Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 17,051 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I suspect this question has been asked many times before, but i thought I would get real specific with my needs. I just found out I might be moving to the area. I will work from home, with the occasional trip to Schaumburg. My wife will stay home (And we want to be with other one income families), and we can't spend more then $500,000.

I need at 4 bedrooms and a garage, and I really like the idea of a town center outside of Chicago. I grew up urban, but I am unafraid to say I have embraced Costco, Depot and kids concerts with kick ass strollers.

Can anyone throw out some idea's as to where to start my search? I have hear Arlington heights, naperville, wheaton, but I would love to get more scoop. Looks like the northern suburbs by the lake are out.

I have a fair amount of flexibility with the commute, so I am more interested in a great kid friendly family vibe, as opposed to being close to the Metra (I assume thats Metro in DC speak)

Thanks in advance to all who can help.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
Just a terminology difference, Metra means Metra train, which takes the suburban commuters to the city for work. Metra - Welcome to Metra But seriously, I think Naperville might be a good fit. You can get a very nice home for $500K. Costco is there, along with all the other big box stores, and it has the most charming downtown area that gives a "city feel" in the middle of suburbia. And this is a very family friendly area with good schools.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:27 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like Arlington Heights and Napersville get lot of support on this board. I am a little stuck, as working from home requires a little more house that tends to push us further from the city. (stuck in a good way, but it has forced me to embrace the ex-burbs and all they have to offer). Did you know if your the first to Costco, you get cookies and coffee (At least I did in Maryland). I used to battle it out with the AARP crowd for the oatmeal.

The Chicago area seems pretty unique in that the surrounding towns seem to have a ton to offer. Downtowns and parks and places to stroll with the kids. Chicago looks great, but with 2 kids and one on the way, those days are on hold for a while. That said, We will be huge Zoo fans, and plan to exploit Chicago on weekends.

I need to be an hour from Chicago (non rush hour) and I want happening neighborhoods that are not over run with nannies and all day day care. Nothing against that, but we are giving up significant earnings to have my wife stay home, and I want to be in a place where play can happen without too much scheduling and indoor (as much as CHI will allow) planned play Chucky cheese stuff.

I want Mayberry near Chicago for under 500. Not much, right?

I love golf, fishing, surfing, and bicycles. If I can find 1 out of three, I'll be great. We will only be around for 3-5 years, and we tend to make friends pretty easily, though I find getting t he right neighborhood/street can make all the difference

Any other spots I need to add to my list? (Napersville, Arlington Heights)

Old 10-13-2007, 09:19 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
So many to choose from,,so check out the usual favorites that are very much in demand with families. St Charles/Geneva , Glen Ellyn/wheaton, Elmhurst,Arlington Hts,(you already mentioned Naperville which is the largest,busiest of these)all of these sought after with great schools,parks, nice vibrant "downtown" areas and metra trains to the city. The commute by train is a breeze and car commute to the city is certainly under an hr ( providing there are not snow storms or traffic accidents) Please visit these burbs when you come ( all an easy drive to each other,,A Hts a little further from the others) I am sure you will find one (or probably more then one)that "fits" your family. Good luck with your move (and baby) and welcome

Old 10-13-2007, 09:23 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd2121 View Post
Hi,

I suspect this question has been asked many times before, but i thought I would get real specific with my needs. I just found out I might be moving to the area. I will work from home, with the occasional trip to Schaumburg. My wife will stay home (And we want to be with other one income families), and we can't spend more then $500,000.

I need at 4 bedrooms and a garage, and I really like the idea of a town center outside of Chicago. I grew up urban, but I am unafraid to say I have embraced Costco, Depot and kids concerts with kick ass strollers.

Can anyone throw out some idea's as to where to start my search? I have hear Arlington heights, naperville, wheaton, but I would love to get more scoop. Looks like the northern suburbs by the lake are out.

I have a fair amount of flexibility with the commute, so I am more interested in a great kid friendly family vibe, as opposed to being close to the Metra (I assume thats Metro in DC speak)

Thanks in advance to all who can help.

Chris
Since you have "a fair amount of flexibility with the commute" look to Nebraska. You could live in a mansion with money left over for $500k.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 AM

intriguing idea Dave, though when I hear mansion I think of staff and grounds. You sure your not talking about a McMansion? God knows the world needs more of those. With that kind of flex I would get back to the Chesapeake where I belong.

My "commute" will be trips to Champagne, Milwaukee and Shaumburg, so I really do have the luxury of skipping rush into the city. I also figure if I give up great access to the trains, I might save a bit more. Of course I need to keep resale in mind, so I suspect I will be chasing the same list as every other family out there.

I am driving up from Louisville on Monday, interview on Tuesday and drive back on Tuesday afternoon. I will mapquest a route that takes me through some of the western burbs mentioned above. Last time we moved, we had a weekend to find a place. We got really lucky, but I need to put more homework into this one. Sounds like the school situation Have a ton of great option (Just not the case in KY, and a huge reason for the move).

Thank you all for your help. I must admit I am impressed with the speed and quality of the responses here. A friend suggested I consider just over the line in Wisconsin (He knows I love to boat), but I think that would miss the appeal of living in Chicago. I will say, this is the first place that might just keep us (If all the hype I have heard form family and friends is true). How is the surf in the lake. really

I have spoken to several friends about this potential move, and thay all have an amazingly consistent refrain. They say Chicago might be the best city in the country for kids. Maybe I have had my head in the sand, but that surprises me. In a good way, but just not what I expected to hear. Maybe those long cold winters produce serious upside come the following fall.

Last edited by cjd2121; 10-13-2007 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: addition info

Old 10-13-2007, 10:27 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,155 times
I'd also recommend the St. Charles/Geneva area. It's great here and not too far from the highways to get to the areas you need to go to.....

Old 10-13-2007, 10:34 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
I have to agree with what you heard, its one of the best for kids. The schools in many areas are very good and the culture, museums,sports,events in the city are a fun train ride away. And most kids love snow, my son thinks a "snow day" is God answering his prayers. The surf in Lake M is sometimes mean,sometimes a pussycat. If you like boating, Lake Geneva Wisc is a close drive (also a cute popular town) We used to boat up at the Door County Wisc penninsula,fabuous for boating and week end get away (3 1/2-4 hrs) The "Chain o Lakes" is close,but not my cup of tea,,THOUSANDS seem to like it and flock there summer,,think beer/boats/broads crowd Again,Good Luck , its no fun to move,but lots of nice places to call home

Old 10-13-2007, 10:55 AM

I probably ought to get the job first, but thanks again to all. I look forward to dusting of the rods and reels (Bass from a parker cc never caught my fancy) and if the boat still runs after its three year nap, I'll be pretty pumped.

I really think I have a great list, so I have some initial spots to check. i find a day or two of driving and coffee can narrow down the neighborhoods, then the right Realtor and we are on our way. It always helps to randomly chat with people in the area's you like, but this board is not a bad second option...

One other question. I have been able to find sights on other towns where I lived (Seattle/Philly/DC) that kind of listed each hood, and had a paragraph talking about the vibe in each. While I don't doubt all of that info is on this board, has anyone actually seen a site like that? I know its crazy subjective, but its a great way to catch on to reoccurring themes.

If anyone is familiar with Maryland, I think the following applies.
I love the eastern/western shore, but I am looking for Severna Park over Annapolis. -Less glitter, more down to earth, and oh yeah actually affordable. Down to earth families who still think college is a must, but that a ten year old car is not a source of shame, but maybe a sign of priorities.

Oh yeah, I hate paying for storage. If I keep a boat in my driveway in most of the above neighborhoods will I be the bane of the neighborhood watch? I will respect the vibe, but am pretty bummed by wack jobs and the lawn police (I cut every week, but do we really need to edge 3 inch moats around the walks).

Old 10-13-2007, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,425 times
Arlington Heights would be a good choice. If you can invest some time and a little fix-up money, you can get a lot of space in some of the existing housing in Palatine. Downtown Palatine is undergoing a lot of rebuilding with mixed condo/business construction. Metra stop is right in town as well as new water park. Good luck in your hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs