Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 PM

117 posts, read 332,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Just looked it up. Midlothian is 65 percent white. 20 percent Hispanic and 11 percent black.
Sounds majority white to me. That's another thing. The threshold for being a white neighborhood is always so high. If there is any noticeable minority population living in a less than ideal majority white suburb. People are quick to point that out as the disclaimer for the reason being why the neighborhood is now considered to be less than ideal. My point being there are plenty of less than ideal majority white suburbs. So why is there this high level of scrutiny on less than ideal majority black suburbs of similar class. And I find your lack of knowledge when it comes to majority white less than ideal neighborhoods like worth, midlothian, and crestwood to be quite common. Sure Hazel Crest and Country Club Hills aren't exactly the images of ideal suburbs. But neither are the majority white suburbs that I mentioned. And I hardly hardly ever here anyone scrutinizing those suburbs or having anything to say about them at all for that matter.

Last edited by tjake; 01-06-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
I completely disagree though. Rich white people turn thier noses down on modest areas with any racial demographics all the time. They don't care as much as we do. They want us divided by race.

Hazel Crest definitely has more crime than Crestwood. CC Hills has a white mayor that is crooked as hell.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 PM

217 posts, read 580,920 times
I'll give it to you the way noboby else will... White people left the south side of Chicago because of the "blacks" moving in. They went to Oak Lawn, Burbank, Chi. Ridge, the Palos's, Alsip, Crestwood, Oak Forest, Bridgview, Hickory Hills, ECT.... Now fast foward to thier Kids Circa 1985 - to present. Where did they go? Orland Park, Tinley Park, Palos. Where are there kids going? New Lenox, Lockport, Mokena, Minooka ect. Why do these people keep moving farther away. because they dont want to raise thier kids in a war zone where thier Parents and grandparents used to live and cheaper housing. They are trying to get away from black people and what they bring when they move in. So mods delete this post cause it aint politically correct, but for thoes of you who read it I want you to know it's all about raising your kids with a certian quality of life that you yourself was raised in for your kids. Flame Away!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM

217 posts, read 580,920 times
So if you want to know how the south/west suburbs are going watch the black population and you will see where the white population will go.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM

300 posts, read 638,723 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Just looked it up. Midlothian is 65 percent white. 20 percent Hispanic and 11 percent black.
Amazing how the demographics of the South Suburbs have changed in 20 years. Country Club Hills was 80% White in the 70s-80s now its 85% Black with the only white people being mostly 65 years or older. Mexicans are growing in alot of cities, Oak Forest,Blue Island, and Chicago Heights. You can easily tell if its a Latino presence if you see that LK crown on the sidewalk

Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 PM

300 posts, read 638,723 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
I'll give it to you the way noboby else will... White people left the south side of Chicago because of the "blacks" moving in. They went to Oak Lawn, Burbank, Chi. Ridge, the Palos's, Alsip, Crestwood, Oak Forest, Bridgview, Hickory Hills, ECT.... Now fast foward to thier Kids Circa 1985 - to present. Where did they go? Orland Park, Tinley Park, Palos. Where are there kids going? New Lenox, Lockport, Mokena, Minooka ect. Why do these people keep moving farther away. because they dont want to raise thier kids in a war zone where thier Parents and grandparents used to live and cheaper housing. They are trying to get away from black people and what they bring when they move in. So mods delete this post cause it aint politically correct, but for thoes of you who read it I want you to know it's all about raising your kids with a certian quality of life that you yourself was raised in for your kids. Flame Away!!!
I think the whites are done with moving, Mokena,New Lenox, and Frankfort are too upclass and rich for ghetto blacks from the Southside to move in. Section 8ers have ruined the South Suburbs, once the projects got torn down they all started moving out here. Now, not all Blacks out in the southland are ghetto, Olympia Fields & Homewood Flossmoor kills that notion. CEOs of big companies stay out there!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 PM

117 posts, read 332,891 times
Well it's true there will probably be limited section 8 infiltration in mokena, frankfort, and new lenox. But it will be for the same exact reasons that higher end south suburbs like flossmoor and olympia fields have also seen very little increase in section 8 renters. It just doesn't make good financial sense for landlords to have such a high carrying cost with the high property taxes and the higher prices of the properties.

As for many of the further out surrounding sw suburbs like shorewood, crest hill, manhatten, and minooka. Those suburbs are not immune and have already started showing signs of economic distress brought on by reasons not dissimilar to how many middle income south suburbs are being hit. Extremely high foreclosure rates. It's actually kind of shocking to see it happen all the way out there. Because most people have no idea how serious the foreclosure situation is in the further out southwest suburbs. It currently looks pretty similar to what is going on in many middle income south suburbs. And blacks certainly aren't the culprit in those far out neighborhoods. Just mostly folks buying homes out there that they couldn't actually afford. Throw in the high price of gas with the long commuting to those rural suburban areas.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
Sounds majority white to me. That's another thing. The threshold for being a white neighborhood is always so high. If there is any noticeable minority population living in a less than ideal majority white suburb. People are quick to point that out as the disclaimer for the reason being why the neighborhood is now considered to be less than ideal. My point being there are plenty of less than ideal majority white suburbs. So why is there this high level of scrutiny on less than ideal majority black suburbs of similar class. And I find your lack of knowledge when it comes to majority white less than ideal neighborhoods like worth, midlothian, and crestwood to be quite common. Sure Hazel Crest and Country Club Hills aren't exactly the images of ideal suburbs. But neither are the majority white suburbs that I mentioned. And I hardly hardly ever here anyone scrutinizing those suburbs or having anything to say about them at all for that matter.
I completely agree with this and have potnted out this contradiction numerous times on this forum before. If a town is 20 percent white and 80 percent black, it will be referred to as a "black suburb". If it's 80 percent white and 20 percent black, it will be a "diverse suburb".

I like that Crestwood has a new AMC theater with Imax. But so does CC Hills and that's the one I've always gone to.. Crestwood also has a 24/7 Walmart but again, I go to the one in CC Hills because it's closer to home.. I know that Crestwood has a lot of condos and this could definitely sway the economic statistics about the town. This isn't necessarilly representive of the incomes of those who live in Crestwood houses.

Midlothian is as racially diverse as Oak Park.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
Well it's true there will probably be limited section 8 infiltration in mokena, frankfort, and new lenox. But it will be for the same exact reasons that higher end south suburbs like flossmoor and olympia fields have also seen very little increase in section 8 renters. It just doesn't make good financial sense for landlords to have such a high carrying cost with the high property taxes and the higher prices of the properties.

As for many of the further out surrounding sw suburbs like shorewood, crest hill, manhatten, and minooka. Those suburbs are not immune and have already started showing signs of economic distress brought on by reasons not dissimilar to how many middle income south suburbs are being hit. Extremely high foreclosure rates. It's actually kind of shocking to see it happen all the way out there. Because most people have no idea how serious the foreclosure situation is in the further out southwest suburbs. It currently looks pretty similar to what is going on in many middle income south suburbs. And blacks certainly aren't the culprit in those far out neighborhoods. Just mostly folks buying homes out there that they couldn't actually afford. Throw in the high price of gas with the long commuting to those rural suburban areas.
Wait, are you under the impression that all the towns that are JUST OUTSIDE JOLIET are 99.9 percent white?

This is why I didn't run my mouth too much about any of the three towns you asked me about:

Black people absolutely are living outside Joliet - even if they mostly live inside Joliet. Also, 20 percent seems really low for Crest Hill in my experience. However, I guess a lot of the people you see in Crest Hill don't actually live in Crest Hill but in Joliet.

"Certainly not the culprit"? Why are you so certain of thier innocence? Why so certain? And how would an entire race ever be a "culrpit"? Everyone has thier own story.

Last edited by urza216; 01-07-2013 at 01:12 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
I'm not gonna flame away. If you use the search button, you can find threads like this that have many posts from several different posters saying things like this.

A mod shouldn't have to delete your post. Censorship suggests that what you're saying can't be shown to be wrong with a counter-arguement. Censership suggests that what you're saying is RIGHT..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs