U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,020,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel3 View Post
Thanks for your replies. Didn't mean to get overly political here, just wanted an idea of what Wheaton conservative actually meant. (As compared to the conservatives in Texas mentioned by Jak88.) I don't dislike conservatives, just want to live somewhere where it's kind of balanced both ways, or at least not outrageously weighted too far to the right-- or left for that matter. Not sure if such a suburb exists!
Wheaton definitely leans right. I found Warrenville to have a good mix, as for St. Charles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:15 PM

474 posts, read 2,274,109 times
Default Lets Answer Hazel's Question

Hello Hazel 3:

Billy Graham graduated from Wheaton College circa 1947 - 1950. After Billy Graham became a famous world - wide preacher - - starting around 1951 - - other American families also wanted their kids to follow in Billy Graham's footsteps. So then the start of the popularity of Wheaton College.
Today, on the Wheaton College campus, is a huge building known as the Billy Graham Center. And I'm sure there is more information on the Wheaton College web site.
So what does Billy Graham believe in? If you have watched / listened to his television / radio messages, then he makes it very clear. Like me, he is a "Born Again Christian". For more information of what that means, then read the first four books in the Bible. Mathew, Mark, Luke & John.
Billy Graham is now retired and lives in North Carolina. He has a very beautiful farmstead on the side of a mountain. His mailing address is either Swananoah, Montreat or Black Mountain, NC. I don't remember which one.
Franklin Graham, a son of Billy Graham, has taken over his father's preaching engagements. Franklin is also the founder of "The Samaritan's Purse" and that is located in Boone, NC.
Although Wheaton is changing like previously mentioned, there are many church going born again Christians who still reside in Wheaton. And so that is Wheaton's definition of 'conservative / Christians'.
EVERYONE has a 'right' to state what they believe in. You have a 'right' and so do I. You have a right to ask your question and I have a right to answer it.
With Christian families in the town of Wheaton, there is less crime, better schools, better camarderie - - because many people believe those standards written in the Bible.
So I hope this answers your questions about the conservatism, Christianity of people in Wheaton, IL.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 28,539 times
HOWELL_STREET,
Thanks for you response.
Regards

Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Hello Hazel 3

Here is a little more about Wheaton - - in particular - - to answer your questions.
Back in the 1960s, a Bible student named Ken Taylor decided that he wanted to paraphrase the King James Bible. The King James has been around ever since circa 1600. So it has old style British English and is sometimes difficult to read with the "Thee & Thou' language.
So Ken Taylor traveled via train back and forth to The Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Ken's goal was - - with Moody's Biblical scholar guidance - - to paraphrase the King James version. Paraphrase does not mean to change its meaning but only to make the language more up to date. Although it was a very difficult project, he finally suceeded with his "Living Bible" version. If I am not mistaken, it was the first of many paraphrased versions to come later. In particular, the American Revised Standard Bible. Also the New International Version Bible. There are others, too, like the New King James version.
So after the "Living Bible" became famous, he con-currently founded Tyndale House Publications. Tyndale Publications is located on the edge of Wheaton and Carol Stream and is now a world - wide publisher in Christian literature. Other Christian organizations still in Wheaton include Pioneer Clubs, and Crossway Books.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 10-12-2007, 06:50 PM

610 posts, read 2,380,580 times
Wheaton is conservative in many ways. As mentioned before it tends to lean to the right, was a dry town for a long time (not any more), doesn't embrace change as much as neighboring towns and a religious undercurrent is present. However, there are many people who do not lean to the right and are not religious, you just have to find them The town is very family friendly and there is a great sense of community. People care about each other and are involved in many ways. Because of this sense of community there are great schools, park district and neighborhood organizations. On the outside it has a conservative profile but once you are here you can find just about any niche.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 PM

383 posts, read 1,006,421 times
I don't think the political leanings of a city should matter much anyway, unless they are very radical. I wouldn't want to live in certain areas of California or Oregon.

I think you just need to take the view of a realist and a skepticist, and follow the status quo while keeping your own beliefs too yourself.

For example, I work at a heavily liberal work environment. I don't mind it one bit, I avoid politics and when politics is talked about I agree with what everyone else has to say. This avoids stress, arguments, and makes me a happier person on the inside for avoiding such a stupid situation that I really shouldn't care about.

I would apply this same logic to anyplace in life where people have differing viewpoints. Trust me, coming from Texas, you will NOT find a city in Illinois that is overly conservative. Illinois has a pretty tolerant population, unless you're on the internet of course. I'm sure the conservatism in Wheaton is nothing to worry about. Bite your tongue, just nod your head yes, and go on about your business and enjoy the nice family life that everyone talks about from Wheaton.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 PM

57 posts, read 235,834 times
Wheaton is very nice, as are most areas in DuPage County. It has more character than some of the newer, more sprawling suburbs to the west. But even if it's a little more "conservative" than you're used to, trust me, you'll find plenty of diversity in all of the surrounding towns. When you're in a metro area that large, conservative neighborhoods and liberal neighborhoods are all mixed in with moderate and apolitical neighborhoods. It's not something I'd worry about.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:43 PM

6 posts, read 28,539 times
Thanks to all for your replies, they've helped a lot.
Regards

Old 10-13-2007, 09:57 PM

137 posts, read 469,319 times
Wheaton may be conservative, but not so much so that you couldn't have an opinion. It's a great place to raise a family. Billy Graham had his roots there, but so did John Belushi! It used to be known, as the "Bible thumper belt". It still has some recognition for that. But all in all, it's a great place to live. House values are a little on the high side, but it is a beautiful community, and has good access to the transit system.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:15 AM

Default As A First Time Buyer In Dupage County...

My daughter and her husband are interested in a first time home in Wheaton. They have a possible very tiny home (864 sq. feet) that has been dropped in price to $258,900. It once had a fire but has been rebuilt. Since my daughter is maxed out at $190K, they did not think they could afford ANY single family home in Wheaton. For some homes, prices exceed one million dollars. However, with the help of a number of people on the City-Data Mortgage Forum, we have discovered a little known first time buyer assistance in DuPage County. And so I pass this info on to you folks. For more information, go to "www.dhoc.org" and also add the extension, "/buyer.html" to it. The information about a temporary grant within four mortgages should be beneficial to many people.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass.
Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs