U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM

207 posts, read 512,849 times

Advertisements

What's the difference between each sides of town.
I do know East High School is something like 83% Hispanic though and so's the district.
What's the difference in Schools (Test scores, Enviornment) and the neighborhood enviornment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM

169 posts, read 459,870 times
Here's a general idea, some of the rankings are subjective, but the test scores and some other stats are there: School Comparison Overview | GreatSchools

There is West Aurora H.S. and then there is the West part of Aurora that feeds into district 204.

Any clue what kind of budget your parents are working with? What type of home?

I live on the border of Naperville with my kids and it's typical suburbia. As you go East there are some really run down areas (I used to live in Bed Stuy Brooklyn and it looked nicer there), but there are also some nice older homes and neighborhoods. Simply put, I would never send my kids to E. Aurora schools when there are other options available.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM

193 posts, read 295,191 times
The west side of Aurora is a decent, mostly working-class, mostly blue-collar area. It's not a ghetto, but it's not entirely safe either. One of my friends moved there and heard his first gunshot within days.

The part of the east side of Aurora which is in Kane County is a disadvantaged area. It has serious problems with crime, gangs and drugs.

When people talk about the east side of Aurora, they're usually implicitly excluding the parts which are far enough east to be in DuPage County. The DuPage County sections offer modern, suburban-style housing. They have more in common with Naperville, the well-off suburb just east of Aurora, than they do with the urban parts of Aurora.

You can find out the average ACT scores for any school, along with other test scores, via the Internet. City-Data itself has performance data about schools. Additionally, most high schools have a Wikipedia page which provides basic information about the school and often lists the average ACT score. There are also websites where people review and comment on their schools. Look for patterns in the comments. If several people mention the same problem, it's likely that there really is a problem. You want to weed out the schools that look good on paper but aren't good environments.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM

247 posts, read 541,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisub View Post
Here's a general idea, some of the rankings are subjective, but the test scores and some other stats are there: School Comparison Overview | GreatSchools

There is West Aurora H.S. and then there is the West part of Aurora that feeds into district 204.

Any clue what kind of budget your parents are working with? What type of home?

I live on the border of Naperville with my kids and it's typical suburbia. As you go East there are some really run down areas (I used to live in Bed Stuy Brooklyn and it looked nicer there), but there are also some nice older homes and neighborhoods. Simply put, I would never send my kids to E. Aurora schools when there are other options available.
I'm a little confused on your directions, chisub. The west part of Aurora does not feed into district 204. The far east side of Aurora feeds into district 204. If you live in Aurora on the border of Naperville and go east, then you will be heading into Naperville. If you go west, then you'll be heading into the east side/downtown Aurora.

To the OP:
For test schools that the teachers and state actually use, look at the Illinois Interactive Report Card IIRC: Home
In general, the Aurora East District 131 is dealing with a lot of kids who don't speak English as their first language, and a lot of kids who are living at or below the poverty line. The Aurora West District 129 does deal with the same issues, but on a smaller scale. In general, the West Aurora schools (district 129) score better than the East Aurora schools (district 131), with Indian Prairie schools (district 204) scoring the best of the 3 Aurora districts.

As far as neighborhood goes, the closer you are to downtown, on either side of the Fox River, the rougher the neighborhood. Far east Aurora looks pretty much the same as far west Naperville (with which it shares a border). The neighborhood around Aurora University is nice, as are most of the far west side neighborhoods. There are also some very nice historic areas on the east side of Aurora, but one of the biggest drawbacks is the poor quality of the east side schools.

Last edited by supportyourschools; 12-04-2012 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: added more info

Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
The west side Aurora is rather nice. I do not think it is accurate to portray it is as having much in common with the portion of Aurora served by Aurora East High School / district 131. It is not particularly "blue collar / working class" nor plagued by the kind of underclass issues that dog the east Aurora portion; in fact with lots of well paid professionals employed at the Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center ( Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center ) a large medical campus http://goo.gl/maps/cKkmH and major offices for both Farmer's Insurance and MetLife it is fair to say white collar employment is a major part of Aurora's economy...

Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM

@chisub: Bed-Stuy is an example of why you can't always assess safety just by looking at a neighborhood. It's a visually appealing neighborhood with beautiful historic homes. At the same time, it's quite unsafe. I used to live in South Williamsburg, which is adjacent to Bed-Stuy. South Williamsburg looks run-down and has unappealing buildings for the most part. While it is unsafe, it's less unsafe than Bed-Stuy.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 PM

169 posts, read 459,870 times
LOL, pre-second coffee directions there. Yep, I live on the far East side of Aurora, directly bordering Naperville. Is it Friday yet?

IAmEverwhere: I agree that you can't always judge a book by its cover, but parts of Aurora are some of the most run down areas I have ever seen and I worked as a social worker visiting NYCHA housing and the like. Granted, these may just be pockets that I drive through to get to downtown Aurora.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,302,605 times
East side is more ghetto and has more issues with violence. West side is nicer and includes Fox Valley and tends to have less issues. Not sure about test scores.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
The term "Fox Valley" is often VERY confusing as that is the name given to the large regional mall at New York Ave and Rt 59 even that is MILES east of the Fox River. In a general sense the Illinois portion of the Fox River Valley runs from about Johnsburg through McHenry, Cary, Algonquin, Elgin, St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, Aurora, Oswego, Yorkville and down to Ottawa. In a broad sense towns to the west like Sugar Grove, Plano, and Sandwich are often lumped in as part of the Fox River Valley. The technical district boundary for district 131 is largely the east side of the river but is some cases it includes some of the island in the Fox and even the west bank -- http://goo.gl/RnByb btw While I am not a huge fan of SchoolDigger.com's rankings they peg East pretty near the bottom of all 775 districts in Illinois ar 765th while West is far less freigthening at 678th. For perspective Batavia is 187st, St. Charles is 133 and Geneva is 62nd...

Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM

@chet everett: That may be. But there are also quite a few factories and other blue-collar businesses. It may be more accurate to characterize the west side as being a mix of white-collar and blue-collar.

@chisub: I've also worked in some of the most disadvantaged areas in NYC. And actually, I agree with you that the Kane County section of the east side of Aurora compares poorly to even the worst parts of NYC.

@mattywo85: Fox Valley Mall is on the extreme eastern edge of Aurora, in the part of the city which is in DuPage County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or