U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:59 PM

23 posts, read 75,884 times

Advertisements

Thanks Folks!

I will work downtown Chicago and he will work in Aurora, so the midway point is what we are looking at this point, maybe a bit closer to the city since I will be moving to Chicago because of his job ....
Hinsdale, Western Springs and LaGrange sounds interesting- What do you view to be the crime level in those areas? I did a few searches and it seemed to reflect that La Grange was pretty shady in some areas. I would like to walk from the Metra to home after maybe a late night out...also walking to grocery stores and shopping centers would be a plus. Out of the three, La Grange seems to be the midpoint of the two places-

Which parts would you recommend that are affordable but relatively low crime and contains activities for a young couples in their 20s?

We are not worried about the standard of school systems since we do not have any kids-we are looking to rent row houses within $900 -is that feasible?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM

677 posts, read 3,805,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB_MOVING View Post
Thanks Folks!

I will work downtown Chicago and he will work in Aurora, so the midway point is what we are looking at this point, maybe a bit closer to the city since I will be moving to Chicago because of his job ....
Hinsdale, Western Springs and LaGrange sounds interesting- What do you view to be the crime level in those areas? I did a few searches and it seemed to reflect that La Grange was pretty shady in some areas. I would like to walk from the Metra to home after maybe a late night out...also walking to grocery stores and shopping centers would be a plus. Out of the three, La Grange seems to be the midpoint of the two places-

Which parts would you recommend that are affordable but relatively low crime and contains activities for a young couples in their 20s?

We are not worried about the standard of school systems since we do not have any kids-we are looking to rent row houses within $900 -is that feasible?

Thanks!
Hinsdale, Western Springs, and La Grange are extremely safe. It's only the eastern edge of La Grange that is questionable. You will be fine walking around downtown La Grange late at night - there's always lots of people around. I'm not sure you'll find a house to rent under $900 though, you might have to look at Brookfield or North Riverside for that, and those towns are reasonably safe but I wouldn't walk alone at night there. I'm overly cautious but it sounds like you are too.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks!
Please bear with us as we entertain all options. We feel that we are so limited in our knowledge of Chicago...thanks for all your input thus far!
Just entertaining another possibility-what about living in the South Loop(?)(a friend's friend suggested that) within the city..He mentioned prices were "affordable" in terms of wanting to buy a house....which is a possibility for us in a year or so....Coming from DC where the average price is well over $400k what is affordable there? is it safe there?

he mentioned it is feasible to commute to aurora from there daily-what do you good folks think?
Is the south loop safe? or just stick to looking in the suburbs? we want the city life...but he has to work in Aurora--what to do?

Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,372,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avemaria47 View Post
Move to Aurora, Aurora, Aurora! . . .
Why would you recommend Aurora when the OP's criteria CLEARLY AND EXPLICITLY rules out Aurora as an option?

Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 AM

At any rate, other options to consider would be Oak Brook and Villa Park. Oak Brook is 10% Indian and about 8% other Asian. (Villa Park isn't quite as colorful, but it does border Oak Brook.) Thai restaurants are fairly common around the Chicagoland area. Korean eateries aren't as common in the suburbs but there is a large Korean pocket on the northwest side of the city where Korean restaurants are plentiful. Pakistani cuisine is pretty much limited to the Devon Avenue corridor that someone else alread mentioned.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:27 AM

Ok-I think we have a couple of options to work with here
-Thanks All!!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Ok we are definitely considering La Grange- any good rent places that we should be looking at present in that area? Where to look for temp to rent places? we have already searched on Craigslist but do not know what is good or bad? Any places that you would definitely reccomend around there that is close to the metra?walking distance maybe?

Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 PM

4,665 posts, read 8,671,286 times
I'd suggest also looking into Forest Park. It has more of an urban feel, with Madison st lined with bars/restaurants, and borders Oak Park, which is filled with great restaurants and shopping itself. More importantly, commute-wise, it would be a relatively easy commute out to Aurora, as it borders 290 at exactly the point where it tends to clear up in the morning (prob 25-35 min mornings). It also has 2 Blue Line (CTA) stops for you to get downtown (about 30 min from Forest Park to the Loop).

LaGrange is also a nice suburb, but I think you'll find more rental options in Forest Park - as well as easier access into the city.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 PM

thanks jdiddy. i will definitely look into that-what are the closest metra stops to that area or the CTA blue line that you mentioned?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM

There is a Blue Line stop in Forest Park itself. The closest Metra stops would be either Oak Park or River Forest, depending on which part of Forest Park you're in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or