Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 PM

34 posts, read 114,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
You old people seem to think everything's all fine and dandy for us young people - the way it was when you were our age. Young people are moving back in with mom and dad to raise kids of thier own. This is today's America - even in the oh-so-much-more prosperous areas like Dupage County and the North Shore.
Dude, I'm on your side here. I know things are bad for young people and I'm pulling for the south suburbs big time. I know that most young people can't afford $400,000 houses and condos. That's why I think H-F should be a huge destination for people looking for a house to settle down somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieLannister View Post
Dude, I'm on your side here. I know things are bad for young people and I'm pulling for the south suburbs big time. I know that most young people can't afford $400,000 houses and condos. That's why I think H-F should be a huge destination for people looking for a house to settle down somewhere.

I think so too.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban-Mess View Post
How do you think the southern suburbs from say Orland Park/New Lenox to the Indiana state line will be 10, 20 years from now. Do you think the area will stay the same? Improve? Decline? How about the shopping options such as Orland, Chicago Ridge, Lincoln, Homewood, and River Oaks will be? The schools? Etc. Please share your opinions.
Orland Mall AND River Oaks seem to be doing fine. River Oaks is serving its customer base very well and is always packed with people. Orland Square is massive and always seems to be attracting new businesses and supplying something for everybody. Lincoln Mall (and the rest of Matteson's shopping options) is what concerns me. I fear it's not gonna be much of anything at all anymore pretty soon.. Oddly enough, the DINING options in Matteson seem to be doing fine though.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM

36 posts, read 64,122 times
Any thoughts about how Dolton, Calumet City, Lansing, South Holland, Lynwood, Sauk Village, Ford Heights, Chicago Heights, and Glenwood will be in the future?

Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Any thoughts about how Dolton, Calumet City, Lansing, South Holland, Lynwood, Sauk Village, Ford Heights, Chicago Heights, and Glenwood will be in the future?
What a number of different questions!

Dolton and South Holland seem stable. Sauk Village seems to be doing worse. Crime sky rocketed from 2000 to 2010. Business in Glenwood seem to be doing great (along with the stretch of Halsted that goes through Homewood). Crime in Glenwood is stable (as of 2012, a good friend of mine is a cop in that dept). Ford Heights has always been the infamous Ford Heights. Chicago Heights varies depending on the area. Overall, I'd say it's stable. Lansing is debatable and I wont comment (at least not with a generalized one-liner). Lynwood is growing in previously undeveloped areas - and seems to be attracting a middle class black population.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM

36 posts, read 64,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Orland Mall AND River Oaks seem to be doing fine. River Oaks is serving its customer base very well and is always packed with people. Orland Square is massive and always seems to be attracting new businesses and supplying something for everybody. Lincoln Mall (and the rest of Matteson's shopping options) is what concerns me. I fear it's not gonna be much of anything at all anymore pretty soon.. Oddly enough, the DINING options in Matteson seem to be doing fine though.
I always thought that Matteson and the Lincoln Mall area tried to be like the Woodfield of the southern suburbs with the office midrises. Seems that area handles traffic very well along 30 with three thru lanes. Too bad Torrence, Harlem, LaGrange, and 159th aren't like that.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I always thought that Matteson and the Lincoln Mall area tried to be like the Woodfield of the southern suburbs with the office midrises. Seems that area handles traffic very well along 30 with three thru lanes. Too bad Torrence, Harlem, LaGrange, and 159th aren't like that.
I dont think I've ever been to Woodfield. But I'm a little bitter about Lincoln Mall because JUST THIS DECADE it has a lot more going for it. I'm originally from Park Forest and in high school, I used to ride my bicycle to it and see my friend who worked at the Spencer's there. Spencer's is gone and Suncoast Video and other things but Azizi Books is still a good store that is surprisingly at Lincoln Mall. Lincoln Mall still wasn't even a draw around Xmas time this year. People kept it local at the Matteson Target not the mall.

Lincoln Highway still has a lot of stuff - but Border and Best Buy closed down and nothing replaced them. Even though I live in Flossmoor now, I still prefer going there over Halsted. I ususually go to the Best Buy in Orland. Lincoln Highway, Matteson is one of the places I learned how to drive. Yeah, it's easier to drive on than Lagrange or River Oaks Drive. I suppose you're right. Other areas should take notice of the three lanes on Lincoln Highway.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Way back when the genuises that planned the third airport they were predicting growth in air freight, of course that was way way before Amazon became the powerhouse it is. Back then the biggest users of overnight delivery were probably law firms, didn't really make sense to some folks that there would be that much need for a separate airport.

Of course now that FedEx & UPS do have massive package hubs in places like Lexington there is not much need for another "middle of the country" type facility, third airport is probably out of the picture...

I am not aware of any massive expansion of the refineries / steel mills in NW Indiana or out past Joliet. Most folks still do not like any expansion of traditional pollution generating industries, though the salaries at those places are often higher than the befign freight type warehouses...
Chicago Heights is "out past Joliet"? Lincoln Highway / Route 30 goes east and west through both towns.. Harvey is another town that used to have a lot of industry and still has some. It's definitely a lot closer to the city than Joliet.

So Chet, can you tell me about the "massive expansion" of white collar industries in the north and west suburbs? I'm not aware of any.

Happy New Year, y'all.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 PM

117 posts, read 332,975 times
Housing in the southern suburbs has always relied heavily on the first time homebuyer. With the exception of maybe flossmoor and olympia fields. What I've noticed the most during this economic slowdown in relationship to people wanting to buy a house in the southern suburbs. Is there are just fewer potential first time homebuyers out there in this market now. And just about as few as any other time in recent history. A single family home is a huge financial commitment that fewer people are in a position to afford right now. I just don't see too many people who don't already own a house thinking about going out and purchasing a home right now. Renting a house, and waiting to make such a big financial commitment is starting to be the more common among potential first time buyers. The taxes are too high for average incomes, the public schools in the southern suburbs are hit or miss at best, and home prices are not going to stabilize until a full economic revitalization occurs. Which I won't be holding my breath until that happens. Aw how I miss the good old George Bush glory days when homes sold in weeks not years. And pigs cold fly. And just about anyone walking off the street could by a $250,000 house with little money down.

But I digress. The south suburbs has some wonderful neighborhoods that have held up beyond expectations. Flossmoor is doing great. Olympia Fields looks great. Homewood is as nice as ever. Matteson looks nice. And most of the other towns like glenwood, country club hills, and richton park are holding up so so also. Don't get me wrong. Those who are in the position to buy are still buying. A home in flossmoor just sold last month for 500k. Sure that used to be a more common occurance. But in this current economy, areas like flossmoor are hanging in there. I wouldn't say Flossmoor has lost too much ground. If any at all.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
How do you think the southern suburbs from say Orland Park/New Lenox to the Indiana state line will be 10, 20 years from now. Do you think the area will stay the same? Improve? Decline? How about the shopping options such as Orland, Chicago Ridge, Lincoln, Homewood, and River Oaks will be? The schools? Etc. Please share your opinions.
There's no way they can go anywhere but down. The state is declining fast and so is the country. The same Big Government mentality that drove IL into the ground is driving the US into the ground. There's, literally, 0.0000000000000% chance of improvement in states like, IL, CA, NY, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs