Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM

207 posts, read 702,375 times

Advertisements

Back in the 70s til maybe the 80s, Jack in The Box was all over Chicago and the metro. It suddenly closed, and hasn't been back. Could it ever make a return
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Not likely. Too much competition. There has always been McDonalds BK and Wendy's. Now upstart Five Guys, Steak and Shake making inroads.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM

207 posts, read 702,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Not likely. Too much competition. There has always been McDonalds BK and Wendy's. Now upstart Five Guys, Steak and Shake making inroads.
Would you know how long White Castle has been in the Metro?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
Jack will probably not be back. He has moved on to warmer climate. (Phoenix) They are all over the place and building more as we speak.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM

115 posts, read 174,511 times
I'm thinking McDonald's has some type of advantage, with them being HQ-ed in the Chicago area, that drove Jack In the Box out of town. I'd rather stop at McD's and Taco Bell, than go to a lower-rate fast food joint.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanRabbitt View Post
Would you know how long White Castle has been in the Metro?
I'm guessing here but my husband is a 1969 grad of Bogan HS and they were already in Chicago at that time.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
JIB is expanding downstate in Champaign/Urbana. It is also moving into the Indianapolis and Cincinnati markets. Most people are aware that they never left the St. Louis metro area either, and they have a presence currently on the Illinois portion of that metro area. Their website also shows growth plans for Omaha, Kansas City and Wichita in the Midwest. It doesn't seem like a ar fetched idea to eventually continue growing northward.

Hey, Chick-Fil-A is making it into the market, I dont see why JIB won't. They are one ring above McDonald's in quality of their food, but also a little bit more expensive. But they also have a prety diverse menu for fast food, so I have a feeling they would do fine in Chicagoland again and will eventually be back.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I dunno lots of Birger Kings have shut down near me. Culver's is aggressively expanding. Lots of good locals too, many who cater to the exploding Latino population. Tough market, and the lunacy of alderman butting into every aspect of some businesses are all reasons to think this region is not really a recipe for success

Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 AM

6 posts, read 21,878 times
they dont have any jack in the boxes in all of chicago?? thats weird i thought they were nationwide... altho i suppose things like that happen i mean i never even heard of white castle until that movie came out, i've lived in northern california my whole life, we just dont have them here i guess, i have yet to see any or go to any, we have a place called In N' Out Burger out here and if u havent been there put that near the top of your list if u ever visit here they have some good burgers there and a whole 50's theme goin on (but not as corny as johnny rockets lol no dancing here lol) ... and chic-a-fillet?? ive heard of it, never seen one ever tho, we gotta chicken place out here called el pollo loco, man oh man is their chicken good, flamed broiled with citrus flavor, ahh mouth watering mmm haha i sound like a fat guy (im not) and also we have a sandwich place out here called togos, WAAYYY better than subway by miles!! subway aint got nothin on togos, put that on the top of your list of places to eat while out here, the best sandwiches outside of a deli, i had one the other night that wasnt that good but thats because some dumb blonde messed up the order lol but all is forgiven so recap, i have a JITB, El Pollo Loco (bomb), Togos (also bomb) and In N' Out Burger all within walking distance from my house (well except in n out which is near the freeway), ahh life is good lol ... sorry for the BOOK i wrote here, guess i was just in a typing mood

Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
In N' Out has also expanded to Texas and other SW states. I think some DunkinDonuts / Baskin Robbins have Togos. They did not impress me, but that might be a function of the donut oriented setting. Pollo Loco might be expanding. There are also a couple of Mediterranean / Middle East places attempting to expand -Roti has some the investors / brain trust from the prior that Chipolte was part of McDonanlds, though honestly they've got nothing over the little places run by guys with experince in Palestine or similar places. Those immigrant run places have home cooking reciepes and a work ethic that you can't get from a chain employee or even franchise investor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs