Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 11:28 AM

92 posts, read 310,413 times

Advertisements

I live in Bloomington, IN and, after enjoying a succesful time here as a student at IU and four years of teaching in Bloomington, my friends who live in downtown Chicago are begging me to join the club and move there as well. If I did, I would want to secure a teaching position that pays enough to have a modest, but not poverty-stricken lifestyle. Thus, from my research, the only option is to search for high school teaching positions outside in Cook and Lake counties.

I've heard time and again that is impossible. Is it? I have teaching certification in English, speech, theatre, psychology, history, social sciences, and more for grades 5-12. I have won teaching awards and have earned other recognitions, which I hope will help my resume stand out over the other 1,000 applicants for a high school teaching job "in the burbs" - nonetheless, what are your predictions?

If I were to land a job in a "north shore" or suburb school, is it foolish to rent in the city? My friends who graduated from New Trier, Niles, and Lake Forest said most of their teachers lived in the city and took the Metra to school...thoughts about this?

Perhaps it's too idyllic to expect an urban living experience in a great city such as Chicago while working in a school district that pays enough to cover the rent and have some extra money left over (i'm not interested in buying...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:39 PM

474 posts, read 2,533,676 times
Default Would You Graciously Permit My Negative Response?

Dear Friend:

The lack of teaching positions in the entire Chicago area really have nothing to do with anyone's credentials. The Chicago area is already past that. No doubt, you have excellent credentials as you have recited. But nobody (schools) are seriously accepting applications. Why is that so? Because when previous school teachers find a decent teaching position, then they hang onto it for a lifetime. Very few schools generate new / extra teaching positions because of the local property tax problems in many towns. The property taxes are already maxed out and people are becoming quite angry over the high taxes.
And many of these permanent school teachers are of a different generation. And so their ideals are somewhat different than the younger college graduate potential candidates.
On the flip side, there are a few school teaching positions that nobody wants. That's because a particular school in that class is in a very dangerous neighborhood. Usually in the City of Chicago. So everyone wants the same thing including yourself. And because of this, for the most part, nobody is leaving their teaching positions that are good ones. I am sorry to have to be negative but this is what is happening.

Carter Glass

Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,495,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
Dear Friend:

The lack of teaching positions in the entire Chicago area really have nothing to do with anyone's credentials. The Chicago area is already past that. No doubt, you have excellent credentials as you have recited. But nobody (schools) are seriously accepting applications. Why is that so? Because when previous school teachers find a decent teaching position, then they hang onto it for a lifetime. Very few schools generate new / extra teaching positions because of the local property tax problems in many towns. The property taxes are already maxed out and people are becoming quite angry over the high taxes.
And many of these permanent school teachers are of a different generation. And so their ideals are somewhat different than the younger college graduate potential candidates.
On the flip side, there are a few school teaching positions that nobody wants. That's because a particular school in that class is in a very dangerous neighborhood. Usually in the City of Chicago. So everyone wants the same thing including yourself. And because of this, for the most part, nobody is leaving their teaching positions that are good ones. I am sorry to have to be negative but this is what is happening.

Carter Glass

This is so true. I was surprised when my neighbor's kids who are going to the same h.s. I went to years upon years ago were telling me about their teachers and how great they are, then they would go on to name them and I REMEMBER HAVING THE SAME TEACHERS over 15 years ago! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs