Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl. View Post
hi tcs, we are going to see a lot of people leaving this state. when are the people going to wake up? I lived here all my life and was always glad to come home to Chicago. ( born on Dickens and Drake) no matter where we move to will be 100% better than this state! good luck and see ya on the road out.
Just because you still live here does not mean that you have to post here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 AM

115 posts, read 174,511 times
Wherever you run off to, you'll always run into yourself. Good luck

Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
hey plates, bet your a democrap, right?
What does that have to do with anything? Even if he is, so what? Your posts are bitter. Again, this is a forum meant to foster discussion, not a venting board.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Default Is there an FAQ on how to contribute to a discussion instead of just venting?

Quote:
hey cub guy, you don't like it? I am just stating my opinions. and stop the stupid I-c0ns
How you state your opinions makes the difference between being considered someone who is here just to vent or even a troll versus someone who contributes to the discussions and even earns rep points.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
whats a troll ?
Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet slang, a troll ( /ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,128 times
Quote:
hey plates, bet your a democrap, right?
you're*

Quote:
whats a troll ?
You.

You have been reported for T.O.S. violations.

Also, try using proper grammar.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Real? OK here is a real question: so where ya relocating to? As I mentioned in previous posts there are better places from a COL, taxation, employment and quality of schools stand point. There are also many that are worse. Much of this has to do with personal preferences and personal situations.
So here is another chance to engage in a discussion instead of barbed wire one-liners. Many of us have traveled elsewhere and may have even looked into relocating elsewhere but decided to stay here. So, where are you relocating to?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
hey cubs, whats right with this state? high taxes, corrupt politicians, you tell me why anyone would be proud to say I am from il. I have also been around our country, even a few countries while in the Marines. this state is ranked 49th or 50 in worst state to live in. I guess I reached the point in my 60 years of breathing that nothing will change things here. sorry you and that plates got upset, but in the words of Davy Crocket " you all can go to hell! I am going to Texas" good luck cubs, you seem o.k.
We looked at relocating to Texas in 2008. My wife spent 15 years there and really liked Austin. Looked at Dallas and Houston because of job leads but they never came through. COL and taxes are better in TX. I think the politics are more balanced than IL. What I don't like is the sprawl, the we don't need public transit because we will build a 12 lane road instead mentality, the oppressively hot summers and it seems a lot less friendly to cyclists although they have a huge # of cycling clubs. In Dallas I was reminded of the old Wendy's commercial where I kept asking, "Where's the trees?" and Houston's humidity was a factor. If I am lucky enough to have the resources, I would consider living in TX for my "snowbird" dream. I would find a place in Lake Co or stay here for the summers and falls. Maybe live in WI if the tax issues make WI a better option (which I don't see right now)

Aside from the politicians, I have lots of friends and family here and most of my clients are pretty decent folk as well. I'm heading on a trip to So. IL and the people down there are real "salt of the earth".

I think I made a pretty good case for the greenery, forest preserves and, especially in far NW Cook, Lake and McHenry, the beauty of the area. Not every Metro area has so much open space and forest preserves. Parts of Texas are pretty, but parts are also pretty desolate and arid. Then there is East TX-gorgeous Piney Woods, but more humid. Reminds me of my 8 months in LaGrange GA-real pretty surroundings.

And as my Mom used to say, and thankfully it is still primarily true for me, my family and friends:"IF you can't find work in Chicago, you can't find work anywhere" Not as true as it used to be, and no doubt the politicians are doing their best to screw it up, but it still has a lot of validity.

I'm glad you included your age and status as a former Marine. Thanks for serving our country! You probably have little to no patience with being politically correct and now I know it's a style and semantics issue and not a troll issue.

Where in TX you moving to?
Hope you will come back and post after you're down there and share what you you better there and what you miss from here. I usually learn something from posts like that.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Left for sunny Florida a year ago. Best thing I ever did. ;-)

Old 12-09-2012, 01:23 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I lived in Florida in the 70s when a "right to work" job meant barely over $2 per hour w/o pension for a experienced printer/pressman in a midnight shift management position. Same printer was making $20 in Chicago. It was a very short trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs