Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:49 PM

61 posts, read 179,288 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that some of the booers were Hillary supporters? Just asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 04:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartthrower View Post
Is it possible that some of the booers were Hillary supporters? Just asking.
This parade was 2 years ago, so no.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,875 times
I agree with Nannie, the conservative element is present but is not a factor for newcommers of any beliefs or politics.
I moved here from Naperville and love it... the town has so much to offer families!
Re conservativitism: I am sometimes (pleasently) reminded of that element when I notice another family quietly "giving thanks" before eating at a resturant. Its a nice habit, that I hope my own family may one day adopt.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,166 times
I believe, and correct if I am wrong but Wheaton has the highest number of churches per capita in the world! Beautiful downtown, two great high schools, and Wheaton(Texas) College I say Texas because i swear half the kids are from that state. People refer to the college as Harvard of Christian Schools. But they suck at tennis! Go Bluejays!

Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,163 times
Yes, the last I heard Wheaton has 46 churches - the highest per capita in the US. Wheaton College also has a lot of kids from the New England area and Florida.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Guys, this thread is 7 months old....

Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 32,407 times
Default Still here, still undecided

Thanks to everyone for your posts, I appreciate it. I know this is an old thread, however we still haven't decided, so still mulling the whole thing over with regard to long-term fit, etc. Saw the recent activity, so decided to give an update.
We have recently moved to Wheaton and are renting for now. So far, so good. Great town, good schools, good parks and facilities, well-connected transportation-wise, lots for families to do, and friendly people. As for my initial question about the conservative aspect that is associated with the town (and I am not saying this is a bad thing, just trying to gauge the fit for us): Politically, I have noticed campaign posters for both major party candidates, and there seems to be a little bit of a mix (dem/rep) in the discussion at a local level. Does seems to lean right, as many have said on this thread, but not completely so--just my sense so far, and I know that's a relative thing. On the religious side (again, not a bad thing, just trying to get the perspective), I do sense the religious feel associated with the town, but it's not anything extreme that leaves you feeling isolated if you're not religious. People really just doing their own thing, religious/non religious, political/non-political, at least that's my impression so far. We're going to give it some more time to settle in as we're still new to the place.
Thanks again for your posts they've been very helpful.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default VERY accurate description, much appreciated!

I think there is a tendency for people to forget that the world has changed alot since Wheaton and other towns were founded. Many of those churches are probably serving folks that lived overseas just a short time ago. The political affiliation of some church that is now serving folks from Cambodia or Korea is a mystery to me. Just the other day I saw a church that at one time was Baptist/Evangelical had been converted to some Muslim denomination. There was nice looking fella wearing some religious garb mowing the lawn in the heat the other day. No idea if he is "liberal" or conservative, nor do I care, as long the congregation takes care of the place...

That is attitude you are going to find in pretty much all of the Chicago region!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel3 View Post
Thanks to everyone for your posts, I appreciate it. I know this is an old thread, however we still haven't decided, so still mulling the whole thing over with regard to long-term fit, etc. Saw the recent activity, so decided to give an update.
We have recently moved to Wheaton and are renting for now. So far, so good. Great town, good schools, good parks and facilities, well-connected transportation-wise, lots for families to do, and friendly people. As for my initial question about the conservative aspect that is associated with the town (and I am not saying this is a bad thing, just trying to gauge the fit for us): Politically, I have noticed campaign posters for both major party candidates, and there seems to be a little bit of a mix (dem/rep) in the discussion at a local level. Does seems to lean right, as many have said on this thread, but not completely so--just my sense so far, and I know that's a relative thing. On the religious side (again, not a bad thing, just trying to get the perspective), I do sense the religious feel associated with the town, but it's not anything extreme that leaves you feeling isolated if you're not religious. People really just doing their own thing, religious/non religious, political/non-political, at least that's my impression so far. We're going to give it some more time to settle in as we're still new to the place.
Thanks again for your posts they've been very helpful.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 AM

177 posts, read 543,669 times
who cares if it's conservative. I think the political leanings of a town is a dumb reason to not move there (given everything else is great).

Expand yourself.

I'm moving to Evanston and i'm a libertarian!!!

see it as a way to have fun by pissing people off.

Anyway, I've realized that many Americans are libertarian, and don't even know it. (Socially liberal, fiscally conservative). It's my mission to help people realize they are libertarians... then we can move to rid this country of democrats and republicans.

Collectivism = suxorz

Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM

338 posts, read 616,722 times
Default Conservative??? I'm Thrilled!

The major reason I'm looking to buy in Wheaton is because it IS conservative. As a life long resident of Crook County, I appreciate fiscal responsibility free from politically correct and wasteful public spending. I look forward to living in an area where people don't smirk when you pray over a meal in a local restaurant with your kids.

It frankly sounds like paradise to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs