Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,012,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Major decline, when its no employment options and all of the good economic go to Dupage County & The Northside nothing will EVER get better. I live in Country Club Hills and its declined from a relatively small community in the 80s and 90s to a city where its blocks with 3 or 4 vacant houses and the houses that are occupied being Section 8. Well I dont see all of the South Suburbs declining, I see places like Orland Park,Tinley Park,New Lenox,Mokena, and H-F growing. As for shopping I see Orland being the top dog of the South Suburban shopping malls. Lincoln Mall & River Oaks are dead.
River Oaks? Just because it's dead to you doesn't mean it's actually dead. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 PM

300 posts, read 634,175 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
River Oaks? Just because it's dead to you doesn't mean it's actually dead. lol
Whats in River Oaks? Back in the 80s it use to be the spot, everyone on the Southside would go out there. I havent been in River Oaks in over 5 years, Chicago Ridge & Orland are the best South suburban malls, wish I could include Lincoln Mall on the list but thats gonna become another Dixie Square in a bit. Though, is Chicago Ridge really South Suburban

Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM

300 posts, read 634,175 times
Default Hazel Crest?

Quote:
Flossmoor isn't surrounded by as much affluence as Orland Park. Not every suburbanite wants to live so close to Hazel Crest, Makham and Chicago Heights. Simarly, this is a drawback for some people to Oak Forest (80%+ white) which is very close to Markham and Harvey.

But more importantly - There's not a lot of retail in Flossmoor so I don't know why the two are being compared to begin with. Orland to Cal City makes sense and Orland to Matteson makes sense. But comparing Flossmoor to Orland Park? Huh? What point are you trying to prove?
You make it seem like Hazel Crest is a slumhole like Harvey or Markham...The only "bad" part is the most eastern portion near Harvey and the Metra tracks

Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
You make it seem like Hazel Crest is a slumhole like Harvey or Markham...The only "bad" part is the most eastern portion near Harvey and the Metra tracks
I was considering putting a little footnote at the end of my post about Hazel Crest. I was referring to perception. I said that not everyone is a fan of living near it but I didn't say anything about how I perceive it. Actually, since living in Flossmoor, I've grown a lot more familar with Hazel Crest - Artison Gyros and Bubble Buddy laundramat aon Kedzie and also I've used that ATM at Hazel Crest's Bank Finiancial location on 183rd numerous times. I kinda view it as being like Park Forest but without the noticable white minority - not a particarly bad place, no. It's a modest area with SOME crime and not a lot of local bussiness. But just as Park Forest is extremely close to showing and dining areas Matteson, Hazel Crest is extremely close to Homewood and 167th / Pulaski.

Last edited by urza216; 01-06-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:
I was considering putting a little footnote at the end of my post about Hazel Crest. I was referring to perception. I said that not everyone is a fan of living near it but I didn't say anything about how I perceive it. Actually, since living in Flossmoor, I've grown a lot more familar with Hazel Crest - Artison Gyros and Bubble Buddy laundramat aon Kedzie and also I've used that ATM at Hazel Crest's Bank Finiancial location on 183rd numerous times. I kinda view it as being like Park Forest but without the noticable white minority - not a particarly bad place, no. It's a modest area with SOME crime and not a lot of local bussiness. But just as Park Forest is extremely close to showing and dining areas Matteson, Hazel Crest is extremely close to Homewood and 167th / Pulaski.
*laundromat on Kedzie

*shopping and dining areas

Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Whats in River Oaks? Back in the 80s it use to be the spot, everyone on the Southside would go out there. I havent been in River Oaks in over 5 years, Chicago Ridge & Orland are the best South suburban malls, wish I could include Lincoln Mall on the list but thats gonna become another Dixie Square in a bit. Though, is Chicago Ridge really South Suburban
It's south of I-55 so technically it's the southwest suburbs. Although it's actually closer to Oak Park than most southern Cook County suburbs. People that live in the area definitely consider themselves to live "out south" though..

Chicago Ridge is closer to the west side of Chicago than Indiana. But I GUESS it's south suburban, yeah.. To someone who lives near Ohare, Chicago Ridge is the epirome of "south side". Say you live in Flossmoor and they've never even heard of it, lol

Last edited by urza216; 01-06-2013 at 03:04 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM

117 posts, read 331,134 times
Quote:
Curious to get your opinion. As to how do you see nearby similarly comparable income and class suburbs that are mostly white. Such as crestwood, worth, and midlothian. How do you see those suburbs in relation to similar income majority black suburbs such as Country Club Hills or hazel crest? I mention this because I hardly ever even hear anything mentioned about the less than ideal working class / lower middle income majority white suburbs. Only mention of the ideally middle class mostly white suburbs such as tinley or orland. Neighborhoods such as midlothian, worth, and crestwood seem not to get the same negative scrutiny as similar income majority black neighborhoods. Why is that?

Last edited by tjake; 01-06-2013 at 06:42 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
Curious to get your opinion. As to how do you see nearby similarly comparable income and class suburbs that are mostly white. Such as crestwood, worth, and midlothian. How do you see those suburbs in relation to similar income majority black suburbs such as Country Club Hills or hazel crest? I mention this because I hardly ever even hear anything mentioned about the less than ideal working class / lower middle income majority white suburbs. Only mention of the ideally middle class mostly white suburbs such as tinley or orland. Neighborhoods such as midlothian, worth, and crestwood seem not to get the same negative scrutiny as similar income majority black neighborhoods. Why is that?
I have passed through Worth before and seen it mentioned in the Southtown Star. I really have no opinion. Midlonian isn't THAT white. Something you and Allen have strongly on common is the denial of the existence of Mexicans. I really am not that familiar with Midlothian either though. Crestwood definitely has a working class element but it's also kinda yuppie. I am most familiar with Crestwood because there's a spot on Route 50 where me and some friends have hung out before. Really though, I've never ventured into any of the neighorhoods themselves in any of those towns. I do know a black girl in Homewood who used to live in Midlothian though.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Just looked it up. Midlothian is 65 percent white. 20 percent Hispanic and 11 percent black.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM

117 posts, read 331,134 times
Quote:
I have passed through Worth before and seen it mentioned in the Southtown Star. I really have no opinion. Midlonian isn't THAT white. Something you and Allen have strongly on common is the denial of the existence of Mexicans. I really am not that familiar with Midlothian either though. Crestwood definitely has a working class element but it's also kinda yuppie. I am most familiar with Crestwood because there's a spot on Route 50 where me and some friends have hung out before. Really though, I've never ventured into any of the neighorhoods themselves in any of those towns. I do know a black girl in Homewood who used to live in Midlothian though.
Maybe that is what it is. You should get a little experience in those areas. And in many will county suburbs as well. You will find more similarities than differences. As far as many of the issues that occur in similar class majority black suburbs like country club hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs