where BOTH parents work, typically the wife ends up being "the point person" responsible for the kids. Obviously this is evolving as house husbands increase in numbers and husbands become better at achieving more of a 50/50 split of kids and household management. But the reality is that it still falls primarily on the wife's shoulders. It was worth bringing up since I'm not convinced all couples really discuss this and end up "swimming after they've jumped into the deep end" of Mom working 8+ hours a day and having to deal with 90-120 minutes of commuting every day.

I'm still confused, why move BEFORE the wife has found her job? What happens if they're in Northbrook and she ends up working off of I-88 in Naperville? Or she ends up working for Abott in North Chicago and she ends up with the hassle of commuting from Ogden and 55th all the way to North Chicago 94 and Buckley?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs