Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
As James T Harris said: "It's the culture stupid". I am willing to bet that most of the people in that video don't even think their behavior is a big deal and they don't see anything wrong with it. I am a big fan of city living whether it's Chicago or Milwaukee or any big city but as I grow older I can now see why people move to the suburbs.
The places being discussed are suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM

145 posts, read 388,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Come on, now. It's no secret that things like that happen in Da Heights. But that's not the entire question.

BTW: 17th Street is almost entirely on the East Side. This is the worst part of town and not actually representative of the entire town.

Chicago Heights is crawling with cops around Saint James and Prairie State. But they're nowhere to be found here, huh?
this was filmed in the beacon hill area

Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
this was filmed in the beacon hill area
That's not too surprising either. I'm glad they stayed off Beacon Boulevard.

The houses don't look like Beacon Hill to me (they look uniform). But I don't drive down 17th.. I know how to get to my friend's house from Western Avenue, from Chicago Road and from Lincoln Highway but I never drive down 17th. I've never even seen that dome before..

My criticism of the Chicago Heights PD absolutely applies to Beacon Hill as well.

Last edited by urza216; 01-02-2013 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
The places being discussed are suburbs.
I know what you mean, what I meant was like a traditional suburb like a barrington hills , while suburbs like Cicero, elmwood park, blue island are technically burbs but they aren't like what people think of in a suburban environment and do most people really consider them suburbs or is it like yeah your in the suburbs but you're basically still in the city.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean, what I meant was like a traditional suburb like a barrington hills , while suburbs like Cicero, elmwood park, blue island are technically burbs but they aren't like what people think of in a suburban environment and do most people really consider them suburbs or is it like yeah your in the suburbs but you're basically still in the city.
No. Chicago Heights is definitely not the city, metaphorically or literally. It's a good hour from downtown. It's more likely to be called "downstate" than "basically still the city".

Even Harvey is like 159th and Halsted. The city limits don't extend too far past 119th on Halsted. Definitely not the city. 159th also goes through Tinley Park.

NOT A SINGLE ONE of the south suburbs east of I-57 are anything like Barrington Hills. Sorry.

I'll take it as a compliment - suggesting that south suburbs are more like the city. By and large, they're actually less developed than the north and west burbs.

Last edited by urza216; 01-03-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
What makes Barrington Hills more "traditional" than Chicago Heights? It sounds to me like you're trying to avoid saying "White suburb" or "affluent suburb."

As urza pointed out, nobody would consider Chicago Heights to be "basically still in the city." It's as far from the Loop as Gary, Naperville, or Lake Forest.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
It's stupidity like that that makes people not want to live in that city in general. At least if they were people who didn't want their kids to grow up in an environment like that, they wouldn't want to live there. Unfortunately, a lot of the south suburbs are lumped into groups like that. IMO, Park Forest and Matteson are still pretty nice places to live. They're reasonably priced, crime is relatively low as well.

What that video needed was someone with a 12 gauge to scatter the crowd. How can any responsible adult not only egg it on but also video tape it? Just disgusting. You don't hear too much about things like this happening outside of the black community. Does it happen in other communities? Maybe but we sure don't hear about it as much.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
there are plenty of heavily black areas right here in the south suburbs where this s*** doesn't happen. And if it did, the police would be on the scene.
I agree with you. But, in this case, where is Five-Oh? No wonder violent offenders have a disregard for the law. Obviously [in some cases] they don't have to answer to nobody.

Either they don't know...don't show...or don't care about what's goin' on in the 'hood ~ Doughboy

Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Default So what's a good area?

I saw this thread, and I'm thinking of taking a good position that would be in Chicago Heights.

I grew up in a small rural town of 800 people. I was so isolated from diversity that I didn't even understand racial jokes because I didn't even know how many races there were.

I lived in Chicago for about 11 years while going to DePaul and tried to stay in the up and coming neighborhoods near the El and then eventually settling in Humboldt Park. Honestly, I really liked that area at the time. There were gangs, totally wacked family situations, the occasssional gunshot and I wasn't the same race as most of my neighbors, but that didn't stop me from meeting some cool people in the neighborhood.

Now I'm married and in San Jose. Wife is asian, I'm white. When I go trick or treating with my daughter, I know that I'm one of 2 households on the block that has a white person in the family. Most of the area is asian and the neighborhood is affluent, but probably 1/3 of the garages have families in them as well. It's very safe here, but it definitely takes time for the neighbors to trust each other if races are different. The schools are good.

Now, we can pretend race doesn't matter and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does, but it's not bad. But sometimes, it matters a lot and you really shouldn't make a mistake. There was a time, not so long ago, that Ukranians stayed on one side of Western Ave and the Polish stayed on the other...forget that they're both white. That same area today has Puerto Ricans and Ukranians and everyone gets along.

So if I'm looking for a safe neighborhood that has a healthy diversity, decent schools, low crime and a good outlook, can one be found in Chicago Heights? Is there a park I can take my little one to that doesn't have an army of homeless drug addicts? I'm sure there are bad ones, but are there good areas?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I saw this thread, and I'm thinking of taking a good position that would be in Chicago Heights.

I grew up in a small rural town of 800 people. I was so isolated from diversity that I didn't even understand racial jokes because I didn't even know how many races there were.

I lived in Chicago for about 11 years while going to DePaul and tried to stay in the up and coming neighborhoods near the El and then eventually settling in Humboldt Park. Honestly, I really liked that area at the time. There were gangs, totally wacked family situations, the occasssional gunshot and I wasn't the same race as most of my neighbors, but that didn't stop me from meeting some cool people in the neighborhood.

Now I'm married and in San Jose. Wife is asian, I'm white. When I go trick or treating with my daughter, I know that I'm one of 2 households on the block that has a white person in the family. Most of the area is asian and the neighborhood is affluent, but probably 1/3 of the garages have families in them as well. It's very safe here, but it definitely takes time for the neighbors to trust each other if races are different. The schools are good.

Now, we can pretend race doesn't matter and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does, but it's not bad. But sometimes, it matters a lot and you really shouldn't make a mistake. There was a time, not so long ago, that Ukranians stayed on one side of Western Ave and the Polish stayed on the other...forget that they're both white. That same area today has Puerto Ricans and Ukranians and everyone gets along.

So if I'm looking for a safe neighborhood that has a healthy diversity, decent schools, low crime and a good outlook, can one be found in Chicago Heights? Is there a park I can take my little one to that doesn't have an army of homeless drug addicts? I'm sure there are bad ones, but are there good areas?
Most of the people who work in Chicago Heights don't live in Chicago Heights, anyway.

Yes, you can though. The rule of thumb when home-buying in the Heights is to look north of Lincoln Highway and west of Halsted. The area north of Vollmer and west of Chicago Road is the "nice" part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs