Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 PM

60 posts, read 191,127 times

Advertisements

getting a new job in deerfield and need help on where to buy. i am married and have a small child, so schools and safety are important. i would like to be no more than 30 minutes to deerfield. i can only spend 325k or less and want a somewhat newer 2 story 3 bedroom house. there seems to be a lot of stuff in mundelein, but the schools don't have the best test scores. any input is appreciated. also we will only consider places with sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 06:55 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Deerfield is surrounded by expensive areas. You might try Buffalo Grove. It may look over your budget, but remember, this is a buyers market and many homes have been on the market for so long, you may be surprised at the deals to be made. Would you consider a townhome to start? That would let you in more markets and there are some really nice ones in BG. Wheeling has more affordable housing . Maybe someone else can help with Wheeling schools.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:46 AM

we can't consider a townhome cause of our dog and anyway the amount of money you pay in HOA dues would be stupid. Really the highest we can go is probably 350k. I've seen some nice newer homes in vernon hills in our price range, but eveyone talks about how horrible the traffic is. do areas of vernon hills even have sidewalks?

Old 10-12-2007, 07:57 AM

Parts of Vernon Hills has sidewalks. It depends on the neighborhood. Its a nice family area,and has a metra station for the city.Traffic is traffic anywhere around the areas at rush hrs. I would say Vernon Hills,or Buffalo Grove would both be good choices. You would not have to take any major free ways, it shouldnt be that bad for traffic

Old 10-13-2007, 10:48 AM
cag

5 posts, read 22,927 times
To rule out a townhome because of a dog or HOA is totally ridiculous in the chicago area. Many HOA's include, lawn maintence, snow removal, garbage pick up etc. One must evaluate what the HOA's cover. Some will have pools which you will not have in a home etc. There are many high end townhomes that are actually just duplexes like in the woodlands of fiore in buffalo grove. Many of these have nice yards in the back also.

Other areas to look in are Arlington Heights, Palatine, Des Plaines, Skokie and other cities in Cook Country because this will lower your property taxes and increase your ability to go up to maybe a 400k house.

Many people do not consider that property taxes are figured in the amount that you are allowed to borrow so if you lower your property taxes and increase your mortgage you would be at the same payment.
T

Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cag View Post
To rule out a townhome because of a dog or HOA is totally ridiculous in the chicago area. Many HOA's include, lawn maintence, snow removal, garbage pick up etc. One must evaluate what the HOA's cover. Some will have pools which you will not have in a home etc. There are many high end townhomes that are actually just duplexes like in the woodlands of fiore in buffalo grove. Many of these have nice yards in the back also.

Other areas to look in are Arlington Heights, Palatine, Des Plaines, Skokie and other cities in Cook Country because this will lower your property taxes and increase your ability to go up to maybe a 400k house.

Many people do not consider that property taxes are figured in the amount that you are allowed to borrow so if you lower your property taxes and increase your mortgage you would be at the same payment.
T
Didn't mean to rustle your feathers. also I have been a homeowner for many years so I know how mortgages work, but thanks for the input.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:57 PM

Yes, most of the nice people on here who post information to try to help others, like to get a simple "thanks" for their effort.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 15,046 times
Polly try Barrington schools. Your drive will be 30 minutes, maybe 40 with traffic. Houses are still expensive out there but you are not too far from the Woodfield Mall, a lot of parks, and entry into a community

Check out this house, has most of what you want I think:

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Be sure when you look at houses to google map the address from your workplace. Anything saying Port Barrington or Barrington is probably way too far.

You may also try Palatine/Inverness. The Chicago market is criminally expensive. Where 315k would be great elsewhere its not as easy here. Good luck with your search. You could definitely get houses for that price in Lake Zurich or Mundelein but I agree that the schools wouldn't be as good as well.

Last edited by anon181; 10-13-2007 at 10:38 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 10:33 PM

that house looks great. so if i look west, what street do people take east? do people take dundee road or east lake cook road? do those road have a lot of lights and stop and go traffic?

Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 15,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollywannacracker View Post
that house looks great. so if i look west, what street do people take east? do people take dundee road or east lake cook road? do those road have a lot of lights and stop and go traffic?
The fastest road is Palatine Road. Its a mini-expressway for sections. You can take it up to the Tri-State and there aren't as many lights. Lake Cook is a major through road and there are a lot of lights. You could try Dundee Road but unless it is too far south out of your way, Palatine is your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs