U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 PM

207 posts, read 513,058 times

Advertisements

[quote=supportyourschools;27205985]To the OP:
For test schools that the teachers and state actually use, look at the Illinois Interactive Report Card IIRC: Home
In general, the Aurora East District 131 is dealing with a lot of kids who don't speak English as their first language, and a lot of kids who are living at or below the poverty line. The Aurora West District 129 does deal with the same issues, but on a smaller scale. In general, the West Aurora schools (district 129) score better than the East Aurora schools (district 131), with Indian Prairie schools (district 204) scoring the best of the 3 Aurora districts.
[quote]

I do use that; I meant was Test scores; how do each compare (ex; Is West a Harvard compared to East)

But on the scale of 1-10; how much of the East District is an immigrant/from immigrant parents and/or is LEP (Limited English Proficent)

Last edited by BrendanRabbitt; 12-04-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisub View Post
Here's a general idea, some of the rankings are subjective, but the test scores and some other stats are there: School Comparison Overview | GreatSchools

There is West Aurora H.S. and then there is the West part of Aurora that feeds into district 204.

Any clue what kind of budget your parents are working with? What type of home?

I live on the border of Naperville with my kids and it's typical suburbia. As you go East there are some really run down areas (I used to live in Bed Stuy Brooklyn and it looked nicer there), but there are also some nice older homes and neighborhoods. Simply put, I would never send my kids to E. Aurora schools when there are other options available.
I thought you'd be going west
But anyway; using the thing about Bed-Stuy; is that implying that White People aren't really welcome on the East Side (Not mad, just curious based on your wording)

Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM

169 posts, read 459,947 times
I honestly don't know, so I can't answer to that. I was actually just talking about buildings and how worn down the area was in comparison to some rougher areas of NYC. In my experience there is always some push back whenever you are a minority, but it's typically a handful of jerks that do most of the heavy lifting there! Of course I was a white girl in my early 20s when I lived/worked in these areas vs a teenager dealing with the oh so fun dynamics of high school peers.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisub View Post
I honestly don't know, so I can't answer to that. I was actually just talking about buildings and how worn down the area was in comparison to some rougher areas of NYC. In my experience there is always some push back whenever you are a minority, but it's typically a handful of jerks that do most of the heavy lifting there! Of course I was a white girl in my early 20s when I lived/worked in these areas vs a teenager dealing with the oh so fun dynamics of high school peers.
Oh man; that must've been the worst.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 PM

169 posts, read 459,947 times
Ha, I was thinking the opposite, people pretty much left me alone! The guys that I lived with got more crap.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 PM

193 posts, read 295,267 times
In general, in dangerous areas in Chicagoland which predominantly consist of one demographic group, you may encounter problems if you are not yourself a member of that group.

FWIW, the girl I knew who was repeatedly beat up at East Aurora HS was Caucasian.

You will find a dramatically higher quality of life and dramatically better schools a few miles away going in any direction.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
In general, in dangerous areas in Chicagoland which predominantly consist of one demographic group, you may encounter problems if you are not yourself a member of that group.

FWIW, the girl I knew who was repeatedly beat up at East Aurora HS was Caucasian.

You will find a dramatically higher quality of life and dramatically better schools a few miles away going in any direction.
So, I may want to avoid it like it's a zombie? I have friends there (3 Mexican, 1 Liberian) they've told me they tend to see 2-4 whites kids a day at the max, and I'm white

Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM

So i'm getting vibes from this that If I go to East as a white kid with glasses (who keeps his mouth shut), I will get the crap beaten out of me everyday

Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 AM

193 posts, read 295,267 times
This is an extremely high risk environment for violence for someone like you.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
Default Who knows...

...might be a great character builder. Isn't that pretty much Howard Stern's story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanRabbitt View Post
So i'm getting vibes from this that If I go to East as a white kid with glasses (who keeps his mouth shut), I will get the crap beaten out of me everyday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or